whatmovesyou
Built a modified "foam and tape" transport(RCGroups") so it is more stable on takeoff, landings and flight.

Did the following:

1) Made the width(including the nose) 1 inch more so wheels are further apart.
2) Placed the battery directly over and above the nose wheel so it reduces the chance of flipping over in a cross wind. By doing step 1, now can place my hand inside the nose to move the place/remove battery over wheel.
3) In researching the wing placement, found that with a straight wing, the 25% of chord(gives CG) should be located 25 % of length of transport.
4) After moving wing and doing test flights, (long takeoffs and instability for landings) did a Popsicle thing. That is, inserted a stick across the leading edge of fuse so I increased the angle of attack of the wing. Tried 1,2,3 Popsicle sticks and the best result was 2 which gave an angle of 2 degrees.

Takeoff and landings are now much shorter, stability in cross winds have improved much better and handles well when 1 engine dies in flight. Small shuttle is on the far wing.

Transport can either use shuttle where another person flies the shuttle down or I release it by myself and I weighted it nose down left wing tips and it circles down. It is released by gear servo that is shown under shuttle.



.
P1010083.JPG 
I like to design and fly unique planes.
Quote 4 0
TomMonton
Oh yeah ... I just love those old cargo planes and it looks like the FT Guinea without that middle vertical stab ?
Fly like your mad at it.
Quote 3 0
notamedclosed
Quote:
Oh yeah ... I just love those old cargo planes and it looks like the FT Guinea without that middle vertical stab ?


"foam and tape" was Peter Sripol's old moniker on RcGroups. He designed The Twins, which he redesigned for Flite Test in DT foam and called it the FT Guinea.
Quote 2 0
whatmovesyou
One of the reasons that not too many pilots fly transports is when an engine goes out, a crash usually occurs due to a yaw stall. If a pilot does not recognize it immediately, one engine running will spiral it into the ground. It will happen faster if you are in a turn with the lower wing motor quits. (Ask me how I know)

One way to prevent it is set your ESC with brake off so props will windmill(now you will have equal retarding forces along lengthwise CG to prevent a yaw stall) so if the wing ANGLE and your glide slope is correct(about -30 degrees for mine), you can keep a glide and flair a good landing. Try it with your transport, take it up (brake first and the no brake) and see the difference. It will give you practice for the real thing.

Yeh, Peter did design both transports and even tried to make a VTOL out of it. Too bad, he didn't go on to be an aero engineer.
I like to design and fly unique planes.
Quote 2 0
bogusbandit56
Quote:
One of the reasons that not too many pilots fly transports is when an engine goes out, a crash usually occurs due to a yaw stall. If a pilot does not recognize it immediately, one engine running will spiral it into the ground. It will happen faster if you are in a turn with the lower wing motor quits. (Ask me how I know)

One way to prevent it is set your ESC with brake off so props will windmill(now you will have equal retarding forces along lengthwise CG to prevent a yaw stall) so if the wing ANGLE and your glide slope is correct(about -30 degrees for mine), you can keep a glide and flair a good landing. Try it with your transport, take it up (brake first and the no brake) and see the difference. It will give you practice for the real thing.

Yeh, Peter did design both transports and even tried to make a VTOL out of it. Too bad, he didn't go on to be an aero engineer.

He has built a full size plane now. He is a clever guy
Wot, no Depron?
Quote 1 0
whatmovesyou
Wonder what the FAA thinks of this? Is it considered an experimental aircraft or is it still under RC stuff?
I like to design and fly unique planes.
Quote 0 0
bogusbandit56
Quote:
Wonder what the FAA thinks of this? Is it considered an experimental aircraft or is it still under RC stuff?

It should be under FAA ruling.
If you follow progress on youtube you can see what he had to do to comply.
He did get into trouble for flying at night.
You`re much luckier living in the US, as home building in UK is virtually impossible due to strict rules and red tape.
Wot, no Depron?
Quote 3 0