DavePowers Show full post »
DavePowers
Quote:
Hi Dave, sorry this reply doesn't apply to the zip ties, but that's cool stuff too and interesting pros and cons of it huh.....anyway, I'm posting this question to u here, bc it won't let me put over 420 characters to u , personally, it said to me, so I copied and pasting it to u here, hope that's ok? here it is.. Love the New Home Page, winter adjustments* for weight vid., Dave!!! IT'S AWESOME!!!+ WITH...a Real Fighter Jet fly by, was that timing and location planned*? For that FX? Omg, too cool+ thx for good ideas weight wise etc. Now I have to go weigh my SU-34/V4 bc u just made me scratch my head and lift my jaw off the floor. after that vid. I need a camerman like the one of that vid too. A+!!! ALLLLLLL the way around on this vid. Thx!!! + where was this vid. taken at, town,state wise?+ weather conditions? Awesome Hovering in middle of vid. Wow, High Alpha to the max rite then. I'm very impressed with this pilot...is it u?

Hey Johnny.
That video is from a guy on the Forum here named "Airflow". He is in Sweden!
He's really good at super charging the heck out of planes.
Dave Powers
The Parts I Use
Quote 2 0
DavePowers
Ok, so I was able to simply the gear a bit more today.
The zip-tie just needs to be strong on the "pull".
Meaning, count on the zip-tie bending/collapsing under the weight of the moving plane and bending back... So just have the zip-tie ready for this.
Below is a couple pics of the smaller gear.
I'll get some more done and explain more a bit later.
ge11.jpg  ge12.jpg 
Dave Powers
The Parts I Use
Quote 2 0
F1wanabe
That's about as simple as it gets Dave. And still a great look! Slowly getting back into rc mode here after the holiday rush, so maybe this weekend I'll give it a shot on my f18 v4 so that I can compare it to my f18 v3. Looking forward to this!
Quote 2 0
RCJohnnyB
What about using Hot Glue instead of so much tape? Would that take off few grams maybe per gear setup u think Dave? Idk, I'm just thinking of the bigger picture overall, u know what I mean? I have a feeling we will see many more morfs and configurations of this type of landing (Light) type gear arrangements before amap perfection is found....and satisfied with throughout the forum, do u agree? I mean, with such a ThinkTank at Ur disposal, I have that feeling something revolutionary is gonna come from u ALLLLs start of a new type of Lighter/+yet, More durable gear assembly cobo. Balance in there....somewhere, hmmm?*, for... longer flight times, with that "Less weight factor" Hmmmmmmm?!*
May the Schwartz* be with us ALLLLLL. so far, SOOO COOL!! I SAY.
Quote:
Ok, so I was able to simply the gear a bit more today.
The zip-tie just needs to be strong on the "pull".
Meaning, count on the zip-tie bending/collapsing under the weight of the moving plane and bending back... So just have the zip-tie ready for this.
Below is a couple pics of the smaller gear.
I'll get some more done and explain more a bit later.
[ATTACH=full]33598[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]33599[/ATTACH]
=\ RC*JohnnyB /=
Quote 0 0
RCJohnnyB
Thank you for the headsup. His video was INCREDIBLE*!! SUCH SKILLS...WOW* TAKES A LOT TO IMPRESS ME THESE DAYZ'....+++ THAT DID IT. VERY COOL STUFF...
Quote:
Hey Johnny.
That video is from a guy on the Forum here named "Airflow". He is in Sweden!
He's really good at super charging the heck out of planes.

Quote:
Hey Johnny.
That video is from a guy on the Forum here named "Airflow". He is in Sweden!
He's really good at super charging the heck out of planes.
=\ RC*JohnnyB /=
Quote 0 0
DavePowers
Quote:
That's about as simple as it gets Dave. And still a great look! Slowly getting back into rc mode here after the holiday rush, so maybe this weekend I'll give it a shot on my f18 v4 so that I can compare it to my f18 v3. Looking forward to this!

Holidays, right? Man. Glad you're getting caught up.
I'll have some more by this weekend as well.
Getting caught up (and even ahead in some places here) and am getting more time for building/testing.
Dave Powers
The Parts I Use
Quote 3 0
DavePowers
Quote:
What about using Hot Glue instead of so much tape? Would that take off few grams maybe per gear setup u think Dave? Idk, I'm just thinking of the bigger picture overall, u know what I mean? I have a feeling we will see many more morfs and configurations of this type of landing (Light) type gear arrangements before amap perfection is found....and satisfied with throughout the forum, do u agree? I mean, with such a ThinkTank at Ur disposal, I have that feeling something revolutionary is gonna come from u ALLLLs start of a new type of Lighter/+yet, More durable gear assembly cobo. Balance in there....somewhere, hmmm?*, for... longer flight times, with that "Less weight factor" Hmmmmmmm?!*
May the Schwartz* be with us ALLLLLL. so far, SOOO COOL!! I SAY.

