chachaya
I saw this video about these lipo batteries with steel plates along the long sides of the batteries. It looks good but what about when the battery is damaged somehow and wants to puff up. The sides don't have a plate but don't batteries puff a lot more on the side where the plate is? What do you think would happen if it is trying to puff up but can't?

Quote 0 0
Tyrant1919
I'm just going off of what I think. I think that a lipo that wants to puff a little bit may not show it visually as much. But once it gets to a certain level, the puff WILL go somewhere. I'm sure it will warp the metal as well as puff out along the sides not protected by the medal.

In my opinion, these are just a gimmick. I don't know anybody that stabs their battery packs. Even if you did you'd only be protected half the time considering it only covers roughly half the surface area of the pack.

I almost always carry my batteries in an old Ammo box when not in use. I keep care of my batteries and would never consider getting any form of additional protection for them.
Self declared Hydro F-1 & 150 master.
Quote 0 0
ImGonnaCrash
Quote:
I'm just going off of what I think. I think that a lipo that wants to puff a little bit may not show it visually as much. But once it gets to a certain level, the puff WILL go somewhere. I'm sure it will warp the metal as well as puff out along the sides not protected by the medal.

In my opinion, these are just a gimmick. I don't know anybody that stabs their battery packs. Even if you did you'd only be protected half the time considering it only covers roughly half the surface area of the pack.

I almost always carry my batteries in an old Ammo box when not in use. I keep care of my batteries and would never consider getting any form of additional protection for them.


I think they made it with the metal because in a bad crash some plastic or debris might puncture the battery and cause it to explode but with the metal theirs a less chance that it will puncture it.Just my thoughts but i think it may cause it to over heat instead of cool it.
Landing is just a controlled crash:yes:.
Quote 0 0
DJRubberCow
Quote:
I think they made it with the metal because in a bad crash some plastic or debris might puncture the battery and cause it to explode but with the metal theirs a less chance that it will puncture it.Just my thoughts but i think it may cause it to over heat instead of cool it.


I'm surprised that they protect a battery that only really gets dangerous when too much current flows (either through punctuation or short-circuiting) with an electricity-conducting material ...
Pretty much like protecting eggs by embedding them in a box filled with black powder.
Quote 0 0
dfarmercse
Nitroplanes needs to give Tony a raise so he can get a new shirt without a hole.

Dave F
Quote 0 0
Argonath
Quote:
I'm surprised that they protect a battery that only really gets dangerous when too much current flows (either through punctuation or short-circuiting) with an electricity-conducting material ...
Pretty much like protecting eggs by embedding them in a box filled with black powder.



Well, the other side of the metal casing may be coated with an insulator but that's hard to say.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Quote 0 0
kevinm
ill hafta start doing a preflight xactoknife check -in my oft- crashed lipo, the corner of the metal sheathing (special alloy) would have punctured the lipo-- my crashes shortened and fattened the lipo considerably
Quote 0 0
SCALLAN
Quote:
I saw this video about these lipo batteries with steel plates along the long sides of the batteries. It looks good but what about when the battery is damaged somehow and wants to puff up. The sides don't have a plate but don't batteries puff a lot more on the side where the plate is? What do you think would happen if it is trying to puff up but can't?



Lame!

Those metal plates will do NOTHING in a crash, and they only cover 2 sides of the 6 sided battery. I'd rather use the weight for more battery capacity.
And who charges their battery less than 1amp anyway? 2200mah battery can be balanced charged at 2.2Amps.

He might be a Alter boy on the weekends because he's wearing a holly shirt.
Quote 0 0
Tony
He didn't say 1 amp, he said 1C...big difference. 1C for a 2200mAh battery is 2.2 amps. According to what he said, you could charge this 2200mAh battery at 3c or 6.6 amps...if you have a charger that can handle that much current/watts.

I agree with the plates being pretty much useless though. Every lipo that I have seen crunched in a crash was always damaged on the end of the battery, not the side.
Quote 0 0
Argonath
Well, apparently it'll protect you from being burned by a LIPO fire if you decide to try to poke away at the side of the battery with a pen or X-acto knife.

Of course, poking a Lipo with a sharp object has ALWAYS been high on my list of things to try. Just like mixing chlorine and brake fluid in a plastic 2 liter bottle and then swishing it around in my hands while looking down the bottleneck to see what happens...


D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Quote 0 0
Dredogol
I've seen vids where lipo fires don't just burn like in a flame... but shoots out jets of liquid fire.
Now those are dangerous.
Quote 0 0