whatmovesyou
Aero-bat is brother to Geo-bat.
aerobat 001.JPG 

Bottom of:
aerobat 002.JPG 

As you probably begin to notice, I fly odd and different things, so I built and test this 36" behemoth. Why I picked it, it has 3 sets of controls, the back, side, and a set by the props.(we can cut or add inches in width)

Since I like to windsurf and do high alpha flying, what is going to be the best control setup?

If you think about it each, each surface could be or be not functioning, or acting with another or in a different capacity. (flaps, spoilers). I don't know the total math possibilities, but should be fun. What I am looking is the right combo to have max control in high winds. I don't want to strengthen it, or add power, just have some fun. That is what is all about.

On the build side, here is one way to make two rudders move with one servo. I use two control horns, use a Z bend at one end and a threaded adjustment rod with a clip and you got it. See next entry.
I like to design and fly unique planes.
Quote 1 0
whatmovesyou
aerobat 003.JPG 
Here is test flight. First part elevons only, second try added ailerons against gusty winds. Will do real testing in lighter winds. Named it aerobat ic in hopes it will be.

I like to design and fly unique planes.
Quote 1 0
f4mnect
looks crazy, would be fun playing with mixes to calm things down, treat then like ailerons and elevators and maybe mix them a little, also mix in some dual rates and expo
Quote 0 0
whatmovesyou
Quote:
looks crazy, would be fun playing with mixes to calm things down, treat then like ailerons and elevators and maybe mix them a little, also mix in some dual rates and expo


I am hoping that spoiler/flaps will slow fly and do some controlled high alphas.
I like to design and fly unique planes.
Quote 0 0
JettaManDan
i am doing the same rudder setup on a plane of mine i'm modifying now...

have seen theese on rcgroups....cool you are messing with the design...
My YouTube Channel - 250+ Video's! http://www.youtube.com/jettamandan09

I'm an R/C Junkie! 40+ planes - 12 Heli's - 6 multirotors - and ground vehicles galore! I've got issues.
Quote 0 0
whatmovesyou
Finally got to fly it in 5-15 mph winds. It loop very tightly, will do a slowwwww roll and hang in there like any other of my windy airplanes. The only thing you need to watch is what angle you launch in the wind. Almost hit me in the face. So another fun airplane.
I like to design and fly unique planes.
Quote 0 0
breaker1crazy
I've never seen a rudder control setup like that, i think its just what i need for my new SU-37. When i tried putting a rudder on my old f-35 v2 i had to mount the servo directly on the center foam piece in order to get my control rods to each rudder. However it just couldn't make either of the rudders move a decent amount, this should work perfectly... if you don't mind me using it that is.
"oh my gosh it works! look at that its flying, wow thats",(BAM!)..."never mind."

YouTube Channel-http://http://www.youtube.com/user/thedoeverythingguy
Quote 0 0
whatmovesyou
Quote:
I've never seen a rudder control setup like that, i think its just what i need for my new SU-37. When i tried putting a rudder on my old f-35 v2 i had to mount the servo directly on the center foam piece in order to get my control rods to each rudder. However it just couldn't make either of the rudders move a decent amount, this should work perfectly... if you don't mind me using it that is.


It's for anybody. Just set up one side using subtrim to center the rudder and with a threaded rod, you can adjust the other side real easy.
I like to design and fly unique planes.
Quote 0 0
LukeWarm
Do any of you think the hole in the center being smaller, would make it more stable?
Quote 0 0
Jeriah
Last summer I made a plane similar to that and I couldn't get it to fly. It had to much lift in front of the motor I guess. It would just wobble up and down. I wonder if a gyro would have helped? That thing fly pretty good though!


If you were inside your plane... You would never crash.
eZflight ~ Where flight is easy!
Youtube videos ~ https://www.youtube.com/ezflight
Quote 0 0
whatmovesyou
Quote:
Last summer I made a plane similar to that and I couldn't get it to fly. It had to much lift in front of the motor I guess. It would just wobble up and down. I wonder if a gyro would have helped? That thing fly pretty good though!


If you were inside your plane... You would never crash.


That sounds like a CG problem or too much deflections for your elevator.
.
I like to design and fly unique planes.
Quote 1 0