Tiny Whoop (mini FPV Quads) Discussion

Discussion in 'Quadcopters' started by JettaManDan, Jul 31, 2018.

1. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

Hey guys. Just throwing up this thread as a place holder. I will be discussing my experiences with the Tiny Whoops i've built and flown. And will be looking for you guys to contribute your builds and success and failure stories!

I own 3 right now. One Inductrix i've converted, and 2 E010's....Both i've modified and have had various rates of success with.

Please...add anything you wish now. I will be contributing later on this week and weekend.

Dan

malukk, andy_downs and Wildthing like this.
  2. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I had to google Tiny Whoops as I thought it was one of those moments when you thought you were gonna fart, only to find out it was something a little more serious.
    With so many cheap drones on the market what are the advatages of building a TW.
    I`m afraid I know very little about multirotors as I have not really had much interest in them.

malukk, andy_downs and Newt like this.
  3. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

It's 65mm small.
    Has inductrix type prop guards.
    Has brushed motors.
    Has an FPV cam.
    A zippy little guy that is real handful flying inside the house and it flys surprisingly well outdoors. I haven't spent much time with this one yet and I bought it to play with when the weather turns on us again.

First thing I had to do was flash it up in betaflight. It just wouldn't fly right out of the box and flashing it seemed to suddenly wake things up.

2018073122092600.jpg

malukk, bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.
  4. JettaManDan

Good questions!

Well first..i love (like most of us) to build stuff myself. Absolutely there are TONS of drones on the market. Some very cheap with good capabilities. But the idea is that you can put together a very small..agile..tough and fun indoor drone to do FPV...and take video and have a bunch of fun. The "Tiny Whoop" market is huge...and people are doing crazy stuff with them...the indoor drone racing leagues are an offshoot of these.

So a little background.....what started all this? The blade Inductrix is generally agreed on as the start of all of this. Horizon hobby released this little guy a bunch of years ago.

Link...

www.horizonhobby.com/BLH8780?KPID=BLH8780&CAWELAID=320011980000239661&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=37619207031&CATCI=pla-473170253656&gclid=CjwKCAjwtIXbBRBhEiwAWV-5nqPvU32KUb5HO1NX8gB4WJSJ8-XZ1vE_Lj_6BEQoMWvNGUuLQU4TMBoCUQ4QAvD_BwE

they are $40 now..but $50 when i bought mine. For that price you get a BnF micro drone running off the common 150mah 1s lipos used in the micro helicopters and drones like the Nano Qx. It is lightweight...super stable and fun to fly around indoors. It can go outdoors but only in about zero wind. You got 3 minutes of fun out of it. And with the ducts around the props you could bump into stuff and not hurt it easily (or yourself lol)

Then..with the advent of the cheap micro FPV cams....someone had the bright idea to stick one of those cams on top of an inductrix...and Tiny Whooping was born! Now it is a HUGE industry..and pretty much any drone you buy these days has a camera on it...and a lot are coming with their own FPV monitor attached to the transmitter.

Ok..so back to the inductrix. So the inductrix had the advantage over other small drones as being a little tougher and being able to handle the weighty of a cheap but semi-decent FPV cam. 3d printed mounts became available quickly..and better and cheaper cams were released fast. Then came motor upgrades...larger batteries and better connectors. All to improve flight times. Then the inevitable control board updates...stand alone ones and more. There is a great site here in the US that sells all kinds of parts to build your own..or upgrade..or even buy one built outright... it is www.tinywhoop.com

OK...WHEW! Back to me. So i got my inductrix. Flew it a few times...had fun. And then looked to upgrade. I bought a 200mw FPV cam from banggood i think. It was $30 at the time. I then had the bright idea to add a 2nd connector to Y off the power cable and run the camera. This way i could remove the camera when i wanted and still not have it wired full time. A $3 camera mount again off of bangoogd.com and i was cookin! Mounted the mount..stuck the cam on there held in with some rubber bands...and hooked up the extra Y harness i made...and flew it! Yes i had a set of goggles already so i didn't need to buy those. And...it was FUN! Except the power. The stock motors were not up to the added weight of the cam and the larger lipos i had (did i mention i bought 205 mah lipos too?) ;) So flight time dropped from about 4 minutes with just the stock setup...to close to 2 minutes max with the cam and extra big battery. SO.....next step was motors. I bought a set of extra powerful motors (special sauce they are called) and swapped those in. Tiny tiny power wires on those..and you pull the stock motors and solder the power wires to the board. Where are my glasses!!! lol

