trying2fly
Could not stand not knowing if this ship could buck winds so I made the X31. I am in goods spirits but filled with trepidation in anticipation of it's maiden flight. If anyone has flown this plane and has any knowledge of idiosyncratic behavior inherent in the design and flight of this plane please give me all of the input you can. I am fearful only divine intervention will save this one from imminent fusion with terra-firma. thanx!X-31 005.JPG 
Quote 2 0
whatmovesyou
Plane will react in the winds with a high degree of control if you add a movable rudder. Otherwise, it will try to control you. Canards are the key here.
I like to design and fly unique planes.
Quote 1 0
bogusbandit56
Quote:
Could not stand not knowing if this ship could buck winds so I made the X31. I am in goods spirits but filled with trepidation in anticipation of it's maiden flight. If anyone has flown this plane and has any knowledge of idiosyncratic behavior inherent in the design and flight of this plane please give me all of the input you can. I am fearful only divine intervention will save this one from imminent fusion with terra-firma. thanx![ATTACH=full]56353[/ATTACH]

I never saw Dave Powers fly one of his models in the wind
Wot, no Depron?
Quote 4 0
F1wanabe
The super light profile planes tend to get snagged by the wind to the point that you may have a split second to react. Pretty fun and easy to fix, but don't have the stability of a 3d nose. Rudder really helps as whatmovesyou says.
Quote 0 0
trying2fly
Quote:
I never saw Dave Powers fly one of his models in the wind

Ian, we have both agreed this model would not be one to be flown in formidable winds. I proceeded against the grain for two ill conceived reasons. First, I have little choice in the choice of winds to fly . Secondly, the design and looks of the plane intrigued me making it impossible for me to deny. I plan to have at my immediate disposal a sharp shovel when I attempt the maiden. This way it will be easier to retrieve what is left. . I will await your post of "I told you so!!"/I deserve it!! chas Ps I have only to put my servo for the rudder and I should be good to go.
Quote 3 0
trying2fly
Quote:
The super light profile planes tend to get snagged by the wind to the point that you may have a split second to react. Pretty fun and easy to fix, but don't have the stability of a 3d nose. Rudder really helps as whatmovesyou says.

Greg, both you and Ian should be international diplomats. The two of you are kind and encouraging. I prematurely posted my picture of the X-31 without a movable rudder. I am in process of doing that. I thank Whatmovesyou for his quick and worthy mention of this. Again I appreciate the observations and suggestions from all of you. You and Ian are kindly preparing me for what is inevitable thanx chas
Quote 3 0
bogusbandit56
Quote:
Greg, both you and Ian should be international diplomats. The two of you are kind and encouraging. I prematurely posted my picture of the X-31 without a movable rudder. I am in process of doing that. I thank Whatmovesyou for his quick and worthy mention of this. Again I appreciate the observations and suggestions from all of you. You and Ian are kindly preparing me for what is inevitable thanx chas

My time spent flying deltas taught me a few things and the main reason I don`t build long narrow ones is because they are very susceptible to side winds.
If you get up early before the wind starts you will have some fun.
This is a Draken of similar shape but probably much lighter. If you can see, the wind tries to turn the plane over when banking in a side wind.
I think the only thing going for the delta is they don`t stall and can roll like a bullet.
I think I put the music on this video to cover up all the swearing
Wot, no Depron?
Quote 4 0
trying2fly
Quote:
My time spent flying deltas taught me a few things and the main reason I don`t build long narrow ones is because they are very susceptible to side winds.
If you get up early before the wind starts you will have some fun.
This is a Draken of similar shape but probably much lighter. If you can see, the wind tries to turn the plane over when banking in a side wind.
I think the only thing going for the delta is they don`t stall and can roll like a bullet. No need for swearing on this flight...it was a fine flight~~ I was surprised at how slow you could fly it and still have so much control. I don't think you had a movable rudder did you? It didn't look to me that side winds were a problem for you but then again you were doing the piloting. I like that plane..looks like a lot of fun~~ chas
I think I put the music on this video to cover up all the swearing
Quote 3 0
bogusbandit56
Quote:

These days I would not consider those conditions very windy, but as we get very few days that it not raining or blowing, I tend to fly planes more suitable for windy weather.
Wot, no Depron?
Quote 3 0
trying2fly
Quote:
These days I would not consider those conditions very windy, but as we get very few days that it not raining or blowing, I tend to fly planes more suitable for windy weather.

