what does expo and dual rates do?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by mr123hobbit, Oct 17, 2011.

1. mr123hobbit

mr123hobbit Cadet

please help!
    I have serched everywere and cant find any thing about dual rates and expo that an 11yr old
    can understand! Could somebody please give me a simple ancer of what it does?
    Thanks,
    THE HOBBIT.
    oh yeah does anyone no if the spektrum dx6i has expo,thanks

2. Dual rates is a switch assigned to a control so when you flip it, you get more/less throw from your servo (to make it more/less touchy in flight)]

Expo changes the servo travel from linear to exponential, so instead of the servo moving in a perfect line relative to the stick inputs, it moves in a positive or negative curve (depending if you do positive or negative expo)

expo 2.JPG

3. Flightman

Flightman Ace Pilot

Futaba radios you need +Expo%
    Spectrum radios you use -Expo%
    Expo will make scale planes look like they fly more scale.
    Expo will make an 11 yr. old look like an expert when flying.

4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Rcjetflyer is right. The f117 is a perfect example of when to use it. The plane is very touchy so when you move the stick too much (like many new fliers do) the plane will roll or pitch too quickly or too much causing a loss of control. So, I set the dual rate switch so that when I flip it the elevons move only 50% of normal. Therefore you cannot overreact and over fly the plane. So, that is a dual rate. 100 % throws when the d/r switch is off, 50% throws when it is on. You can make it 60%, 20%, whatever you want until you are comfortable.
    Expo goes along with that. A lot of new fliers are very choppy in their flying. Lots of up and down, side to side, erratic flying until their fine motor reflexes are developed. If you set expos higher ( or on some radios you turn down expos and set them lower) then you can smooth out your flying because the elevons move at a slower rate than your fingers. A 50% expo means that, for the first 50% of stick movement, the control surfaces move at a reduced rate. after the 50% the control surface moves normally. So the plane flies less erratically. On the F117 the expos keep the plane flying smoothly- like butter. Dual rates and expos are on the same switch so when you program one, you can also program the other. Some planes do not need any dual rates or expo because they ract more slowly to input. Some are very twitchy (ahem, j20, ahem) so you need lots.

5. GREAT explanation

6. mr123hobbit

mr123hobbit Cadet

well i am already a expert hehe
    just kidding

7. mr123hobbit

mr123hobbit Cadet

well i am already a expert hehe
    just kidding

8. mr123hobbit

mr123hobbit Cadet

thanks now i understand what expo and dual rate do
    now my final qeustion
    does the dx6i have expo (i no it has dual rate)
    thank you all so much for your help
    THE HOBBIT

9. Threedee

Threedee Cadet

Expo is located in the dual rates section