Sidewayskiwi Show full post »
Wildthing
Quote:
A 4s only
Usually all my stuff is tail heavy really scratching my head

Well I have done it on certain planes when you run out of options, stick on lead weights or washers. Place everything neatly in the hatch ( I wouldn't have the esc on the battery, both need to cool) then near the tail start laying some weights on and see what it's going to take to balance it.
Quote 3 0
Wildthing
Quote:
Here's my cam setup (Yes, I get strange looks) but the video screen on the camera has since been moved inside the helmet and is where I can see it from inside so I can see what the camera sees as well as see the plane, complete with sunglasses

Do you have the whole suit to go with that helmet??
Quote 3 0
Argonath
Quote:
Do you have the whole suit to go with that helmet??


No, just the helmet. I was thinking about getting another helmet and wiring it with a camera before it's put together. This one I popped out some pieces on the side and ended up having to glue the camera side together so that the helmet stays together.

I figure if I had to wire it from when I had to assemble the helmet I would have been able to pass wiring through certain sections. I was thinking one with the camera on the post up the left side with a better camera.

The one that's mounted is an Interpolated 5 Mp camera so the resolution isn't great and needs to be in full daylight or the capture is really no visible.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Quote 4 0
F1wanabe
Quote:
CofG well forward of plans mark
Anyone struck this ??
Plans say 60-65mm forward of propslot
Its @ 70-75 mm

Nice plane! Like many have said, the proper cg for this plane is on the marks shown on the plan and you must shuffle components around (battery/esc/motor) to get the plane to balance on the listed CG marks. If your cg is forward of that mark, you have to move the battery back furthur until you get the plane to balance on those marks. If you can't get it that far back with a 2200 3s, you can use a smaller battery like a 1600 3s. either way, the cg Dave and Shannon have on the plan are where the proper flight characteristics come into play. FYI, when I build a plane, after I have the rough build done, I lay out the components like servos, motor, esc, etc until the plane balances on the plan's cg, then I mount them up. I always move servos as far forward as possible and use something like dubro micro control rods to connect servos to control surfaces. This way it gives you more flexibility with mounting stuff like battery and esc. In the end, having CG a little further forward is safer than a little further back! Good luck!
Quote 3 0
Sidewayskiwi
Quote:
It depends on how much packing tape you have used.
I`m guessing you have shoved some extra weight on the nose to protect it in a crash?
You need to get the battery further back or use a 1500 or 1600 mha depends on how much room you have.
Try to get it as near as possible and don`t be tempted to fly a badly balanced plane, it will end in tears.
Pop the battery hatch and take a picture and post it so we have an idea of your problem.

Quote:
53878[/ATTACH] mber: 62918"]IMG_20180128_013204.jpg 

IMG_20180201_000324.jpg  IMG_20180201_000324.jpg 
Quote:
Nice plane! Like many have said, the proper cg for this plane is on the marks shown on the plan and you must shuffle components around (battery/esc/motor) to get the plane to balance on the listed CG marks. If your cg is forward of that mark, you have to move the battery back furthur until you get the plane to balance on those marks. If you can't get it that far back with a 2200 3s, you can use a smaller battery like a 1600 3s. either way, the cg Dave and Shannon have on the plan are where the proper flight characteristics come into play. FYI, when I build a plane, after I have the rough build done, I lay out the components like servos, motor, esc, etc until the plane balances on the plan's cg, then I mount them up. I always move servos as far forward as possible and use something like dubro micro control rods to connect servos to control surfaces. This way it gives you more flexibility with mounting stuff like battery and esc. In the end, having CG a little further forward is safer than a little further back! Good luck!

Think I may have found the problem
Put elevon servos in aileron position trying to be a smart cookie putting everything around CofG and centre of lift
Might have shot myself in the foot -- slightly
Out comes the wheel balance weights
Quote 4 0
bogusbandit56
Quote:
[ATTACH=full]53878[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]53878[/ATTACH]

Think I may have found the problem
Put elevon servos in aileron position trying to be a smart cookie putting everything around CofG and centre of lift
Might have shot myself in the foot -- slightly
Out comes the wheel balance weights

I would not think that is the only problem unless you are using heavy servos
I hate doing it but if putting weight on the tail is the only solution, then let it be so.
The good thing is that for every gram you put on the tail you need 3 times the amount on the nose.
Wot, no Depron?
Quote 3 0
Sidewayskiwi
Quote:
I would not think that is the only problem unless you are using heavy servos
I hate doing it but if putting weight on the tail is the only solution, then let it be so.
The good thing is that for every gram you put on the tail you need 3 times the amount on the nose.
Quote 0 0
Sidewayskiwi
Yes
I hate putting unproductive weight on an aircraft but it may be only way
I did use reinforced tape on nose only about 3-4 stripes inside and out
As hobby king foam didn't score well and snapped on bending
Quote 2 0
bogusbandit56
Quote:
Yes
I hate putting unproductive weight on an aircraft but it may be only way
I did use reinforced tape on nose only about 3-4 stripes inside and out
As hobby king foam didn't score well and snapped on bending

You have my sympathy , I have some of the HK foam and I would not like it to be the only type of foam I had.
It ain`t very good.
Wot, no Depron?
Quote 2 0
Sidewayskiwi
Quote:
You have my sympathy , I have some of the HK foam and I would not like it to be the only type of foam I had.
It ain`t very good.

They have better foam
That they use in their glue-n-go kits stuff is incredible do they sell it --no
Have emailed them heaps but still nothing
Just the old light model foam too soft
Good news is I have just located a supplier of Adams ready board here in New Zealand
Quote 3 0
bogusbandit56
Quote:
They have better foam
That they use in their glue-n-go kits stuff is incredible do they sell it --no
Have emailed them heaps but still nothing
Just the old light model foam too soft
Good news is I have just located a supplier of Adams ready board here in New Zealand

That`s good news
Wot, no Depron?
Quote 1 0
F1wanabe
Quote:
[ATTACH=full]53878[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]53878[/ATTACH]

Think I may have found the problem
Put elevon servos in aileron position trying to be a smart cookie putting everything around CofG and centre of lift
Might have shot myself in the foot -- slightly
Out comes the wheel balance weights

Hey, its foam! That's the beauty of it, so modifying is simple, or try to fly as it is and see what happens. Good luck, Sidewayskiwi!
Quote 2 0
Sidewayskiwi
Cheers F1
Quote 0 0
Sidewayskiwi
Update
Due to crap weather and stuck inside
Moved servos from aileron position to elevator position
Rerigged CofG perfect
So there you go
Learned me something
Quote 2 0