When I put all that tape on I thought the same thing! "Gosh, a bit heavy on the tape here."
What I think this game is about is matching the right kind of stress with the right kind of solution.
For example, hot glue works GREAT on motor mounts because its "rubber" charisterics help absorb the vibration.
With the landing gear here, I'm feeling its more of a "stretch and contract" type stress. Meaning, the plane comes slamming down and you want something that can STRETCH with the stress and then come back. I'm going to try some hot glue in some key places but am going to watch for it to "hold-hold-hold-fly off!" Ya know!
Dave Powers
The Parts I Use
Quote 1 0
RCJohnnyB
Ahhhhhhhhh, I have another idea....*Plumbers Goop*, or any kinda GOOP, they're ALLLL almost the same stuff basically, FYI, u can find at any Menards or Walmart etc...for $3.50-5 per 2oz. tube usually, a little goes along way, its SOOOOO strong, Yet flexible, but eats/dissolves*** unprotected foam FYI***, so in those conditions, I defer to my Hot glue usually* or Scotchs reinforced slim sltrips of fiberglass packing tape or a combo, ya know...I have *4* tubes I'd share, if u lived closer. I got em on sale, of course. The thing about Goop is, it will eat any foam like acid, but it does fine on foamboard, *with paper coatings*+ it dries fast + very rubbery+ very durable, and can pull off and make booger balls up, like rubber cement. + doesn't stick Ur skin together , like some super glues do, Capice....it May be another option for on the zip tie area, idk, just givin my two cents for ya Dave....Best Wishes...I can feel it in my gut, strongly, that Ur onto something HUGE here, that we ALLLL will benefit from. Meaning, those with less flying areas or a lot of concrete jungles in their neighborhoods, will prosper from this landing gear option...also, ALLLL of us who aren't Donald Trumps, budget wise too* Hope my ramblings help. Rock On brother!!! JB out...but...I'll be watchin, u knowwww it..+ u will Git R Done...u always do....bc I notice...u try, try, try+ try again....Damn Ur tenaciousx just like me., and stubborn headed too, Hmmmmmmm , til ur happy with Ur results, then u fine tune it some more...am I close to right, would u agree? Or is it a matter of u feel responsible now of us ALLLL , "watching u and under Ur wing" sotta speak?? or a combo. I'm gonna say combo. Is what my gut tells me, and I thank u for Ur passion, to make, refine continuously+relentlessly, and PASSIONATELY, along with that matter of neccessity to survive, in more ways then one.CAPICE?!* I get it, fyi. + I, personally, say....Thank You Very Much!!
Quote:
When I put all that tape on I thought the same thing! "Gosh, a bit heavy on the tape here."
What I think this game is about is matching the right kind of stress with the right kind of solution.
For example, hot glue works GREAT on motor mounts because its "rubber" charisterics help absorb the vibration.
With the landing gear here, I'm feeling its more of a "stretch and contract" type stress. Meaning, the plane comes slamming down and you want something that can STRETCH with the stress and then come back. I'm going to try some hot glue in some key places but am going to watch for it to "hold-hold-hold-fly off!" Ya know!
=\ RC*JohnnyB /=
Quote 1 0
whatmovesyou
Dave:

1) Foam will pop out if a large side force is applied (poor landing). Make it sturdy by getting the width and dia of tie thickness, remove the foam and use balsa wood that is glued to the tie. For nose gear, use 45 degree angle (like my design) to see what happens as battery slams down on tie wrap. Can you show more as to how tie wrap is held to fuse?

I now know balsa is a part of the foamy build to help to prevent twist and bending forces. In fact, I already installed balsa in a Sebart Mig 29 to prevent the nose from snapping due to the weight of a 4400 4s battery. Hear that, JMD.
I like to design and fly unique planes.
Quote 1 0
RCJohnnyB
How about just a circle of thin plastic, from an old DVD case Hot glued inside , instead of the foam too? Or, on the sides of the foam, like hubcaps, for side impact protection+ still keep it light??
=\ RC*JohnnyB /=
Quote 0 0
ASD
love the amount of ideas here, helps to have different eyes on stuff!
Cuz tooling around is just not my style of flying. Full stick and full travel control surfaces.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DollarTreeFlyer/videos
Quote 2 0
DavePowers
Quote:
love the amount of ideas here, helps to have different eyes on stuff!

It really does man.
In fact... we just re-recorded the ending of next weeks show to get a more "real ending" to it like you mentioned. That right there helped quite a bit, so thanks again.
Dave Powers
The Parts I Use
Quote 4 0
RCJohnnyB
NOW, THAT'S MY KIND OF THINKN....GIT R DONE.......so we can ALLLLLL see Ur fun cool vids, I'm sure they will be , to make ans see Rite On!!
Quote:
I did a swamp buggy way back when, turning it into an ice-buggy using dulled blades mounted on a rod a ran across the bottom, and a small L bracket on the back for steering.... was pretty kewl.
=\ RC*JohnnyB /=
Quote 0 0
DavePowers
I just "pinned" the gear to the plane and pushed it around the carpet and it works great so far!
ge14.jpg  ge17.jpg 
Dave Powers
The Parts I Use
Quote 2 0
RCJohnnyB
How'd u like my Lighter, yet make em more durable "HotGlue, lightly smeared+hubcap for reinforcement" idea above, Dave? any good u think possibly?!* JB.
Quote:
I just "pinned" the gear to the plane and pushed it around the carpet and it works great so far!
[ATTACH=full]33665[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]33666[/ATTACH]
=\ RC*JohnnyB /=
Quote 0 0