F1wanabe Show full post »
Flybyknight22
Quote:
Leave the chin- it'll help with landings! Looks great and just wait untill you fly it!

Thanks F1,

It flew ok before but I hope it will fly better with this mod.

Loosing the extra weight plus less drag should make a big difference and from the "Remix" Flight videos that have been posted here I can see that it will.

Looking forward to trying her out after the Lipo-Suction.
And on the 8th day God said: "Go NAVY",.. and it was good! Pray like everything depends on God. Prepare like everything depends on you.
Quote 1 0
Flybyknight22
Quote:
You will love it. Without the draggy undercarriage it will not lose speed in the turns...

Your remix Guppy looks great!
And on the 8th day God said: "Go NAVY",.. and it was good! Pray like everything depends on God. Prepare like everything depends on you.
Quote 1 0
Flybyknight22
Quote:
Got to do some test flying of the X-32 today.
Went really good, will have more video soon.

I can't help coming back to this video of Dave flying the "Knee Caps" off of his Guppy!

I crack up every time I see it,.. so funny!
And on the 8th day God said: "Go NAVY",.. and it was good! Pray like everything depends on God. Prepare like everything depends on you.
Quote 3 0
F1wanabe
Yeah, that was a good one! Dave said a while back that he works with the strengths of a particular plane and does not try to make it do what it doesn't want to do. That's the guppy. The parkjet version anyway. No sense planting a big heavy powerful system on there if its best at stable slow flying. This all goes out the window with the remix, of course. That is stable going fast and slow equally well!
Quote 2 0
CRMERC
I was using mine for sea plane duty....made a few water landings.
Quote 3 0
F1wanabe
I'd like to see that footage! Sounds like a lot of fun, CFMERC!
Quote 2 0
F1wanabe
Here's Fed50's original remix once again....
Quote 3 0
Flybyknight22
Quote:
Yeah, that was a good one! Dave said a while back that he works with the strengths of a particular plane and does not try to make it do what it doesn't want to do. That's the guppy. The parkjet version anyway. No sense planting a big heavy powerful system on there if its best at stable slow flying. This all goes out the window with the remix, of course. That is stable going fast and slow equally well!

F1,
Can't put my finger on it but I've always had a soft spot for this plane.

The first one I built had KF2 and KF4s on it which is not ideal I would say.

I plan to build another Guppy without any KFs or just KF2 as I don't mind a plane being a bit floaty.

Some guys like lots of speed, which is ok but I also like to fly slow sometimes too.

Your X-32 is in my view one of the most unique park jets ever.

I liked the looks of the Guppy the first time I saw it, very different for sure and that makes it a stand out from all the rest.

Those that have never built one should, just don't use KF4+KF2s like I did on my first one.

The Guppy is a good plane and I'm glad I built one and plan to build another.

Thanks for a great plane.
And on the 8th day God said: "Go NAVY",.. and it was good! Pray like everything depends on God. Prepare like everything depends on you.
Quote 2 0
Flybyknight22
Quote:
I was using mine for sea plane duty....made a few water landings.

CRMERC,

How did you setup the Guppy for water landings?

That would be very interesting to see!
And on the 8th day God said: "Go NAVY",.. and it was good! Pray like everything depends on God. Prepare like everything depends on you.
Quote 1 0
F1wanabe
Quote:
F1,
Can't put my finger on it but I've always had a soft spot for this plane.

The first one I built had KF2 and KF4s on it which is not ideal I would say.

I plan to build another Guppy without any KFs or just KF2 as I don't mind a plane being a bit floaty.

Some guys like lots of speed, which is ok but I also like to fly slow sometimes too.

Your X-32 is in my view one of the most unique park jets ever.

I liked the looks of the Guppy the first time I saw it, very different for sure and that makes it a stand out from all the rest.

Those that have never built one should, just don't use KF4+KF2s like I did on my first one.

The Guppy is a good plane and I'm glad I built one and plan to build another.

Thanks for a great plane.

I'll tell you what, it was seeing it in person while Jay and I were visiting JettaManDan that did it for me! Then we started researching it. The Patuxent river naval air museum is such a great place to see (they actually renovated since we were there) and what struck me was that the planes looked like museum pieces - even the f35 prototype looked old. Then there was this staring us in the face:

It still looks current or a little futuristic to me. I'm confident it would have been up and flying on time and under budget. Yes I love the guppy and like I said in the intro, as it came together and I worked with it it grew on me. Anyway, glad you like the guppy and thanks for the support!

http://www.frcfoamies.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky
Quote 2 0
CRMERC
Quote:
CRMERC,

How did you setup the Guppy for water landings?

That would be very interesting to see!


I only did a few mods really......a couple of poorly designed floats on the wing tips is about all. Unfortunately I made it out of MPF "B" foam and it does not do well with water. I did make a few touch and goes and a couple of landings but if it sat in the water for more than a min or two it would statrt to take one water like a sponge. Oh and I ran it into a tree on shore. I think I may just give the cut off bottom a try.
Quote 2 0
CRMERC
Quote:
I'll tell you what, it was seeing it in person while Jay and I were visiting JettaManDan that did it for me! Then we started researching it. The Patuxent river naval air museum is such a great place to see (they actually renovated since we were there) and what struck me was that the planes looked like museum pieces - even the f35 prototype looked old. Then there was this staring us in the face:

It still looks current or a little futuristic to me. I'm confident it would have been up and flying on time and under budget. Yes I love the guppy and like I said in the intro, as it came together and I worked with it it grew on me. Anyway, glad you like the guppy and thanks for the support!

http://www.frcfoamies.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky


The mistake was not continuing the AirForce version of the X32 which as you point out would have been a cheaper and simpler plane than the X35. The "B" model or jump jet version of the X32 was never going to pan out I think.
Quote 0 0
Flybyknight22
Quote:
I only did a few mods really......a couple of poorly designed floats on the wing tips is about all. Unfortunately I made it out of MPF "B" foam and it does not do well with water. I did make a few touch and goes and a couple of landings but if it sat in the water for more than a min or two it would statrt to take one water like a sponge. Oh and I ran it into a tree on shore. I think I may just give the cut off bottom a try.

I hear You CRMERC,

I made mine out of MPF also and since F1 turned me on to it, MPF is now what I use for all my planes, although I did build NAMCs Mig-35B out of pink fan fold foam just to see how their design handles that material.

I did the remix modification on my Guppy.

It probably took less than 5-minutes to chop the bottom fuselage off. It took probably 30 minutes or so smoothing out the edges but now it's done and ready for a test flight.

Anxious to see how your mod goes if you decide to do it.
And on the 8th day God said: "Go NAVY",.. and it was good! Pray like everything depends on God. Prepare like everything depends on you.
Quote 2 0
F1wanabe

Jay just sent me a link to this excellent X32 video the RC Aviator guys did using aerial footage! Can't stop watching it...
Quote 7 0
CeeKay

Found a box of Depron when I was moving house recently so thought I'd use the time during lockdown (5 weeks and counting in the UK) to build a new X-32.
This is the 5th one I've built and I plan on keeping this one!

 

Thought I'd go freelance and 'vintage' with the colour scheme and I used a photo of an A-7 Corsair II for inspiration.  Couldn't think what to do for squadron markings and then whilst watching a movie, I had a flash of inspiration............   

94553164_10163556900870602_3937035652243128320_o.jpg
94615128_10163556900515602_1323037733202952192_o.jpg
94487680_10163556901935602_4437317819452882944_o.jpg      
94462734_10163556902315602_3792837386614865920_o.jpg

Slowly working my way through the RCPowers and FRC Foamies plans list
Quote 3 0