Ian...what is the avg. daily wind speed where you fly?
Quote 1 0
bogusbandit56
Quote:
Ian...what is the avg. daily wind speed where you fly?

According to the interweb the average wind speed in the UK between 2010 and 2017 was 9.4 knots about 10.5 MPH, so it is pretty calm compared to WWT where you are.
I fly in a river valley and some of the turbulence caused can make for some very interesting flying.
I have a friend who will not entertain flying in that location due to that fact.
I tend to fly planes that will slice through the air like flying wings or bully my way through with over powered models. I don`t tend to fly fast but use the extra power to get out of trouble.
In your case I would recommend a sleek model that is capable of slicing trough the air and give it a bit more power to bring the plane back home.
I used to have to wait for calm winds to fly my Park Jets but soon got fed up with waiting for ideal conditions and changed the type of model to suit the flying conditions.

You can put more powerful set ups in park jets but I don`t like heavy wing loaded models as they tend to break in heavy landings and lose maneuverability.
I did have a Bixler 2 that would get tossed around and just end up going where the wind took it and I ended up putting a 2826 2200kva motor in which gave it much more authority in windy conditions.
Wot, no Depron?
Quote 2 0
bogusbandit56
My Gotha P.60 weighs about the same as a Park jet and has a turnigy 2826 2200kva motor but runs on low rated 1300 3s batteries.
Even when the wind blows hard it will still "cut the mustard".
Wot, no Depron?
Quote 2 0
trying2fly
Quote:
According to the interweb the average wind speed in the UK between 2010 and 2017 was 9.4 knots about 10.5 MPH, so it is pretty calm compared to WWT where you are.
I fly in a river valley and some of the turbulence caused can make for some very interesting flying.
I have a friend who will not entertain flying in that location due to that fact.
I tend to fly planes that will slice through the air like flying wings or bully my way through with over powered models. I don`t tend to fly fast but use the extra power to get out of trouble. I replaced the stock 1800 mah on my Hawk Sky with a Grayson MicroJet and went from a 5X5 to a 6X4 to keep it from going to Mexico. Many days I would have to land with at least 50% of full power. It takes the fun out of pleasure flying for fun and relaxation so ...as you have done I have migrated to other planes. If I am up at the crack of dawn the HawkSky is a load of fun. I use it when attempting to locate mule deer for ranchers occasionally but the light blue-white color makes for losing it into clouds when I get high enough to video the herds. chas
In your case I would recommend a sleek model that is capable of slicing trough the air and give it a bit more power to bring the plane back home.
I used to have to wait for calm winds to fly my Park Jets but soon got fed up with waiting for ideal conditions and changed the type of model to suit the flying conditions.

You can put more powerful set ups in park jets but I don`t like heavy wing loaded models as they tend to break in heavy landings and lose maneuverability.
I did have a Bixler 2 that would get tossed around and just end up going where the wind took it and I ended up putting a 2826 2200kva motor in which gave it much more authority in windy conditions.
Quote 0 0
trying2fly
Your P.60 is the Mercedes of RC Planes. I know that certain days out here would enable me to say "adios" to my Hawk Sky. I am Southwest of Coke Co. and the average wind speed according to National Weather Service is 22.92 Mph. For the State of Texas in general the avg wind speed is 15.5 and for the US it is 16.93. I would happily settle for a daily speed of 22.92 but to get the average you have to endure many many of those days at 30-40 Mph. I have reconciled my desires to enjoy this hobby with anything nature throws at me. . If I had your talent in flying along with your squadron of planes I might consider my self in heaven rather than far west Texas. chas PS ..the profile Mig29V1's and the F-22's I have don't care what the wind is!!!
Quote 2 0
FED50H
Dumb the controls down for the ailerons...it is super twitchy if not. A lot of fun and quick to build....way quicker to nose plant for a learning pilot....I built it as one of my first builds and could not keep it in the air....it rolled too fast for me to stay ahead of....I revisited it a few years later with a few changes and more piloting skills...good luck...
Quote 4 0