bogusbandit56
I have yet to see a model of the BAe Taranis so I decided to have a go at one for myself.
Drawings are very few and far between although BAe have released footage of their super sonic UCAS.
Taranis is the Celtic god of thunder and I wonder if it could be a corruption of the Viking thunder god Thor, which I believe is pronounce Tor in Scandanavia. Lars will put me right on that one
I`m going for the simple approach of KF2 wing with built up lower fuselage section and simple inverted V section on top.
I have a feeling my calculations may be out but never mind , let`s see if it flies
Wot, no Depron?
Quote 3 0
Sterling101
I may have to build an EDF version of this in the future - would suit it so well I think...
Whoever said nothing is impossible had obviously never tried slamming a revolving door...
Quote 2 0
bogusbandit56
Quote:
I may have to build an EDF version of this in the future - would suit it so well I think...

Let us see how this one fly`s, it might be a waste of depron
Agreed an EDF would probably suit very well, I have thought about that option.
Wot, no Depron?
Quote 2 0
Sterling101
Decided to have a play as I'm working on a little project using a NAZE32 as a flight stabiliser and figured it would be a good basis for testing.

As yet I've not decided what to do about the vertical stabilisers but will be fun all the same. So far it's only in the computer but it's starting to look about right and should allow for a reasonable build method with an airfoil built into the wing shape and matching up to the centre of the fuselage area.
I'm looking at building with a 50mm EDF on a 4S but that may or may not be the case as I get further along with the design.

Here's goes nothing

Taranis v1.0.png 
Whoever said nothing is impossible had obviously never tried slamming a revolving door...
Quote 3 0
bogusbandit56
Quote:
Decided to have a play as I'm working on a little project using a NAZE32 as a flight stabiliser and figured it would be a good basis for testing.

As yet I've not decided what to do about the vertical stabilisers but will be fun all the same. So far it's only in the computer but it's starting to look about right and should allow for a reasonable build method with an airfoil built into the wing shape and matching up to the centre of the fuselage area.
I'm looking at building with a 50mm EDF on a 4S but that may or may not be the case as I get further along with the design.

Here's goes nothing

[ATTACH=full]53841[/ATTACH]

This looks great Leigh.I was looking at yet another of my unfinished projects today, I`ve only got the top superstructure to do and fit electrics.
Wot, no Depron?
Quote 2 0
Sterling101
Quote:
This looks great Leigh.I was looking at yet another of my unfinished projects today, I`ve only got the top superstructure to do and fit electrics.


Just adjusting bits to see if I can fit the EDF internally and use the rear of the fuselage as an exhaust for it. Still learning the software at the same time too so it's all good fun
Whoever said nothing is impossible had obviously never tried slamming a revolving door...
Quote 2 0
Sterling101
Well, I think with a little bit of fiddling this will work pretty well.

Paper version printed out and assembled - very fiddly at this size but it works to get the look of the design anyway. Sized it so that the EDF can have a clear shot though with minimal restriction and have enough room for the battery in the belly.
Next stop a 50% version to confirm the cuts work I think...

IMG_20180127_235449_085.jpg 

IMG_20180127_235457_590.jpg 

IMG_20180127_235507_879.jpg 
Whoever said nothing is impossible had obviously never tried slamming a revolving door...
Quote 3 0
bogusbandit56
Quote:
Well, I think with a little bit of fiddling this will work pretty well.

Paper version printed out and assembled - very fiddly at this size but it works to get the look of the design anyway. Sized it so that the EDF can have a clear shot though with minimal restriction and have enough room for the battery in the belly.
Next stop a 50% version to confirm the cuts work I think...

[ATTACH=full]53847[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]53848[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]53849[/ATTACH]

You`re a clever bugger
Wot, no Depron?
Quote 3 0
Sterling101
Quote:
You`re a clever bugger

Stubborn you mean - wasn't going to let it beat me

Tried a test CG position with a bit of blu tack in the nose and it glides ok but is unstable in yaw as expected. Might have to stick some wing tip fins on just to give it a bit of natural stability...
Whoever said nothing is impossible had obviously never tried slamming a revolving door...
Quote 2 0
bogusbandit56
Quote:
Stubborn you mean - wasn't going to let it beat me

Tried a test CG position with a bit of blu tack in the nose and it glides ok but is unstable in yaw as expected. Might have to stick some wing tip fins on just to give it a bit of natural stability...

You can cut some clear plastic fins, that way you won`t spoil the look.
I meant with all that computer know how.
Wot, no Depron?
Quote 2 0
Flybyknight22
Quote:
Stubborn you mean - wasn't going to let it beat me

Tried a test CG position with a bit of blu tack in the nose and it glides ok but is unstable in yaw as expected. Might have to stick some wing tip fins on just to give it a bit of natural stability...

That’s what the Naz32 is for
And on the 8th day God said: "Go NAVY",.. and it was good! Pray like everything depends on God. Prepare like everything depends on you.
Quote 2 0
Sterling101
Quote:
That’s what the Naz32 is for

It's just whether I trust it or not...
Whoever said nothing is impossible had obviously never tried slamming a revolving door...
Quote 2 0
Sterling101
From yesterday morning learning how to do the modelling to now I'd say it's come on pretty well...

IMG_20180128_231304_738.jpg 

IMG_20180128_231315_491.jpg 

IMG_20180128_232352_804.jpg 

Just over a metre span and the whole thing is held together with bits of masking tape here and there - nothing more!
Internal spar holds the airfoil over the top and the inner belly to upper fuselage part helps shape the nose and upper fuselage area. The whole thing is literally holding itself into shape as I expected it to when I had it in the computer.

Very satisfying feeling when you see something that you imagined on the computer come to life that well, that quickly and that successfully.

CG has been calculated so with a bit of luck a glide test might happen tomorrow. Possibly - if there's not gale force winds again...
Whoever said nothing is impossible had obviously never tried slamming a revolving door...
Quote 3 0
bogusbandit56
Quote:
From yesterday morning learning how to do the modelling to now I'd say it's come on pretty well...

[ATTACH=full]53856[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]53857[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]53858[/ATTACH]

Just over a metre span and the whole thing is held together with bits of masking tape here and there - nothing more!
Internal spar holds the airfoil over the top and the inner belly to upper fuselage part helps shape the nose and upper fuselage area. The whole thing is literally holding itself into shape as I expected it to when I had it in the computer.

Very satisfying feeling when you see something that you imagined on the computer come to life that well, that quickly and that successfully.

CG has been calculated so with a bit of luck a glide test might happen tomorrow. Possibly - if there's not gale force winds again...

Great stuff Leigh.
What it the sweep on the leading edge?
I bet it is between 50 and 54 Degrees which puts it in the should fly very well category
Wot, no Depron?
Quote 1 0
Sterling101
I did measure it but can't remember at the minute but yes it's smack bang in the sweet spot.

Considering this was based on a top view of the model that bae were using for wind tunnel testing it's as if they took the P.60 and updated it the geometry is that close!
Whoever said nothing is impossible had obviously never tried slamming a revolving door...
Quote 2 0