When Vulcan's Meet

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Sterling101, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Had an invite to visit Vulcan XM-655 at the weekend and was asked to bring my model down too.
    Turns out I'm not the only one to have built a Vulcan and given it the 655 tail number! His was very well turned out though even if it was only a 48" span ;)

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

DSC_0346-1.jpg

Cracking day out with plenty of people there at the event and the engine run up was amazing close up too!

Just a shame it wasn't flying weather...

Grantman, Airforce101, Lgel and 5 others like this.
  2. 1st I was afraid to open this thread (when Vulcans Meet), I was thinking midair collision. :D :D

2nd, that is really cool, did they let you fly theirs???

3. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Sadly not - don't half miss the sight and sound of one of these in the air though!

Just trying to get the video together and uploaded of the engine run up to 25% power :D

4. thunder

thunder Top Gun

Many years ago I went to RAF Swinderby air show [ 1986 ] ish and there was a stall selling parts from scrapped Vulcans with the proceeds going towards getting XM-655 back in the air. I purchased a turbine blade and a signed copy [ navigator from black buck missions ] of a painting of a 3 ship Vulcan scramble. As I recall there were several [ low flight time ] Vulcans purchased by organisations with the intentions of getting them flight worthy and on to the air show circuit. I lost track of XM-655 and in those days we never had the internet. Its great to see XM-655 alive and kicking and although she is not allowed to fly she is still a beauty. I reckon my purchase of the turbine blade and the signed copy of the Vulcan scramble was money well spent.

5. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

And 17 minutes of pure cold war noise and joy has been uploaded!

Main engine fire ups start after about 3 minutes :D

6. DualDesertEagle

DualDesertEagle Ace Pilot

That's some alarming overhang behind the main landing gear! Is the CG really that far up front? I smell tail strike for unexperienced pilots.

andy_downs and Sterling101 like this.
  7. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Surprisingly few occurrences really. Very handy for aerodynamic braking though...

And this is XM-655 doing one of her taxi runs. Skip to 3:00 for the actual run...

8. DualDesertEagle

DualDesertEagle Ace Pilot

Well the tail sure as hell came very close to touching the ground during that landing.

andy_downs, Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  9. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I`m sure that a few tails got scraped in scramble take offs, but fortunately the RAF had ground crew that could repair the damage:)

andy_downs, Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.