Then..finally my setup was done (sort of) With the powerful motors i had plenty of power to lift the drone and the camera and have some fun. Flight time went back up to a bit over 3 minutes...and it was faster by a bunch. But fast + indoors + more ballsy flying ='s crashes! And quickly i broke the frame..one of the ducts legs snapped...(a common problem). Frames are not expensive....but i didn't want to swap the whole deal over. So i found a carbon brace on ebay for about $8..just slips over the motor pods..and i was fixed. Still running that way today..broken duct leg and all.

So all in... $50 for drone....$30 for camera (now they are about $18)...$3 for brace....$7 for bigger lipo....$8 for bag of extra micro power connectors....$8 for brace....and $20 for upgraded motors. About $126 invested. And i have now flown in probably 100 times and it flys great. Again..i had a set of goggles already..and ended up with a FPV monitor ground station with DVR capability. So i'm able to record the video that I see in the goggles.

Here is a quick vid i recorded around my buddies apartment to show you what you can expect to see..

Next post will be about the cheaper E010's I have....and my journey with them!

Dan

5. Kiko12

Kiko12 Ace Pilot

It's to tiny :)

malukk and bogusbandit56 like this.
  6. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Thanks for the explanation Dan, it looks great fun.
    My interest in quads have been piqued just recently after finding a 654 million year old fossil in Charnwood where I live. Most of the sites of these rare fossils have been fenced off and a £20,000 fine imposed on people touching anything in the area due to people damaging them trying to remove them.
    I was thinking with an fpv drone they could be hunted without trespassing.
    This is a camera phone picture taken of the Charniodiscus Concentricus fossil, there are more fossils further up the rock face but like I said no touching or climbing.
    Maybe flying a drone from outside the exclusion zone could reveal more pictures without getting into serious trouble.

Attached Files:

Wildthing likes this.
  7. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Fantastic scenery and flying Kiko.
    Where are the mountains?

andy_downs likes this.
  8. JettaManDan

Alright....so Part 2 of my Tiny Whoop Adventure!

So..you don't have/want to spend $100+ on one of these guys by iteself and buy an inductrix and mod it. So what do you do now? Well...unlike when i started this..there are now a lot more choices. Even horizon has discounted their now fully BnF inductrix for about $70. But say you want to tinker and do this on the cheap...what options are there? Well....the E010 or it's derivatives. Banggood and Tmart and a ton others sell a Inductrix clone...BUT...it is a Fully RTF drone with it's own tiny transmitter. And..on sale..you can find them for literally $12. Here is a link...

www.banggood.com/Eachine-E010-Mini-2_4G-4CH-6-Axis-Headless-Mode-RC-Quadcopter-RTF-p-1066972.html?gmcCountry=US&currency=USD&createTmp=1&cur_warehouse=CN&ID=4248247947&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_ods&utm_content=heath&utm_campaign=pla-quad-us-pc&gclid=CjwKCAjwtIXbBRBhEiwAWV-5ntMcWfVO41QDSGCOzn_l7d5MnBJZhAomcs8-6GAoAxQMfaL-5pTG-RoCFroQAvD_BwE

12! :-O

So you have the whole package there...quad and battery and charger and transmitter. Then..all you need is a camera mount..and a camera...and some tiny wiring skills...

mount... www.banggood.com/Camera-Frame-Mount-For-Eachine-TX03-FPV-Camera-E010-E010C-E010S-Blade-Inductrix-Tiny-Whoop-p-1116155.html?rmmds=search

camera.... https://www.banggood.com/Super-Mini...-p-1095683.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

so....$12....$3....$23.....$38 shipped and you got the whole deal!

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!! lol

Banggood decided to get in on this and make their own fully RTF package now...

check this out...

https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-E0...hoCZvUQAvD_BwE&ID=4686142482&cur_warehouse=CN

$36....wow!

