Windrider Fox 1,65 m WS

Discussion in 'Storebought Planes' started by Lgel, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Fox gliders seem to excel at slope soaring, my modded ST Fox is quite good, but I was looking for this one and finally ordered one directly to Ming Lou (Windrider boss), he replied the same day and shipped it next day.

I already fly a Windrider Bee 2 from Windrider (excellent), and one of the best slope flyers of our region flew usually a Windrider Fox (I saw him fly her by 7-8 beaufort at less than 500 g).

My regular buddy for slope soaring, bought his Fox second hand, well used, and flew her. I was amazed at the range of wind she could fly, and how fast and well she flew.

So I have finished building a kit for this slope glider, without rudder (optional, my ST Fox turns quite well without rudder with the adequate amount of differential on ailerons).

Will try to fly her at 400g, wing profile is really very thin, I built a Nimh battery from four 750 mah AAA (hope it will not fail due to my limited soldering skills).

Cheers.

. Windrider Fox.jpg

Wildthing and bogusbandit56 like this.
  2. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

After a successful maiden where she was lacking aileron response, sloped her again with more aileron throws and CG at 2 inches, and she flew very well.

At this weight she can fly on very low lift, catches the faintest thermal, and slows down easily to minimize damage on landings.

She is an elegant, fast (surprisingly fast) , and nimble scale looking aerobatic glider.

Not a difficult build, but you have to make choices before building (rudder or not, affecting battery choice, target weight), here the very long thread in RCGroups is a very informative read.

Gluing correctly magnets holding wings together is the main difficulty, front cockpit magnets won't work if you glue them in their pocket as indicated. I reinforced with 3mm carbon strip wing tips, ailerons, and horizontal stab.

Her size allows me to load her in my small car without dismounting wings.

Wanted one since the first day I saw one fly two years ago, I should have bought one before.

Cheers.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.
  3. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Perfectly tuned now, she is an incredible sloper, difficult to believe she is a foamy.
    Can easily replicate all the aerobatics I can do on the slope sims.

Cheers.

bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.
  4. How many slopers you got going? ;)

5. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

I have a Phoenix 1600, a Windrider Bee 2, an ST Fox, a Vagabond XL, and this Windrider Fox.

At the beginning my requirements were ability to withstand landing abuse, ease of flight, and motor to avoid loosing her over the sea.

After breaking two motors, and props on landings, I switched to pure gliders as all good slopers were doing locally.

I have been trying different gliders to find the one most interesting to fly on my slope.

Now I can land them most of the time unharmed, and my flying skills have improved so I prefer to fly aerobatics gliders.

Depending of my flight companions (mid air risk), and wind strength I choose one or other.

The Vagabond XL can fly in low lift, but is no fun to fly then, but is great in medium conditions.
    The Windrider Fox is great from low lift to medium.
    The Bee 2 I use in fresh wind (with variable ballast she can fly in low lift also), but aerobatics are not as pleasant as traditional gliders.
    The ST Fox is similar to the Windrider but is outclassed (nevertheless a fast and elegant glider).
    The Phoenix 1600 is a good bet to begin sloping, sturdy, easy to fly, cheap, but not really meant for aerobatics.

Some weeks I have flown every afternoon!

Cheers.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Grantman and Wildthing like this.