CrstnJdi
Has anyone else heard/watched and are not concerned/outraged by this?


This is the whole Subcommittee Meeting of the discussion :
Quote 1 0
CrstnJdi
Quote:
Has anyone else heard/watched and are not concerned/outraged by this?


This is the whole Subcommittee Meeting of the discussion :

I'm just trying to get the topic talked about and info passed around for discussion/knowledge. ^_^
Quote 1 0
MikeD
I feel this is probably very important information, but two and a half hours of video is a lot of time I can't spare at the moment. Can you provide a brief synopsis of what is covered and I'll try to watch it when I have more time?
Quote 0 0
CrstnJdi
Quote:
I feel this is probably very important information, but two and a half hours of video is a lot of time I can't spare at the moment. Can you provide a brief synopsis of what is covered and I'll try to watch it when I have more time?

The one of Xjet (first link) talking about it gives some important points to bring out. Read some of the comments to see other main points
Quote 0 0
TacticalFlight
Some of those people are FUBAR.....they need to pull heads out of their fifth point of contact.Does not surprise me what is being done.I will fly my models over my property in my farm fields reguardless of what is done.
Quote 0 0
TacticalFlight
No other comments?Really?.......wake up people.This is our hobby.
Quote 0 0
JTiger
I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet but I did read a few news articles on the subject. This seems very similar to the earlier FAA registration rule but with more authority to remotely identify/disable the UAS. I'm rather surprised I haven't heard/seen anything from the AMA regarding this.
Quote 2 0
CrstnJdi
Quote:
I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet but I did read a few news articles on the subject. This seems very similar to the earlier FAA registration rule but with more authority to remotely identify/disable the UAS. I'm rather surprised I haven't heard/seen anything from the AMA regarding this.

I'm surprised as well but AMA seems to do little nowadays it seems to the hobby field they should have so much to do with it. Signs of the times, or just not care anymore? *sighs*
Quote 1 0
JTiger
Quote:
I'm surprised as well but AMA seems to do little nowadays it seems to the hobby field they should have so much to do with it. Signs of the times, or just not care anymore? *sighs*


I definitely think a certain amount of regulation is necessary for commercial drone flight in order for it to move forward. However, hobbyists like us who fly line-of-sight in wide open fields (which usually have very few people in them) at low altitude don't post a very large threat to people or aviation.

Concern arises when you have quadcopters that can easily fly in more populated areas (cities) far beyond the distance where the operator can actually see the model. It doesn't help that anyone with some $$ can buy a quad, pull it out of the box, and fly it almost anywhere without any education on safe flying practices.
Quote 2 0
Bobfrog
I saw this coming some time ago. It's all about $$$ and what some companies think they can use drones for like delivering items with drones. For that they need low level airspace that is controlled. It will be hard to fight because of the power that the big companies have with the lawmakers. AMA says they are fighting it but their footprint seems to be very small. I am not sure how many members there are in the current AMA, the best estimate I know of is about 200,000. That is a very small special interest group compared to what big companies like Google and Amazon bring to the table. The only way to try a get modelers point across is to write your representatives and also the FAA.

If you watch Xjet's video you will see a number of special interest groups and regulatory agencies in the discussion. There was no AMA presence at this meeting. The FAA and the Drone group were obviously try to paint a very bad picture of what the "threats" are. Some of which were absolutely ludicrous and false and when one member of the committee tried to bring some of the issues to light he was shut down.

Everyone who flies RC needs to keep a close eye on this topic and send emails, letters etc to the proper people to try and keep our right to fly.
Take offs are optional, landings are not.
Quote 2 0