FlyteTime
Hey guys. Here's some photos of my Tornado swept wing airplane I've been working on. The wing design is by Steve Shumate. It's actuated by a single servo connecting to each wing with short control rods. Some of the top pieces are just dry fitted because I don't have the servo yet for the wings. It's elevon only flight surfaces. It's a rear mounted pusher design and I'll be running the standard Turnigy 2200 motor with a 40 amp esc. Probably a 3s 2200mah battery. She's quite light as she sits right now at 10.2 oz's or 289 grams. I'd like to be able to configure it with infinite sweep angles but I don't have a clue how I'm going to do that. My transmitter has no dials or sliders so it may not be possible. I'm no Wildthing, , so it may be a little while before I'm finished. I'll add updates as I progress. Thanks for having a look!

Kenny G

IMG_20180401_000501.jpg  IMG_20180401_000553.jpg  IMG_20180401_001250.jpg  IMG_20180401_000817.jpg  IMG_20180401_000932.jpg 
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Quote 10 0
omar182114
Quote:
Hey guys. Here's some photos of my Tornado swept wing airplane I've been working on. The wing design is by Steve Shumate. It's actuated by a single servo connecting to each wing with short control rods. Some of the top pieces are just dry fitted because I don't have the servo yet for the wings. It's elevon only flight surfaces. It's a rear mounted pusher design and I'll be running the standard Turnigy 2200 motor with a 40 amp esc. Probably a 3s 2200mah battery. She's quite light as she sits right now at 10.2 oz's or 289 grams. I'd like to be able to configure it with infinite sweep angles but I don't have a clue how I'm going to do that. My transmitter has no dials or sliders so it may not be possible. I'm no Wildthing, , so it may be a little while before I'm finished. I'll add updates as I progress. Thanks for having a look!

Kenny G

[ATTACH=full]54612[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]54613[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]54614[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]54615[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]54616[/ATTACH]
Outstanding!! Great job !!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
_____________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/Omar142118
Quote 5 0
Wildthing
Quote:
Hey guys. Here's some photos of my Tornado swept wing airplane I've been working on. The wing design is by Steve Shumate. It's actuated by a single servo connecting to each wing with short control rods. Some of the top pieces are just dry fitted because I don't have the servo yet for the wings. It's elevon only flight surfaces. It's a rear mounted pusher design and I'll be running the standard Turnigy 2200 motor with a 40 amp esc. Probably a 3s 2200mah battery. She's quite light as she sits right now at 10.2 oz's or 289 grams. I'd like to be able to configure it with infinite sweep angles but I don't have a clue how I'm going to do that. My transmitter has no dials or sliders so it may not be possible. I'm no Wildthing, , so it may be a little while before I'm finished. I'll add updates as I progress. Thanks for having a look!

Kenny G

[ATTACH=full]54612[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]54613[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]54614[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]54615[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]54616[/ATTACH]

SWEET,

I think @malukk built that one so if you need any pointers message him. He did list a servo that he upgraded his to on the PI F-14 thread and it's as strong as the ones I used and it's smaller.

The build looks awesome, I didn't know you were into wood working????
Quote 4 0
FlyteTime
Quote:
SWEET,

I think @malukk built that one so if you need any pointers message him. He did list a servo that he upgraded his to on the PI F-14 thread and it's as strong as the ones I used and it's smaller.

The build looks awesome, I didn't know you were into wood working????

Yes I saw the servo that he posted. I'm gonna be ordering one. Do you think I should use metal gears on the elevons? What I really need help with is programming my Spektrum tx to move the wings. Yeah I wouldn't have been able to make those plywood pieces without the bandsaw!
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Quote 4 0
Sterling101
Nice job!

