Wikked_Fool
Hey everyone, I am working on my third plane and the first two were utter failures, but I learned a lot about the build process. Something I have yet to understand is how to align the elevons correctly, as well as aligning the servos, rods, and control arms. If anyone has any videos of this part of their build process or a series of photos showing these steps, I would greatly appreciate it!
Quote 2 0
jimbosflyin
Quote:
Hey everyone, I am working on my third plane and the first two were utter failures, but I learned a lot about the build process. Something I have yet to understand is how to align the elevons correctly, as well as aligning the servos, rods, and control arms. If anyone has any videos of this part of their build process or a series of photos showing these steps, I would greatly appreciate it!

I just searched on youtube, Two servo controle set up on a foam plane.The second one down if you get the same results should help.
Parkflyers International 
Quote 1 0
bogusbandit56
Quote:
Hey everyone, I am working on my third plane and the first two were utter failures, but I learned a lot about the build process. Something I have yet to understand is how to align the elevons correctly, as well as aligning the servos, rods, and control arms. If anyone has any videos of this part of their build process or a series of photos showing these steps, I would greatly appreciate it!

This is a video I made with my hat cam and it is not very well aimed sorry.
You will get the idea.
I don`t cut all the way through the foam and then cut a bevel after I fix the scrim tape.
Wot, no Depron?
Quote 5 0
F1wanabe
Setting up the servo travel and control rod position on the servo arms is very important, so is the throws on each servo electronically if you're mixing for elevons. But one thing I've seen many new builders overlook (including me) is the control horn position on the elevon! The control horns must both be placed in the exact same position on the elevons. If one is closer to the hinge than the other then it'll have different travel than a horn further away from the hinge. You may have the throws and rates set the same in the radio, but once you pull up on the elevator control the plane will actually start to roll. This is very confusing to a new pilot. A strong hinge with no erroneous play is important too. I use fiberglass tape and foam tac to make mine and they are nice and strong- and light. Good luck!
Quote 9 0
hwilton
Ideally the hole you use in control horn should be directly above the hinge line for equal movement
Quote 3 0
Skydiver
Quote:
Setting up the servo travel and control rod position on the servo arms is very important, so is the throws on each servo electronically if you're mixing for elevons. But one thing I've seen many new builders overlook (including me) is the control horn position on the elevon! The control horns must both be placed in the exact same position on the elevons. If one is closer to the hinge than the other then it'll have different travel than a horn further away from the hinge. You may have the throws and rates set the same in the radio, but once you pull up on the elevator control the plane will actually start to roll. This is very confusing to a new pilot. A strong hinge with no erroneous play is important too. I use fiberglass tape and foam tac to make mine and they are nice and strong- and light. Good luck!

Very interesting ! In the "old days" we used to use pieces of gauze bandage for hinge material !
Quote 2 0
SukhoiLover
Lemme throw my 2 cents' worth in here, too, please?

With the servos centered (with the plane's battery AND the transmitter both activated) the servo arms' positions should be absolutely identical. You also want them to be as close to 90 degrees to the control rod as you can get them*. If not the geometry can give you "differential" control where one elevon moves more than the other for the same stick position. This can occur in pitch, roll, or both, and can really mess with your mind--but usually for a very short time before the plane is ready for another repair. :-(

* (Mount one control arm at 90 and one at a different angle then activate the controls and watch the control surface deflection. That's going to make the point a lot better than trying to explain through the forum.)
Quote 4 0
Wikked_Fool
Thanks for all the helpful information everyone! It has been quite a while since I've looked at this post, I haven't had a lot of time recently! I'm currently working on putting the finishing touches on my SU-35, and this has been very helpful.
Quote 3 0
Skydiver
Quote:
Thanks for all the helpful information everyone! It has been quite a while since I've looked at this post, I haven't had a lot of time recently! I'm currently working on putting the finishing touches on my SU-35, and this has been very helpful.

Just a comment, I picked up an angle cutting fixture to do the leading edge angles, from HobbyKing.com. it does a neat,precise cut, without a wavy freehand cut line..
Extra blades are available there too... Three angle cuts, 30*,45*,and 60*....
**
Quote 4 0
FlyteTime
Quote:
Just a comment, I picked up an angle cutting fixture to do the leading edge angles, from HobbyKing.com. it does a neat,precise cut, without a wavy freehand cut line..
Extra blades are available there too... Three angle cuts, 30*,45*,and 60*....
**

It's a really neat tool Billy, just try not to cut your finger off with it.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Quote 4 0
Wildthing
I saw it but being a somewhat cheap old crusty dude I just free hand it and then a little sanding.
Quote 3 0
bogusbandit56
Quote:
I saw it but being a somewhat cheap old crusty dude I just free hand it and then a little sanding.

Ditto, from an even cheaper crustier old dude.
Wot, no Depron?
Quote 2 0
Skydiver
Quote:
I saw it but being a somewhat cheap old crusty dude I just free hand it and then a little sanding.

I scrape the crust off and make my life easier!
Quote 3 0
Skydiver
Quote:
It's a really neat tool Billy, just try not to cut your finger off with it.

The opening is only 1/4 inch, no chance of that.
Quote 1 0