So...before that E010C came out....i bought the parts and made my own. I then added a connector again for a Y harness...and then tinywhoop.com has a rubber insert to hold the larger batteries. My E010 does pretty well. Again the motors are not hugely powerful..but for $38 shipped to build....i was not unhappy at all. I then bought one of the fully built ones for $36..and as expected they fly almost identical. If you want better camera performance it's worth building your own and getting a camera that will transmit at 50mw or more...but it will sap the flight battery sooner of course.

The knockoff Inductrix's have one big advantage over the Blade version. Toughness. the frames are stronger....i've not broken one yet. And i have spare frames.

The best thing is newbies...you can have a rig for $37...plus...basic goggles go on sale all the time..i got a set from HobbyKing last year for $20....so $57 total..plus a lipo for the goggles and you can have a complete (non DVR) FPV indoor rig for under $80...micro lipos are dirt cheap too...

for the FPV Newbie...this is a pretty awesome deal..and you can upgrade stuff and have more fun.

So my total for 3 tiny whoops ready to fly is about $200. I bought some good extended lipos for them...another about $40 invested. And now i can have 3 people at once whooping it up around my house on a day indoors. Good times.

Pics to follow and more links if anyone needs them.

Dan

9. JettaManDan

tons of choices out there now. Until i got into buying a house and some other life changes i was thinking of a Mavic or something for exploration. $1000 is a bit much but the abilities are great. There are great camera quads out there ot do exactly what you want for probably $200 these days. These micro quads i'm talking about here are really for indoors only...but you can buy or build almost anything these days.

bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.
  10. I have 2 E010, upgraded the motors and bought the package of 5 extra batteries and I think I spent about $90.00 CA total and with the motor upgrade it goes like stink. Still not good enough for outside if there is any wind but tons of fun inside.

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  11. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Thanks Dan. My house is too small for flying anything bigger than a house fly.
    I did have a little Ha mini quad but it got broke bouncing off the walls:D
    A bigger drone would be needed for fossil hunting but I`m not going to fork out for a whim that may only last a few weeks.:)
    For folk with bigger houses these seem like great fun, but if you smoke make sure to empty the ashtrays before you fly:D

andy_downs and Wildthing like this.
  12. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

13. JettaManDan

i've flown mine outside but as soon as any wind over 3mph crops up it's a losing battle....

Wildthing likes this.
  14. JettaManDan

it will probably fly fine..but...the wifi only to a phone app is dicey at best. Not seen a good one yet except for a Mavic or Phantom app one. And those are much higher level signals. Your range to the phone is usually not far at all and line of sight at best. Plus the latency means you are a second or 2 behind what it is actually doing. For $50...it's worth a shot. Just wouldn't be too disappointed if it doesn't look great.

Wildthing likes this.
  15. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I have had a look on youtube and one guy recons the visious battle shark is better.
    I am sure nothing under a grand would be good enough for fossil hunting but I may risk £35.00 on a quad for landscapes.

Wildthing likes this.
  16. thunder

thunder Top Gun

When I read the Tiny Whoops I actually thought it was a small aeroplane and as I don't have any small planes I decided not to comment lol but after reading BBs comment I now know that you mean mini quads/drones. I don't have any mini multis but I do build my own LARGE multis,my current biggest Vtail quad is 3x3 ft and has a wooden frame. I am also getting to grips with FPV on a large tricopter and a smaller vtail quad,both have wooden frames. cheers

Attached Files:

Wildthing likes this.
  17. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Hi Tony,
    I`ve not had much interest in planes just lately so I may dig that trike out the draw tomorrow and give it a go.

18. thunder

thunder Top Gun

Hi Ian,my interest regarding planes also went a bit downhill when I lost my Twinstar 2 in a bloody tree,,60 ft up lol,,i could not find anybody who I knew who was willing to climb the tree and I am to old for stuff like that so I had to pay a tree surgeon 30 quid to go get it,,ha. I am considering getting my cannibalised [ Fortis airframes ] Brawler tricopter back in the air,it is small but not as small as the ones mentioned above.When you say Trike,do you mean a tricopter ?

Wildthing likes this.
  19. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Yes trike opter:D

Wildthing likes this.
  20. JettaManDan

i should mod the thread title to say micro quads lol