We are proud to announce our next project:
the FRCFoamies Mig 2.88 Advanced Fighter Concept.
Watch this excellent intro video by a guy on the forum :
This plane may look familiar to some of you since it is
conceptualization of the Soviet Mig 1.44 Flatpack.
it shares its heritage with the excellent Mig 29,
performance surpasses the Mig 29 in every department!
We’ve taken the Mig 1.44, modified it, tweaked it and optimized it
for parkjet use, hence the name:
Mig 2.88 Advanced Fighter Concept!
The Mikoyan Project 1.44 was built to be the Raptor killer- the Soviet Union’s answer to the US’s 5th generation F22 Stealth Fighter and the replacement for the SU27. It’s twin tail, delta canard design with thrust vectoring engines is what Dave Powers calls “a numbers plane”- on paper it looks perfect. It’s also interesting to note that it’s designer actually built an RC model during testing to evaluate its design performance! Based on what we see at the field, after flying other 5th generation parkjets, the Mig 1.44 “Flatpack” would have been the ultimate Multi Role 5th generation fighter had it not been for the fall of the Soviet Union halfway through the plane’s development.
The FRCFoamies Mig 2.88 AFC is:
- An extremely easy parkjet to build.
- A Super maneuverable plane when you want aerobatics.
- A totally stable plane when speed is what you are looking for.
- A super efficient design with low wing loading.
- A durable, easy to build and repair nose to promote “experimentation”.
- A plane that can be as basic or advanced as you want. Fly it stock- its amazing. Add full control surfaces and mixes and it’ll blow your mind!
We look forward to seeing your flight videos!
Jay and Greg.
Excellent build log from
All the cutting completed, and carbon fibre spar install in wing plate.
I'm using the tried-and-true fibreglass mesh + Foamtac hinge technique, also on the inner fold lines.
I did a dry fit of all the parts. Putting it together was tricky, pulling it apart was a challenge!
Initial masking applied for the splinter camo pattern on the fuselage and wing plate.
First coat of the camo pattern on the fuselage, using water-based rattle can spray paint.
Applying the masking tape and paint: under this mess are shapes for white, green and grey.
The start of the camo reveal.
Same process on the vertical fins.
I always get a kick out from how the camo pattern emerges from the mess of tape and paint.
Same deal on the main wing plate.
It turned out pretty good! Just a few minor touch ups required.
KF airfoil and leading edge slat. Note the strip of foam filling the gap in the LE slat fold line.
The underside of the LE slat, showing the supports, and the fibreglass mesh reinforcement .
Another view of the right KF airfoil and leading edge slat, with the gap-filler strip of foam.
Slots cut for the elevon and rudder servos.
Wrapping the fuselage section around the interior formers---a tricky task, take it slowly!
The pre-painted fuselage coming together.
The three tabs match slots in the tail section. Note the angled panels. Battery tray already in place.
I use a steel ruler to flatten the mating edges of the nose segments, to create a better gluing area.
You can see the small wedge of foam I use to help shape the upper and lower nose segments.
Gluing the side segments of the nose together.
The completed nose.
A nicely aligned nose section.
Turning the fin/side-rail assembly sideways makes it easier to slide forward.
Gluing down the side-rails and intakes.
Using scrap foam to apply glue to the section between the air intakes. Apologies for the hairy legs!
Gluing the centre section into position. Note the ragged edge at the lower join. Not happy.
To fix the rough edge, I made a wedge-shaped slot and cut a wedge of foam to fill it.
Gluing the wedge into place...
...to make a much cleaner join. Happy.
The motor mount is added, and magnets for the hatch glued in using 5-minute epoxy.
Servos and linkages installed. The servos wires run through a fat drinking straw, for neatness.
I used metal gear 9g servos, with 1 mm wire inside 3 mm CF tube for the pushrods.
The motor assembly was installed with epoxy. Servo wire extensions were fed into the battery bay.
Electronics installed in the battery bay. Six channel receiver, 40A ESC. Plenty of room!
I added heavy duty clear tape to the lower fuselage, to help absorb landing friction.
Masking off the cockpit area, ready for painting. Note the fibreglass mesh hinge for the hatch.
I used acrylic paint for the cockpit shape.
The finished cockpit area. I shaped the canards, and re-painted them later in to the build.
I printed red stars on photo paper, glued on with Elmers extra-strong spray adhesive.
I also applied some airframe numbers, to add a bit of interest up front.
The finished model!
Beautiful delta wing shape.
I love the aggressive lines of this plane. Looking forward to seeing this bad girl in the air!
5.27 KB · 4 views
15.72 KB · 4 views
8.28 KB · 4 views
17.07 KB · 3 views
14.21 KB · 3 views