I think most people who are into parkjets have seen the fly-guy's by now. If not..a guy online decided to build his own flying man...or superhero! They are all over the news and i had been itching to build one for a while. After reading about people having some issues with cutting theirs out from plans..i decided to be lazy and get the balsabuddies pre-cut 46 inch one. Why? Cause i'm lazy sometimes!
! I wanted my fly-guy to be as precise as i could get it..and a precut kit made sense. Plus it came with wood pieces and some nice extras.
So i ordered one a few weeks back and started my build. Truthfully the plane is very simple to build...it is only about 12 pieces total. The balsabuddies kit comes with som thin sheet wood pieces that make up the motor mount and the head to be glued/laminated to some 3mm foam. The rest of it is 6mm depron.
I started by joining the two halves of the upper body/arms...and then laminating the head and motor plate pieces...i used hot glue for everything...you can use epoxy or microballoons or whatever you want. I prefer the speed of hot glue.
head halves and arms joined..used 2mm carbon rod (kit is already channeled for it) for strength..
laminated the motor mount and head
started on the legs....just have to attach the control "feet" to the lower legs..and add control horns...i prefer the Micro Razr ones..
next was dry fitting the body/leg halves to the main plate...the only tricky part of the build was that the sides can in 15 degrees to allow this to turn...if you fit the mid plate and the lower plate it will naturally pull it into the correct angle...but you need to chamfer the holes in the legs to allow it to work properly...
really once you lay the guy down on his back..it kinda all falls into place..the kit has motor mount plates that glue onto the sides..and the motor mount keys into slots in there..and then you lay the lower body down and it will splay out to fit into the holes in the top plate...i dry fitted it a bunch and when it all lined up well i started gluing...only took a short time...
you can then glue the "face" on..i did it beforehand and it all lined up thankfully
here you can see the motor mount..i built mine up 1st...the original designed suggested about 4 degrees of right thrust and 3-4 degrees of down thrust...i built mine up beforehand and then had it ready to go and glued in...again keyed into slots already there..
because i didn't like how much the arms flexed..i used thin popsicle sticks on the upper arms and inside the boy and underside of the arms to reinforce him...came out ok..
ESC in and wired...servo's in and control rods setup..ready for paint..
Painting him SUCKED the most..with all the 015 and 75 degree angles and different flat surfaced it took forever ot mask him off..and i did a bad job..got a lot of overspray....and the blue i used ran like a robber from a beak-in....but i just did it and tried my best...
i added the battery hump when i was done painting....he can no longer lay flat on his back..
added some rubber band tie-downs to keep the battery in..
and that is it! Printed out a "S" for him..and taped it on..used blue tape to hide a lot of my red overspray...
The CoG is supposedly right forward of his shoulder cut in the middle. Took him with me to PA to see my folks...and had my cousin try to throw him..unfortunately he kinda threw him right into the ground..and broke his head off in 1 second
Took him home..glued him back together..and finally got a shot at a re-maiden today..and he flew!
Here is his 1st flight...
He needs some tweaks..need to throw a 2200 in him..and adjust his foot a bit to get the yaw out...but he flies! And looks stylin doing it!