Su-35 V5

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, May 30, 2016.

1. Su-35 Forum 1.png
    Su-35 Forum 2.png
    The Sukhoi Su-35 Flanker’s first flight was in 1998 and it quickly became known for its inherent multirole capabilities, highly modernized avionics, long range endurance, thrust vectoring and streamlined aerodynamic qualities. The aircraft features upgraded and more powerful engines, a radar system that tracks 24 targets simultaneously, and the onboard computers find four different ways to achieve the desired flight control action. So basically, it can do it all!

This “I’m-Fancy-And-Can-Do-It-All” plane has one of the best platforms for stability. So we designed our parkjet version to have the same dogfight maneuverability which makes it the perfect fit for the Trainer / Aerobatic member of the V5 family.

Feature 1: Scale canards to provide extra lift and control. More wing for kite-like flight.

Feature 2: New double foam engine strakes for extra stability in high alpha and wing rock protection.

Feature 3: Turns-On-A-Dime-Like-In-A-Dogfight-Roll-Turn-Loopty-Loop-All-In-One performance in the air. Yup.

Feature 4: Balance with bliss. Excellent electronics compartment space so you can easily balance your CG.

Hey, I got mine! Now how do I set it up?
    BUILD - Simple and easy build. Yes, you really can build this in an afternoon. Scale looks with none of the build complication.
    PARTS - The power systems and build materials we recommend can be found through the links on our Getting Started page.
    INSTRUCTIONS - See Tiled plans for build tips. For more V5 plane basic steps, check out Instruction thread.
    (Photos coming soon).
    CONTROLS - Elevons only works great. Our favorite setup is mechanical 4x4. See the Ebook’s Wiring Diagram chapter for how to.
    POWER - Multiple power systems possible with adjustable motor shims and room in the electronics compartment to balance your CG.

PLEASE NOTE: Our cart software has been updated January 2017.
    This particular product will not appear in your RCPowers “My Downloads” section.
    For faster service, a direct download link will be instantly emailed to you upon purchase.

See Similar Products Here

2. All 3 sets of plans are downloaded and on the smart stick, off to the print shop today.

3. dangermouse650

dangermouse650 Ace Pilot

I have downloaded, but my work schedule and build list have a long way to go...............

4. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

No worries there, Mouse. You're not alone. I wouldn't be able to build anything yet for weeks ahead. Even I had to stop designing an EDF Gripen now.

Spare time has been a luxurious entity for me these days

Sent from my LG-F320K using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  5. XDmToter

XDmToter Ace Pilot

So many planes, so little time.

What is the recommended Trainer these days?

Su-34 V4 Super Trainer

Su-27 V5

Su-35 V5

Or are they all similar enough that it's just a matter of personal taste?

6. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

I have a soft spot for the 34. Built three, crashed em all but taught me a ton. I believe it's Bogusbandit that says every hangar should have one and I agree!

Peter

7. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

I second to you homey

To make fly faster, we can also shorten the height of the nacelles a bit. Will have different characteristics instantly, yet not leaving its good ones. Modded it that way plus KF4 and that bada$$ flew like never before.

lysle42, Skydiver, borg187 and 2 others like this.
  8. XDmToter

XDmToter Ace Pilot

I just remember Dave saying that he Removed the Ailerons and Rudders from his Su-34 V4 because he liked it better on Elevons Only.

That's what I'm looking for.

Does the Su-35 V5 exhibit the same properties? I want one that flies great on elevons only.

Dave?? You out there??

lysle42, Skydiver, Justice and 5 others like this.
  9. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Hey XDmToter! Yeah, I was busy building 3 planes at once here.
    Yes, the Su-35 V5 is the new trainer of the group and does fly with elevons only very well.
    It has the same angled out verticals that the Su-34 V4 has, so it yaw stabilizes itself.
    Also, we found that the canards put quite a bit of drag on the plane (vs not having them) so it slows the plane down a bit and gives it a bit more lift and more forgiving CG. Just nice breathing room to have for an easy flying plane.

10. XDmToter

XDmToter Ace Pilot

Thanks Dave!! Keep up the good work.

lysle42, borg187, Shannon and 3 others like this.
  11. Shannon

Shannon Administrator

Hey guys! Here's our Su-35 V5 progress.

RCPowers V5 Planes_01.jpg
    RCPowers V5 Planes_02.jpg

12. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Hey Shannon. I love seeing the famous "Mig-29 v4 incorporated" elevons on that SU. It makes both better elevon structure and creates efficient airflow. Welldone!

For me, I call it: Elevons PLUS.

13. Shannon

Shannon Administrator

You know your stuff!

Ha! Elevens PLUS... I like it. ;)

14. Jackfronte

Jackfronte Airman

I can only take credit for being the first to ask Dave if there were going to be more new planes after the SU-27 came out! LOL....Well, at least I think I was the first to publish my question hehehe!

But seriously for a moment, I truly believe that parkjet building is going to take over and less and less hobby enthusiasts will buy prefabricated planes as they learn and get their building skills sharpened.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  15. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

I disagree. Just look at all of those over at RCG who only buy ARF, BNF and RTF's and have zero interest in building. In fact, I met a guy at my flying field, as I am learning, and he came and introduced himself. he has been in the hobby for about 8 years. He loves showing me his planes and his flying skills. And he just keeps pulling out one Pre-fabbed plane after another. When I started showing him my scratchbuilds, he was VERY impressed. When he flew them, he was even more impressed.

Last time out I asked him, after flying my planes, any interest in building? He said "Nope None. I like my purchased planes, and my heli's"

I don't think any area of this hobby is going to kill another area, While popularity of one aspect may rise, there are just too many different people, with different likes in this hobby. And its all good that way.

That being said, I am ADDICTED to building and always will. In fact, when I look at the hobby sites, the only planes that attract me are the gliders, because those style gliders I don't really find scratchbuild plans for. But when I look at all of the other planes, and their price tags, I say to myself "I would really rather just build a plane like that". :)

16. XDmToter

XDmToter Ace Pilot

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  17. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

Hey thanks, will keep that for reference for later use. As I already have the UMX radian, the HawkSky V2 and the newly purchased HobbyKing Walrus, for now I am good on Gliders. Just was explaining why I tend to buy gliders but build everything else. I will build a glider someday though, and it just may be this one.

Ok, back on track. The SU-35, beings as I got to fly my SU-34 only twice, once crashed because elevons were reversed, then crashed and destroyed when a chain link fenced leaped into the air to intercept her, I really look forward to building this plane. Not sure though if I am starting with this one, or the F-15. hmmmmmmmm

lysle42, bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.