Sterling101 Show full post »
Wildthing
Quote:
It's taking shape anyway. And putting on weight too but that's to be expected when a quarter of it's 1905g is the battery...

[ATTACH=full]54773[/ATTACH]

Did I read that right about the weight of you battery? 1905g .
Quote 1 0
andy_downs
Quote:
I've got it angled upwards towards the front so it retracts up out of the way quite high.

I'll see if I can take some shots of it close up so you can see how it works...

Edit: photo's taken showing how it sits in.

[ATTACH]54766[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]54767[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]54768[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]54769[/ATTACH]

many thx
Quote 1 0
Sterling101
Quote:
Did I read that right about the weight of you battery? 1905g .

All up weight with battery is 1905g - about 500g is battery weight. Heavy things those 6S 3000's!
Thankfully there's only the top of the wings to skin and the turtle deck but it should be about 300g lighter than the previous build once it's all in paint.
I'm estimating about 2200g all in.
Whoever said nothing is impossible had obviously never tried slamming a revolving door...
Quote 2 0
Wildthing
Quote:
All up weight with battery is 1905g - about 500g is battery weight. Heavy things those 6S 3000's!
Thankfully there's only the top of the wings to skin and the turtle deck but it should be about 300g lighter than the previous build once it's all in paint.
I'm estimating about 2200g all in.

I misunderstood, I thought the battery by itself was 1905g. I have one 5000mah 6S battery and I think it is around 870g so it really had my head shaking.
Quote 2 0
Sterling101
Now if only they could make a 5000mah 6S that weighed around 250g - that would be a game changer!

One day maybe...

Talking of head shaking, I'm working on the wing ribs in Inkscape at the minute. I've decided to change the way I did it on the last one so it should *hopefully* give me a slightly thinner airfoil so in theory less drag. Hopefully should equate to either more speed or ideally longer flight times.
Doesn't hurt to experiment I suppose
Whoever said nothing is impossible had obviously never tried slamming a revolving door...
Quote 2 0
FlyteTime
Nice craftmanship Sterling, I love watching you put these elaborate planes together. You da man.....
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Quote 3 0
Sterling101
Quote:
Nice craftmanship Sterling, I love watching you put these elaborate planes together. You da man.....

This is one of the simple ones to build really. Just this time I'm updating and making the plan repeatable which I didn't last time.
With a small amount of modification it could be a pusher rather than an EDF and have the option for an all singing, all dancing one with flaps and retracts like this one or a basic aileron/elevator/rudder setup for hand launching which would be a lot lighter.

Once I've got this together though I'll be looking for a willing victim, erm, volunteer I mean to put one together based on my plans...
Whoever said nothing is impossible had obviously never tried slamming a revolving door...
Quote 2 0
Sterling101
Wing ribs cut and fitted. Have also put the control surface edge pieces in too before skinning.
On the last one I did it after and it wasn't the nicest to do so figured it would be the best way to go while I was onto that stage.
Plan wise, the ribs don't show the cut angle but I'll add that in I think. The cut for the flaps is straight as they only fold downwards but the ailerons have a slight backward cut on the wing side to allow full movement.
Wings are now ready to be skinned though so getting closer bit by bit!

Have also carved a bit of shape into the nose but that looks like I've just hacked at it so far (ok, so I have) but it won't take long for that to form up once I've had some sanding block time...

IMG_20180417_210950_570.jpg 
IMG_20180417_211007_491.jpg 
IMG_20180417_211027_143.jpg 
Whoever said nothing is impossible had obviously never tried slamming a revolving door...
Quote 2 0
Wildthing
Quote:
Wing ribs cut and fitted. Have also put the control surface edge pieces in too before skinning.
On the last one I did it after and it wasn't the nicest to do so figured it would be the best way to go while I was onto that stage.
Plan wise, the ribs don't show the cut angle but I'll add that in I think. The cut for the flaps is straight as they only fold downwards but the ailerons have a slight backward cut on the wing side to allow full movement.
Wings are now ready to be skinned though so getting closer bit by bit!

Have also carved a bit of shape into the nose but that looks like I've just hacked at it so far (ok, so I have) but it won't take long for that to form up once I've had some sanding block time...

[ATTACH]54791[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]54792[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]54793[/ATTACH]

You do such great work Leigh, true craftsman. Or as our PM would say because we have to be gender neutral "craftsperson".

As a pusher with landing gear (retracts ) how high does it sit? Would it drag the prop on take-off?
Quote 2 0
Sterling101
Quote:
You do such great work Leigh, true craftsman. Or as our PM would say because we have to be gender neutral "craftsperson".

As a pusher with landing gear (retracts ) how high does it sit? Would it drag the prop on take-off?


I think it would be a classic for prop strike as it goes tail down on take off and landing hence thinking a hand launch one would be better for the pusher.
Also it would be rather a lot lighter without about 900g of retract and EDF unit.

If you watch my last video of the HK hawk at about 4:30 in you can see how these things rotate and want to head skywards - that was with the slightest bit of elevator to break ground!
Whoever said nothing is impossible had obviously never tried slamming a revolving door...
Quote 1 0
andy_downs
Quote:
I think it would be a classic for prop strike as it goes tail down on take off and landing hence thinking a hand launch one would be better for the pusher.
Also it would be rather a lot lighter without about 900g of retract and EDF unit.

If you watch my last video of the HK hawk at about 4:30 in you can see how these things rotate and want to head skywards - that was with the slightest bit of elevator to break ground!

that's my concern with my big SU although ive a reasonable prop clearance and will have anti prop strike wires but it will that breaking the ground especially as I intend to fly off grass.
Quote 2 0
Sterling101
Quote:
that's my concern with my big SU although ive a reasonable prop clearance and will have anti prop strike wires but it will that breaking the ground especially as I intend to fly off grass.

If you're very careful you can get away with it, especially on grass but on an asphalt runway there's a very high risk of prop damage sadly.
Kind of why I went down the EDF route from the start really, although for the weight and size of a pusher which would be about half the weight of the EDF one it would be an easy hand launch if a little bulky.
Whoever said nothing is impossible had obviously never tried slamming a revolving door...
Quote 2 0
Combatevolved
Quote:
It's taking shape anyway. And putting on weight too but that's to be expected when a quarter of it's 1905g is the battery...

[ATTACH=full]54773[/ATTACH]


Gorgeous plane. It's a totally different level to the HK T45. I can't wait to see her fly again. (Also itching to see that Vulcan beasty)
Quote 2 0