rchawk
Hello Pilots,
I have NIMH batteries and have the basic wall charger that comes with most of the plane kits that has no lights or anything to let you know when the battery is fully charged . I am looking at a couple of chargers for sale and have found one that I am thinking of buying but have a couple of questions.
#1 My NIMH battery packs are 10.8v 650mah and 10.8v 1300mah
the charger I am looking at says designed with no less than 6v and no more than 12v packs, which is fine . My question is it says do not charge batteries with a capacity smaller that 1000mah or larger that 5000mah , and some of my battery packs are 650mah , so is this going to make a big difference as if it were voltage issue I would not use that charger but does the mah being lower than 1000mah make a difference, and safe to use the new charger ???
#2 What does battery pack must be made by high drain current cell , mean . I thought that it may say something on the battery itself about this but it just says NIMH and the voltage and mah.
I appreciate any advice , thank you
RCHAWK
.
Quote 0 0
kaptondave
My suggestion is to buy a good charger and be done with it. This is the one I have:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7028

Your second question does not make any sense.
Quote 0 0
squishy
If I can't plug it into a outlet in my garage, then I don't count it as a good charger...
"Education is not about filling buckets; it is lighting fires." W.B. Yeats

http://www.youtube.com/user/squishy654
Quote 0 0
DJRubberCow
Wow mate, apparently you're from texas, nevertheless your question #2 does not make any sense even if read 3 times. Please explain it a bit better.
I'm also on the look out currently for a good charger but not yet ready to pay the money required to actually GET one
Quote 0 0
rchawk
Thanks Kaptondave ,
This charger looks great for my NIMH packs only thing is it does not say anything about the min or max mah capacity allowed
Quote 0 0
rchawk
Quote:
Wow mate, apparently you're from texas, nevertheless your question #2 does not make any sense even if read 3 times. Please explain it a bit better.
I'm also on the look out currently for a good charger but not yet ready to pay the money required to actually GET one



This is what it says in the operating instructions for the new charger.
In other words the batteris being charged must be made by high drain current cell , that is why I am asking I do not understand this myself
Quote 0 0
DJRubberCow
Quote:
This is what it says in the operating instructions for the new charger.
In other words the batteris being charged must be made by high drain current cell , that is why I am asking I do not understand this myself


sounds to me like a requirement that the cell must be able to handle large currents... though I still don't understand the need for that - I mean which hobby battery CAN'T withstand considerably high currents?
Quote 0 0
kaptondave
Quote:
Thanks Kaptondave ,
This charger looks great for my NIMH packs only thing is it does not say anything about the min or max mah capacity allowed
As far as I can tell there are no limits. It recognizes battery type and size and setws the appropriate charge parameters automatically.

This charger runs on 12 volts DC, like a car battery, which is great for recharging at the field. I can also run it on a salvage computer power supply that I bought at a thrift store for a few bucks.
Quote 0 0
rchawk
Quote:
As far as I can tell there are no limits. It recognizes battery type and size and setws the appropriate charge parameters automatically.

This charger runs on 12 volts DC, like a car battery, which is great for recharging at the field. I can also run it on a salvage computer power supply that I bought at a thrift store for a few bucks.



Thanks , what power cord do i need to buy for this charger , as it does not come with one ?
Quote 0 0
kaptondave
Quote:
Thanks , what power cord do i need to buy for this charger , as it does not come with one ?
I think it comes with a power cord that plugs into the charger and has clip leads for connecting to a battery. I made an adapter with a cigarette lighter plug to make it easy to plug in to the car.
Quote 0 0
rchawk
Thank you
Quote 0 0
squishy
take a look at this charger, you can actually plug it into the wall while you are at home..

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

Dave uses one if that means anything...I don't think it does, he still doesn't have a DX6i...
"Education is not about filling buckets; it is lighting fires." W.B. Yeats

http://www.youtube.com/user/squishy654
Quote 0 0