The best transmitter?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Jeriah, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

I have heard many good things about OpenTX and the Taranis radio. It sounds like a very configurable radio. I would like to have one to play with the software/firmware.

With DeviationX installed, the DEVO is a
    "Multi-Protocol" radio that runs a number of different protocols like DSM2 and DSMX right out of the box along with its own native protocol without any addition of hardware.

The Deviation software in the Devo radio talks directly to the chips versus using PPM as appears to be the case for OpenTX.

OpenTX sounds interesting.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  2. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

3. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

The Best Transmitter?
    That seems hard to quantify.

Truth is, I'm not sure what the absolute best, guaranteed not to rust, bust or collect dust, good for weeks and weeks with no leaks or squeaks, all time Best dang goodin is.

That's probably an open question best clarified as "Best transmitter for what?"

It's probably useful to also take into consideration the receiver that one will use with a given TX because they are not created equal from model to model either.

A Spektrum 5 or 6 channel radio might be a decent beginners first radio but they definitely are not the best especially in their price range.

If you need more than 6 channels + multiple protocol support other than DSMX/DSM2, then the Spectrum 5-6 chnl radio is absolutely a no go.

If you need the most radio obtainable for the least amount of money, then again you may be talking about something else other than a Spektrum.

If you need the absolutely most configurable, flexible radio possible, again you are probably not talking about a Spektrum.

The best radio with cost being no hinderance in its purchase, again is another radio altogether.

If one thinks they need a Spektrum 5-6 Chnl radio then no problem, it should be fine depending on your defined need but "The Best", it may not be.

4. jimmyp51d

jimmyp51d Rookie

5. jimmyp51d

jimmyp51d Rookie

6. jimmyp51d

jimmyp51d Rookie

The above links are my favorite transmitters will do wireless training also which I use to teach my younger son to fly so far they have been rock solid. I do have a couple of friends that use the DX-9 that have been good also.

7. rodrigo

rodrigo Top Gun

The original question is 3 years okd and lot of things are passed... and it referred to 6ch only...
    On 3 years appears lot of options from the big brands, new ones ( tactic, frsky to said good produfts), more channels for the same price and a lot of extras...
    But for sure there are one radio for each one... just define budget to limit your choices.
    Right now the best value to functionality ratio is Frsky TaranisD:
    -opentx it has a endless functionality. .. just Find COMPANION X software and get a little taste of the capability of this software.. its not for all for sure
    - good quality built, not as good of the spektrum or futaba but near.. lot better than flysky, turnigy or walkera
    -easy expandable channels from 8 to16 to 32
    -good support on US thanks to aloft hobbies. Good support on europe too
    -spare parts to all DIY guys
    -rock solid transmition and excellent range.. near 2, 5km on standard rx and x2, 5 on long range rx
    -telemetry out of the box. .. RSSI (signal strength, the most important even for park pilots) enabled in all their telemetry rx at zero bucks more... lot of extra sensor with good resolution and low cost (really low compared with spektrum)...
    At $200 range there are no other radio that offers more.
    In under $200 there are lot of option... 150 to 200 bucks is the most difficult because there are good brands with lot to offer... just use a couple of minutes and read the key part of the manual (wing types, preprogrammed mixes ( hitec allways offer more) , how many free mixes are capable and adignability of switch and knobs and how to configure)... under 100 you are at your own but personally I stay away of the big brands because their logo are more than half of the price and prefer computerized radios over analog...here turnigy and flysky rocks. ..

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Flybyknight22 likes this.