Where to connect an external bec?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Jeriah, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Jeriah

Jeriah Top Gun

Do external becs connect to the receiver? I'd like to know

2. Fei_Hu

Fei_Hu Airman

Yes. You have to wire it inline with the ESC and plug it into the Bat terminal on the receiver. The plug from the ESC plugs into the throttle channel but YOU MUST DISABLE the middle (red) wire or you can fry the receiver.

3. colorc

colorc Airman

i've read most day to cut the red wire, but with a micro flat head screwdriver you can take it out of the plastic connector and tape it with electrical tape. if you dont plan on using the internal BEC just cut it. if you have one without a internal BEC, than you dont have to even worry about the red wire.

were does everyone wire the power side of their external BEC? i put the wire together with the ESC and soldered them both to the deans. it works but has become an annoyance because it is always in the way.

4. supervyper

supervyper Cadet

Option- Get a 3" servo extension and cut the red wire that way you still maintain the ESC throttle plug jic you want to use later without external BEC.

5. rodrigo

rodrigo Top Gun

any unused channel will serve you to connect the BEC just check the polarity 3 times before connect the battery... even you can connect the BEC to a used channel with a Y harness... in video is connected to channel 1

remove the red wire from the ESC will save the rx and ESC.. disconnect the plug with a srewdriver or x-acto is the best option (the ESC is ready to use in other plane without mayor work)... the extension way is ok, bt the option one is for free

6. Jeriah

Jeriah Top Gun

Im using this esc http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7339__Hobbyking_SS_Series_50_60A_ESC.html it doesnt have an internal bec does it?, I also have a external 3 amp bec. so i plug it into the receiver (anywhere right?) then cut the red wire on the esc or use an extension and and cut the red wire on that.... is that correct? and i understand the bec has something to do with eliminating battery circuit or something like that but i dont really know how they work. could some on e explain please?

thanks
    jeriah

7. LukeWarm

LukeWarm Top Gun

8. LukeWarm

LukeWarm Top Gun

I never cut that wire. lift the lock with a razor blade and the pin pulls right out of the connector.

OK, OK I used a straight pin instead of a razor blade, sue-me.

Flybyknight22 and concon32 like this.
  9. Jeriah

Jeriah Top Gun

So when using a receiver battery you don't need a bec? and is it better to use a external or internal bec?

10. LukeWarm

LukeWarm Top Gun

Do not use two power source at one time, thay will fight each other and one will loose. Unless you really know what you are doing, dont do this. To use two power sources at once to supply power to the receiver, the voltages have to be exactly equal, otherwise when you connect them, you might puff a battery or burn up the BEC. You must also have a separate better connection between the batteries so that they do not equalize through the receiver; this could fry the receiver.

Do you want light, or heavy duty?

An internal bec is the lightest and most popular way of powering a receiver. Most of them will only power a 3 amp load, but this is all most planes need !!!

If you want something heavy duty, Pilots go to an external bec because you can get ones that will handle 5 amps and better. They are easy to find, and will handle almost anything you throw at them. Receiver batteries are also used for this same reason. The down side is of course the extra weight.

11. LukeWarm

LukeWarm Top Gun

12. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

Great timing. I expect a BEC in the mail today or tomorrow. Thanks for the video.

13. BrewmeisterBill

BrewmeisterBill Cadet

Just an FYI....

Another option would to buy a BEC from Dimension Engineering and you can eliminate the need for removing the red wire from the ESC wire as shown above. The ESC plugs into the BEC and the BEC plugs into the Rx. Something to keep in mind for future reference. You'll still need to solder the leads to the battery leads from the ESC. I use one in my HS and my Freewing Hellcat.

-bill

14. Ej89

Ej89 Rookie

I have a question about BECs. Im building a quad and I was wondering, could I use four ESCs that DO NOT HAVE INTERNAL BECs, just plain and normal ESCs, with ONE external BEC to connect to the receiver? or do I need four ESCs that have internal BECs (meaning I would have four BECs)?

15. Grantman

Grantman Top Gun

Your choice. For a basic quad using just a flight controller and an RX you could use the ESCs BEC for power, how many depends on their construction. BECs with a switching regulator cannot be ganged together, alleged bad things happen like voodoo curses and such. These can be identified by the toroid on the servo wire, if you are using four of these it is recommended to remove the center wire from three of the plugs so as not to cause interference. If the servo wires from the ESCs lack the metal ring with wire wrapped around it them they employ linear regulators and can be all connected normally.
    Using an on-board BEC means more heat being generated by the ESC, so some like the "Opto" ESCs, meaning no BEC, and will employ a UBEC for power. If you run the ESCs on the ragged edge for racing or such or have lots of gear (GPS, camera, VTX.....) then this is a good option. Some will use three opto ESCs and one with BEC just to save weight, lots of ways to get there from here.

16. csitas

csitas Ace Pilot

It seems to me that someone made an elctronic type thing that goes inline here. It was supposed to let you one of two available sources of battery power. A fail safe is what it was. Can't find the thing it my mind for nothing. I know it was on u tube also. I was going to make this ,that's why I remember it.It only entailed a couple of pieces, and the cost was next to nothing.

17. csitas

csitas Ace Pilot

Hey guys, I just happen to this down . It's called a bus tie. It's done with two schotky diodes. Simple too.

18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  19. csitas

csitas Ace Pilot

F1 ,have you ever seen the circut that I'm mentioning here?

20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Oh, is that a capacitor that conditions the voltage to the esc? I haven't seen it but have heard of it.