Mine wasn't as pretty when I built mine as I went for square fuselage as it was an evolving prototype but it flew great once I had it dialled in.
I went for a nice big servo to drive the wing sweep though. Didn't fancy it failing in flight but there's a fair bit of info in my build thread...

https://www.rcpowers.com/community/threads/panavia-tornado-gr4.20320/
Whoever said nothing is impossible had obviously never tried slamming a revolving door...
Quote 4 0
Wildthing
Quote:
Yes I saw the servo that he posted. I'm gonna be ordering one. Do you think I should use metal gears on the elevons? What I really need help with is programming my Spektrum tx to move the wings. Yeah I wouldn't have been able to make those plywood pieces without the bandsaw!
You shouldn't have to but if you got them , use them. The Emax has a nice metal gear servo and decently priced, I think it's model # is ES08MAII, got them through Banggood.
Quote 2 0
thunder
Very nice and the wing sweep mechanism is almost identical to my 6MMFLYRC F14 tomcat,if I may offer a bit of advice,,i put grease on the wing sweep mechanism at the pivot joints,also nice to see all moving elevators. I had a recommended 2200 3s lipo and 6x4 prop on my tomcat but I noticed that the top speed whether the wing were out or swept was the same so I switched to 2200 kv ntm motor and 4s. great work sir.
Quote 3 0
FlyteTime
Thanks for the compliments and the advice Thunder. The grease is a good idea to keep the sweep action nice and smooth. I was also thinking about making some thin plastic spacers to go between the places where it's wood to wood contact. I would probably cut them out of a tupperware container. That would make it very smooth I would think. Hopefully she'll have enough power with the turnigy motor and 3s as I don't have any 4s batteries to use. Happy flying buddy.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Quote 4 0
thunder
Quote:
Thanks for the compliments and the advice Thunder. The grease is a good idea to keep the sweep action nice and smooth. I was also thinking about making some thin plastic spacers to go between the places where it's wood to wood contact. I would probably cut them out of a tupperware container. That would make it very smooth I would think. Hopefully she'll have enough power with the turnigy motor and 3s as I don't have any 4s batteries to use. Happy flying buddy.

I noticed on my tomcat that when I tightened the wing pivot bolt to get rid of the play in the wing joint that the servo started to struggle to swing the wing fully forward,grease was the solution but I used ordinary car wheel bearing grease and I am pretty sure that you can buy transparent clear grease that is much lighter,i know that Align sell it for the helicopters. You will also need to add a program to your TX to give up elevator when the wings are swept back,i am sure you already know this,i used 4 degrees or 4 per cent and linked the program to the swing wing switch. all the best mate
Quote 4 0
Wildthing
Quote:
I noticed on my tomcat that when I tightened the wing pivot bolt to get rid of the play in the wing joint that the servo started to struggle to swing the wing fully forward,grease was the solution but I used ordinary car wheel bearing grease and I am pretty sure that you can buy transparent clear grease that is much lighter,i know that Align sell it for the helicopters. You will also need to add a program to your TX to give up elevator when the wings are swept back,i am sure you already know this,i used 4 degrees or 4 per cent and linked the program to the swing wing switch. all the best mate

Try the silicone lube. I have a aerosol can of it for my rc cars. Spray some on, wipe it off and it leaves a slick surface, also it is suppose to repel dirt , not attract it.
Quote 4 0
KK
Haven’t tried grease but all I did on mine was put clear tape on top and bottom plates (not on the wing itself) where the wing slides and that was quite slippery.
Quote 3 0
Wildthing
Quote:
Haven’t tried grease but all I did on mine was put clear tape on top and bottom plates (not on the wing itself) where the wing slides and that was quite slippery.

On the F-14 I used the plastic that some Graffix paper came in, very smooth and very thin. Light coat of spray adhesive and onto the foam . The wood and plastic together slid really good, between the foam and plastic good but once a slight film of silicone lube it was super good.
Quote 3 0
FlyteTime
Good conversation on how to keep it slippery and how to lube it up guys. Just gotta love this community.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Quote 5 0
Wildthing
Quote:
Good conversation on how to keep it slippery and how to lube it up guys. Just gotta love this community.

There is always KY jelly!!!!
Quote 4 0
FlyteTime
Quote:
There is always KY jelly!!!!

Aaaaaaah, too funny man!
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Quote 3 0