Airflow

http://www.youtube.com/user/AirflowFirst
"The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money..." Margaret Thatcher
"and always look on the bright side of life...o_O"
Quote 4 0
dtribby
Very nice... Looked wonderful in the air. Glad to finally SEE her fly after all these months!!
Yes, I've known that I'm "different" for some time now...
Quote 1 0
e3_Scott
Quote:


Wow, great job Airflow! I heard lot of OOOPs, but it seemed like everything worked out just fine, it sure looked beautiful in the air! My Su37 is pretty heavy as well, just over 1kg I think the last time I weighed it, so that weight took some time to get used to and there are some attitudes where it all seems to catch up with you, but I always found the Su37 MK1 recovered quite well when I started to get into trouble. Of course I only had elevons and ailerons, but it flew great, it is one of the smoothest handling airplanes I ever flew, I will probably build the Su37 MK2 in the coming month or so to see how it compares.

Great job on an awesome build and great maiden flight, congratulations, a true piece of art!

Cheers,

Scott
Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom😎
#ParkJetnoise #ParkJetpilot
Quote 1 0
F1wanabe
Nice looking and flying plane, Airflow! And great job piloting such a heavy plane. No room for error because there is no such thing as landing hard and not having damage. That is going to be a scale flier, not a tumbler like most foamies. Like my Shumate su37 twin edf (64 oz!). Much more accurate representation of the actual plane than most of our foamies. That goes back to a high alpha discussion back in the f18 thread when I saw 2 f18 's flying high alpha formation and they actually still had some pretty good airspeed. It only looks slow when long lenses are zoomed in! I ended up practicing flowing routines with the twin edf to keep airspeed up and the maneuvers looked really scale. That motor on the back is delivering thrust much more efficiently than the mid mount! And it is pretty quiet! Excellent!
Quote 1 0
Airflow
Quote:
Very nice... Looked wonderful in the air. Glad to finally SEE her fly after all these months!!


Quote:
Wow, great job Airflow! I heard lot of OOOPs, but it seemed like everything worked out just fine, it sure looked beautiful in the air! My Su37 is pretty heavy as well, just over 1kg I think the last time I weighed it, so that weight took some time to get used to and there are some attitudes where it all seems to catch up with you, but I always found the Su37 MK1 recovered quite well when I started to get into trouble. Of course I only had elevons and ailerons, but it flew great, it is one of the smoothest handling airplanes I ever flew, I will probably build the Su37 MK2 in the coming month or so to see how it compares.

Great job on an awesome build and great maiden flight, congratulations, a true piece of art!

Cheers,

Scott


Quote:
Nice looking and flying plane, Airflow! And great job piloting such a heavy plane. No room for error because there is no such thing as landing hard and not having damage. That is going to be a scale flier, not a tumbler like most foamies. Like my Shumate su37 twin edf (64 oz!). Much more accurate representation of the actual plane than most of our foamies. That goes back to a high alpha discussion back in the f18 thread when I saw 2 f18 's flying high alpha formation and they actually still had some pretty good airspeed. It only looks slow when long lenses are zoomed in! I ended up practicing flowing routines with the twin edf to keep airspeed up and the maneuvers looked really scale. That motor on the back is delivering thrust much more efficiently than the mid mount! And it is pretty quiet! Excellent!



Thank you guys! Well, Scott a lot of "Oops".....The aircraft wanted to put its nose to the ground a few times, quite scary... actually...o_O ... O'yes! It has kinetic energy Greg, you describe exactly how it felt! Actually more how a real fighter behaves in the air, A lot of fun!!. It seems that I have to move the COG even more, maybe an inch further back or so ..........I did not dare to do some advanced maneuvers close to the ground and the camera lens during this first flight... more to come.., if I do not crash during testing... I've never flown heavy foamjets before (my RCP F-22 V2 weighed only 29 Oz...) just balsa plane, but then, 20 years ago. I think I will build bigger foamjets in the future! WAB FRC Su-Mk2? Will always! be on my top 3 list, but the Mk1 size is probably what gives the greatest joy in the long run. At least for me.
What happened? the canards - well.... the servo arm dropped out when I landed, I had apparently forgotten to put the screw. Haha!ops:..
http://www.youtube.com/user/AirflowFirst
"The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money..." Margaret Thatcher
"and always look on the bright side of life...o_O"
Quote 0 0
e3_Scott
Quote:
Thank you guys! Well, Scott a lot of "Oops".....The aircraft wanted to put its nose to the ground a few times, quite scary... actually...o_O ... O'yes! It has kinetic energy Greg, you describe exactly how it felt! Actually more how a real fighter behaves in the air, A lot of fun!!. It seems that I have to move the COG even more, maybe an inch further back or so ..........I did not dare to do some advanced maneuvers close to the ground and the camera lens during this first flight... more to come.., if I do not crash during testing... I've never flown heavy foamjets before (my RCP F-22 V2 weighed only 29 Oz...) just balsa plane, but then, 20 years ago. I think I will build bigger foamjets in the future! WAB FRC Su-Mk2? Will always! be on my top 3 list, but the Mk1 size is probably what gives the greatest joy in the long run. At least for me.
What happened? the canards - well.... the servo arm dropped out when I landed, I had apparently forgotten to put the screw. Haha!ops:..



Interesting feedback, Airflow. I know you have already built and flown the F18 V3, I did a bit of a "fly off" with my 100% F18 V2 and the Su37 MK1 awhile back and found that due to their bigger size, they both handled very much the same, from the standpoint of smoothness and stability, of course they had their own strengths and weaknesses when compared to each other, but that is to be expected, so if you are wanting to give another bigger plane a try, the F18 V2 would be another option. It does not have the thrust vectoring vanes like the V3, but I'm sure could be modified, or you can mix in vtails with the elevators to get much better pitch authority. Anyway, just food for thought.

2013-04-19 12.00.29.jpg 

Cheers,

Scott
Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom😎
#ParkJetnoise #ParkJetpilot
Quote 0 0
Airflow
Nice pic Scott It is a good idea! I like the F-18, so why not try the V2 in the future.You will soon have both versions, V2 - V3 and it is a good reference. Thanks for the tip! Good luck with your soon finished F18-V3.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AirflowFirst
"The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money..." Margaret Thatcher
"and always look on the bright side of life...o_O"
Quote 0 0