What FOAM do you use, and where do you get it?

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by DavePowers, Apr 24, 2015.

1. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

What foam do you scratchbuild with and where do you buy it from?

I'd like to have some more links to good foam/suppliers to point people to.

Skydiver and RobDavis like this.
  2. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Genuine Depron for different purposes, the most common standard heating Depron. Sometimes I use Depron Aero and extra rigid/stiff Aero. I get it from my neighbor who owns a floor heating company.

Skydiver likes this.
  3. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Ok thanks. So in Sweden they sell Depron at the hardware stores.
    Do you know which other European Countries have it this easy to get?

4. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes Dave sort of hardware stores with a special focus on floor insulation. Ebisol, Kapron are other brands with the same properties (Extruded Polystyrene) as Depron. These brands and several other similar products are marketed in Norway, Sweden, Finland, Netherlands, Germany, maybe also in Denmark and GB.

http://www.ebeco.com/products/insulation-boards/ebisol

5. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Ok very helpful thank you.

Airflow likes this.
  6. Grantman

Grantman Top Gun

I use Ross craft board, sold under the Elmers brand, only available in Canada at Dollarama. Little tricky to peel but way nicer than Reddi board. No waves, consistent 4.5mm peeled, and stronger. Rolls really well too.
    IMG-20140615-00578.jpg

7. theplumber717

theplumber717 Ace Pilot

I started with dollar tree foam, but after finding this site i only use depron, usually from grayson hobby. I do have a case of model plane foam, but have not used it yet in a build.

chris_tall, DavePowers and Airflow like this.
  8. EricR

EricR Ace Pilot

DavePowers likes this.
  9. Argonath

Argonath Top Gun

In Europe, this kind of foam is readily available because the local building codes use it in floor insulation (As already mentioned by Airflow). It's made in Germany and they have an exclusive supplier for North America (RCFoam).

The reason you don't find it readily available for sale in renovation stores and other construction supply stores is because it doesn't meet with the North American build code standards hence no demand for it.

I did find a manufacturer of it in Thailand for dirt cheap prices of about 0.20 cents a sheet but, they require a minimum order of 100 cartons (20 foam boards each carton). I don't know about anyone else here but I know I don't have enough place to store 100 cartons of 20 sheets 6mm Depron.

I mostly use Dollar tree foam and depending on what I'm building I might double up but then it gets a bit hefty and sluggish for flying. I also tried laminating a sheet of balsa to the foam and while it did give far more rigidity to the foam it also doubled the weight.

Anything else I've tried is just too pricey to buy and ship compared to Dollar store foam unfortunately.

Also, didn't we have a thread on this topic back in the day?

Airflow and DavePowers like this.
  10. Argonath

Argonath Top Gun

11. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

Model Plane foam is great!!!

12. I use MPF, have used depron before and I can say that MPF is 80-90% depron-like in stiffness but better to sand and bend.
    I use combination of both "Grade A" (for wing and nose) and "Grade B" (for nacelles, rudders and base plates for landings)... They both are equally stiff I feel, the only difference is the texture...
    Grade A of course has better texture (smooth surface) and paints better... I like it very much because its way cheaper and is close enough to depron...

13. flyhighhobbies

flyhighhobbies Administrator

I use laminated dollar tree foam. Always have to widen the slots but is the same weight as dollar tree foam with paper on and seems stronger.

I also use hot wired Dow blue 3/4" insulation cut down to 6mm but the tensile strength is not good enough for park jets. And cracks on normal landings.

Dave you must be looking for something a little more durable and would be awesome if a plastics engineer was part of the forum and could extrude out the perfect foam. image.jpg

DavePowers likes this.
  14. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

I'm with you Malukk,.. MPF is what I prefer to use. I built my X-32 Guppy and F-35 V3 with MPF. I was using pink fan fold foam and that works fine. I built the F-18 with FFF and after several years it is still flying. I also built the Alpha Jet MK-2 with pink FFF and it also performed well. FFF's only drawback is that it is a little more brittle and sometimes a bit wavy. One good thing about the Fan Fold Foam is that you can get it almost anywhere, Lowes, Home Depot, Menards etc, virtually any hardware store and it is cheap. So far though, for me anyway, MPF seems to be the best compromise in price and quality.
    With pink FFF you can see some waviness
    In the top of the Alpha Jets wing and the
    F-18. This really does not affect performance it just doesn't look quite as good as MPF but FFF still isn't bad as you can see below:
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    With the MPF used in the Guppy and F-35 below you don't see any of that inconsistency in the material:
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  15. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Ok, great info guys, thanks alot.
    I'm getting some more links together and will be updating the Master Parts List.

Jeriah, malukk and Flybyknight22 like this.
  16. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Kudos Trading for 3mm and 6 mm white and grey Depron in the UK. They have a site on eBay and a warehouse in Nottingham.

DavePowers and Flybyknight22 like this.
  17. Baufritz96

Baufritz96 Ace Pilot

I use some foam called Selitron from local stores in Austria. It's very stiff, but the score-fold technique is a bit hard to execute, what's left of the foam on the edges usually breaks on hard landings. Just reinforce it with tape on both sides or smear a bit of hot glue on them.

DavePowers likes this.
  18. Argonath

Argonath Top Gun

MPF, Selitron, gatorfoam and a few others are all in the same family of product, typically used for the same things. The problem is if you're in an area that doesn't use any of those product commercially, it's not readily available unfortunately.

DavePowers likes this.
  19. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

I would like to try Depron on a build sometime because I keep hearing that it is the best. It definitely looks good but is a bit pricey compared to MPF. Maybe I could trade a full box of MPF with somebody who has access to cheaper Depron???? :rolleyes:

DavePowers likes this.
  20. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

here in the uk i use depron foam.com they seem good to me but its the only place ive used.that reminds me i need to order some more,they also stock 3m 77 spray glue as i cant seem to find it any where else.

Jeriah, bogusbandit56 and DavePowers like this.