solentlife
27 - 29 April this year is Russian easter and coincides with Cirava Airfield having its annual Spring Clean of the hangar.

The hangar is pretty large and based on Luftwaffe in WW2 Fighter base and later Soviet Front Line Mig defence base.

The aircraft were all out of the hangar by time I got there and here they are : (the interior shots are inside the AN2 which is a current flying example). 

General view across the grass runway from the hard runway
PICT0001.jpg 
From the taxi-way
PICT0002.jpg  PICT0003.jpg 
MIG 15 two seater ... I tried to buy as it was left to rot ... which prompted airfield owner to start renovating !
PICT0004.jpg  PICT0005.jpg  PICT0006.jpg  PICT0007.jpg  PICT0008.jpg  PICT0009.jpg  PICT0010.jpg  PICT0011.jpg 
AN2 used for Parachute drops etc
PICT0012.jpg  PICT0013.jpg  PICT0014.jpg  PICT0015.jpg  PICT0016.jpg  PICT0017.jpg  PICT0018.jpg 
Can someone identify ... all I have is the Latvian name which does not translate
PICT0019.jpg  PICT0020.jpg  PICT0021.jpg  PICT0022.jpg  PICT0023.jpg  PICT0024.jpg  PICT0025.jpg  PICT0026.jpg  PICT0027.jpg  PICT0028.jpg  PICT0029.jpg  PICT0030.jpg  PICT0031.jpg 
AN2 Cockpit ... 
PICT0034.jpg  PICT0035.jpg  PICT0036.jpg  PICT0037.jpg 
Interior ... stripped for Parachute use
PICT0038.jpg 
I'll fly anything if I can launch it ! Youtube : solentlifeuk
Quote 2 0
Wildthing
Some cool treasures in there. 
Quote 0 0
solentlife
Here's in video form ... 




I'll fly anything if I can launch it ! Youtube : solentlifeuk
Quote 1 0
bogusbandit56
solentlife wrote:
27 - 29 April this year is Russian easter and coincides with Cirava Airfield having its annual Spring Clean of the hangar.

The hangar is pretty large and based on Luftwaffe in WW2 Fighter base and later Soviet Front Line Mig defence base.

The aircraft were all out of the hangar by time I got there and here they are : (the interior shots are inside the AN2 which is a current flying example). 

General view across the grass runway from the hard runway
PICT0001.jpg 
From the taxi-way
PICT0002.jpg  PICT0003.jpg 
MIG 15 two seater ... I tried to buy as it was left to rot ... which prompted airfield owner to start renovating !
PICT0004.jpg  PICT0005.jpg  PICT0006.jpg  PICT0007.jpg  PICT0008.jpg  PICT0009.jpg  PICT0010.jpg  PICT0011.jpg 
AN2 used for Parachute drops etc
PICT0012.jpg  PICT0013.jpg  PICT0014.jpg  PICT0015.jpg  PICT0016.jpg  PICT0017.jpg  PICT0018.jpg 
Can someone identify ... all I have is the Latvian name which does not translate
PICT0019.jpg  PICT0020.jpg  PICT0021.jpg  PICT0022.jpg  PICT0023.jpg  PICT0024.jpg  PICT0025.jpg  PICT0026.jpg  PICT0027.jpg  PICT0028.jpg  PICT0029.jpg  PICT0030.jpg  PICT0031.jpg 
AN2 Cockpit ... 
PICT0034.jpg  PICT0035.jpg  PICT0036.jpg  PICT0037.jpg 
Interior ... stripped for Parachute use
PICT0038.jpg 


YL-Cam is a PZL 104 Wilga. Polish utility STOL plane. I have a HobbyKing  model in the attic🙂
Wot, no Depron?
Quote 1 0
solentlife
Quote:
YL-Cam is a PZL 104 Wilga. Polish utility STOL plane


I was ~ it was but didn't want to make fool if wrong .... 

Interesting plane ... big prop ... amazing leading edge slots ... big wing ..... I can imagine if taking off in not much run ... 
I'll fly anything if I can launch it ! Youtube : solentlifeuk
Quote 0 0
bogusbandit56
solentlife wrote:


I was ~ it was but didn't want to make fool if wrong .... 

Interesting plane ... big prop ... amazing leading edge slots ... big wing ..... I can imagine if taking off in not much run ... 

I became interested in this plane cuz I love the Fiesler Storch, similar wing technology.
I would imagine the Wilga`s at this airport were used as glider tugs.
Wot, no Depron?
Quote 0 0
solentlife
Not sure ... all I know is that there were 2 dismantled airframes / engines there when I first flew there ... then other 'parts' appeared. Then there were 2 all up RTF !! With others as you see in various stages.

I have to say - its butt ugly !! but in that has a unique character.
I'll fly anything if I can launch it ! Youtube : solentlifeuk
Quote 0 0
bogusbandit56
solentlife wrote:
Not sure ... all I know is that there were 2 dismantled airframes / engines there when I first flew there ... then other 'parts' appeared. Then there were 2 all up RTF !! With others as you see in various stages.

I have to say - its butt ugly !! but in that has a unique character.


The way I see the Wilga is like a bull dog pup, that is so ugly it`s cute.
Wot, no Depron?
Quote 0 0
solentlife
Its funny the subject of Ugly ..... I swear that Car Designers are all in a competition to see who can design the most daft and ugliest car ... and when someone hits the spot - they all copy it till the next one ... 
I'll fly anything if I can launch it ! Youtube : solentlifeuk
Quote 2 0
bogusbandit56
solentlife wrote:
Its funny the subject of Ugly ..... I swear that Car Designers are all in a competition to see who can design the most daft and ugliest car ... and when someone hits the spot - they all copy it till the next one ... 

I totally agree. I nearly vomited walking past a Toyota distributor the other day.
The Nissan Juke is another pile I can`t look at with a full stomach, they make the Citroen Dyane look good.
Wot, no Depron?
Quote 0 0
solentlife
Always remember Clarkson on Top Gear .... saying that Toyota and most Jap car makers are excellent at copying but when it comes to own designs, where nothing to copy they end up with cars like the Yaris !! 

I have to agree ... the Juke takes the prize at the moment !
I'll fly anything if I can launch it ! Youtube : solentlifeuk
Quote 0 0