Butch1953
Can someone help me.
Having a hard time cutting this foam.
Both sides have paper on them it keeps ripping the foam not cutting clean.
How do you professional do it?
Thanks again.
Quote 1 0
JettaManDan
Buy a bunch of snap blade box cutter knives. Do a few cuts and then snap the leading section off to expose another razor sharp one. Works great.
My YouTube Channel - 250+ Video's! http://www.youtube.com/jettamandan09

I'm an R/C Junkie! 40+ planes - 12 Heli's - 6 multirotors - and ground vehicles galore! I've got issues.
Quote 1 0
Wildthing
Sharp razor like jettaManDan said. Don't try to cut it in one pass, blade at about a 45 degree angle, it may take you 3 or 4 passes. If you force it to hard you will have messy cuts. Practice on some scrap pieces and also compare a new blade to an old one, huge difference.
Quote 1 0
BadAxeFlyer
Hey Butch, Welcome man. It seems you are just starting out. You are just where I was at this time last year. I am going to post a link for you, its the video that got me hooked on building these planes, and this kid (Young man now, and still around these boards, ) builds an RCP jet from start to finish, showing you how its done. Was invaluable to me. I hope it helps you out.

I saw you mention you fly drones and heli's. If this will be your first time flying fixed wing, I highly suggest you practice in a simulator. or with a SAFE equipped trainer type plane. Will save you many repairs. My first RCP flight resulted in my plane exploding in a sea of foam as it collided with a chain link fence. Was a sight to see. . So get some simulator time in, learn to fly there if you can. You will still crash when learning, but a sim or a SAFE equipped trainer plane can really help cut down on crashes.

Anyway, welcome to the hobby. Its been a very rewarding year for me, I hope you have as much enjoyment with it. Here's the video link.

Quote 1 0
homey666
Here's what I use to cut. Also comes with a 45 degree jig.

Peter

$_32.JPG 
YouTube Channel

flower666able
Quote 3 0
Nightswatch
Well decent hobby knife sharp blades and a nice leading edge metal ruler . learn to take off paper on foam .

Hot wire tool number of ways to get it cut just remember safety first think before you cut your fingers off right ..
your dealing with razors there not forgiving take your time and slowly cut foam
If you think you got your flying under control, Your not going fast enough
Quote 2 0
homey666
Quote:
Here's what I use to cut. Also comes with a 45 degree jig.

Peter

[ATTACH=full]48319[/ATTACH]

The cool thing with this cutter is that I rarely use a ruler now.

P
YouTube Channel

flower666able
Quote 2 0
cosmocop1
Over at Flite Test people are reporting that the Dollar Store Foam has recently changed a bit and is now a bit harder to cut cleanly and the foam itself is somewhat weaker. FYI.
Quote 2 0
Stealthfox619
I just made a su35 out of dollar tree foam. At first I used a standard box cutter. The cuts were a bit choppy. I bought an xacto knife at my local hobby lobby and the last pieces I used it on cut clean even in one pass.
Quote 2 0
Wildthing
Quote:
I just made a su35 out of dollar tree foam. At first I used a standard box cutter. The cuts were a bit choppy. I bought an xacto knife at my local hobby lobby and the last pieces I used it on cut clean even in one pass.

Get one of the small xacto knives with the break off blades, the standard one I never use anymore because the blades are to thick. I will use it 90% of the time and for the tiny notches or small/tight cuts I will then use the hobby xacto knife.

You will get a feel for cutting the foam, don't try to cut it in 1 pass, if it happens it happens but if it doesn't you now have a messy cut.
Quote 3 0
Nightswatch
I found cloning knifes to work like a charm you can find them hydroponic shops or even garden centers even pharmaceutical places with a comfortable plastic handle lasts and cuts for ever as well you can re sharpen It cuts straight and capable of cutting double glue sheets with out body of knife interfering as in depth of cut 1/2 " with out worry about body interfering with cut IMG5812.jpg 
If you think you got your flying under control, Your not going fast enough
Quote 2 0
borg187
I use carbon steel snap blades, just finished a V1 Mig 29 partly with $ tree foam, works great with clean cuts.
IMG_20160922_234235.jpg 
IMG_20170120_231835.jpg 
I used grey depron for the wing plate.
Keep them in the air, borg187.
Quote 1 0
Butch1953
Quote:
Hey Butch, Welcome man. It seems you are just starting out. You are just where I was at this time last year. I am going to post a link for you, its the video that got me hooked on building these planes, and this kid (Young man now, and still around these boards, ) builds an RCP jet from start to finish, showing you how its done. Was invaluable to me. I hope it helps you out.

I saw you mention you fly drones and heli's. If this will be your first time flying fixed wing, I highly suggest you practice in a simulator. or with a SAFE equipped trainer type plane. Will save you many repairs. My first RCP flight resulted in my plane exploding in a sea of foam as it collided with a chain link fence. Was a sight to see. . So get some simulator time in, learn to fly there if you can. You will still crash when learning, but a sim or a SAFE equipped trainer plane can really help cut down on crashes.

Anyway, welcome to the hobby. Its been a very rewarding year for me, I hope you have as much enjoyment with it. Here's the video link.

Quote 1 0
Butch1953
Thanks for the information.
I have been in this hobby since the late sixties.
Just starting out with electric planes I fly my drone and still fly my mig jet,heli and my 1/5 scale p51 gas powered.
I am not a newbie at this hobby just in the electric power.
Thanks!
Quote 1 0