bobdabilduh55

Started this build two years ago but got distracted. 
Took it down form the shelf night before last and cut-out the last few parts and started taping and pinning the prototype together. The last Tomcat I made was done in the MACH or wings swept config ( sorry i'm to dumb to do a real swing-wing) so this one has the wings at 50% of arc.
It will have a GH Super-Mega-Jet motor; 60A ESC; 6x5.5 prop; and two servos for the Tailerons which will be in the "Ailerons-on-a-stick Configuration mounted below the level of the main wing. 
IMG_0637.jpg  IMG_0639.jpg  IMG_0640.jpg  IMG_0641.jpg
"Five Easy Pieces"
WATT FLYER Forum's 2012 Scratch-Builder Award Winner
(For Posting outstanding scratch building threads on Wattflyer)
Quote 2 0
bobdabilduh55
Problems and more problems when i tossed her in the air. Some of the problems were caused by my not making the elevons as i usually do. I tried something new and well it failed. Then i also discovered that the aileron channel of the SPEKTRUM Rx would suddenly fault and the servo would spin around like it was possessed until you unplugged the battery or the impact with the ground disconnected the battery. 
I tried switching the servos and channels and it affected each servo in turn. 
These unceremonious contacts with the ground pretty much shredded the forward fuse.
"Five Easy Pieces"
WATT FLYER Forum's 2012 Scratch-Builder Award Winner
(For Posting outstanding scratch building threads on Wattflyer)
Quote 0 0
bobdabilduh55
"Five Easy Pieces"
WATT FLYER Forum's 2012 Scratch-Builder Award Winner
(For Posting outstanding scratch building threads on Wattflyer)
Quote 0 0
bobdabilduh55
The 5EZP F-14 TOMCAT v2 RETURNS for another flight her sixth now ( so far only three flights went unrecorded due to GOPRO problems ) and relatively free of technical issues except for my SPEKTRUM Tx had forgotten the TOMCAT as a saved plane. So i had to set-up the TX all over again and rebind it to the plane. Lost all my trim settings and had to re-trim. The next attempt ended abruptly when the GH Super-Mega-Jet motor shorted and caught fire. I was able to get to it quickly and unplug the battery and stop the fire. The heat melted the hot glue around the Lexan fire-wall.
Oye!
Installed a new MEGA-JET motor this evening and put a 7x5 prop on her instead of a 6x5.5 she previously had. Can't wait to try it out.

"Five Easy Pieces"
WATT FLYER Forum's 2012 Scratch-Builder Award Winner
(For Posting outstanding scratch building threads on Wattflyer)
Quote 1 0
bobdabilduh55
Switched to a 7x5 prop on the Super-Mega-Jet Motor which makes for some fun flying.

"Five Easy Pieces"
WATT FLYER Forum's 2012 Scratch-Builder Award Winner
(For Posting outstanding scratch building threads on Wattflyer)
Quote 1 0
bobdabilduh55
"Five Easy Pieces"
WATT FLYER Forum's 2012 Scratch-Builder Award Winner
(For Posting outstanding scratch building threads on Wattflyer)
Quote 1 0