Su-30 V4 “Hovering Parkjet”

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, May 15, 2014.

1. The Su-30 V4 “HOVERING PARKJET”

“BUILT MY CONFIDENCE IN FLYING”
    THE SU-30 V4-THANK YOU- THANK YOU- Dave & Scott. This plane is a DREAM,DREAM, DREAM! WOW! ELEVONS ONLY. I'm the guy who destroyed a BIXLER RTF in 5 flights! Have broken more props and wrecked more home made planes then I or you could count! I have struggled so so much to build a fly an RC plane you have no idea! But from the time I launched it on the maiden-IT BUILT MY CONFIDENCE IN FLYING- IT IS JUST ONE SWEET FLYER-AND IN THE WIND!!! DOUBLE WOW!!! 7 short minute maiden flights to check and recheck the setup and only one pilot small error, 5th flight I caught a strong cross breeze landing and that painters tape and mod podge saved the nose, just reformed it with my hands and back up in the air it went! Thanks for GUYS for all time it took to design them all, It's so much appreciated.-Marair23-HAPPY CUSTOMER
    By marair23 | May 17, 2014 | Full review here

POWER SYSTEM
    Motor:
    ESC:
    Prop:
    Battery:
    Servos:
    Radio:
    2200kv, 30A max
    30A
    6x4 APC
    11.1v, 1600mAh, 20C
    2-6 metal gear
    2.4 GHz 6CH
    SPECIFICATION
    Scale:
    Length:
    Wing Span:
    Wing Area:
    Weight:
    Channels:
    1/19
    42” (106 cm)
    30” (77 cm)
    3.7 sq ft (0.34 sq m)
    16-26 oz (450 - 740 g)
    3-6

Get Started Building

2. F1wanabe gives some really good comentary:

fmt2bx tries high alpha for the first time:

“I really like the lugs to help locate COG”
    Finally completed my SU30 and waited for the wind to drop. Maiden flight was really very smooth with just elevons and rudders. I really like the lugs to help locate COG. One less thing to worry about for the first flight.
    By flightyfishcake | July 20, 2014 | Full review here

“High alpha performed like a dream even in the windy conditions”
    So I have a dozen flights on this airframe, and I lover everyone of them. This aircraft just floats through the sky, and as Dave says acts almost like a kite in the wind. I have yet to fly it in calm winds which is where I think I can get it to hover, but in strong winds the high alpha is great. I love to go into a loop, cut the throttle at the top, bring it straight down until I am low to the ground and then pull back on the stick, and just watch it float a few above the ground. The build process is super easy, the plans are well laid out and the instructions are very informative. The CG tabs are great especially when I switch from a 2S to a 3S setup. I still am debating on putting a gyro on this aircraft but I know it would help with wing rock on windy days. Inverted flight is great, and the roll rate is more then enough. I have a 4x4 setup (accidentally cut ailerons and felt committed to adding servos to them). I have the elevons set at 100% for the roll rate and the ailerons are only providing 50-60% of the roll. Full rates and little to no expo is the way to go, especially on elevator and rudders. Again I am super happy with this aircraft and the great designs put forth from RCPOWERS.com.
    By ColoradoFlyer | May 29, 2014 | Full review here

“Very light, precise and nimble all at the same time”
    I'm a very happy SU pilot this morning! I can't compare this V4 to any other versions because there weren't any, but the looks and performance speak for itself! High alpha is great and hover is possible with more practice. The one thing you notice right away is that this is an Su, so the wing loading is super low, the plane is a floater but it is not sloppy like other planes with super low wing loading. It's very light, precise and nimble all at the same time. So, it will accept a variety of power systems from my setup which is a MJV3 on 2 and 3s to the prop drive 2700 on 4s! The design not only looks great but also flies great! The redesigned control surfaces really jump out at you. I have 150 percent throws with no expo and it is very tame...I didn't miss the KF airfoil at all on this. Stability was good all around without it! Very nice and light without KF! But wow, glad to see an RCPowers SU!
    By F1wanabe | May 13, 2014 | Full review here

“Flies SUPER and lets you learn at the same time”
    I took the su-30 out again today. What fun for a beginner to be able to fly and have time to recover when a pilot error occurs. I find that a lot of guys who fly, (at least in my area) don't have to much of an interest in helping newbies get up and going. So this is a plane that flies SUPER and lets you learn at the same time is just WOW.
    Thanks for all you do!
    By marair23 | May 18, 2014 | Full review here

3. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Well, I need to move the motor back a few inches even on this one...

4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Oh, I see. Yes, you should just do the su34 since the elevon design here on the su30 would not be 6s rated, haha. They are huge! But the 34 elevons are like the mig which are hinged in the front.

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

Airflow likes this.
  6. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Ha ;) Well Greg, the reason I have to move the motor, is that I probably will use the 3648 on all V4's Otherwise, they will be too nose heavy ...! I had to do it on my MiG V3. But maybe I will run a twin setup 2x Turnigy 2200KV motor on 4s TGS 6x3 R and L rotation. On the Su-34. Or maybe make the SU-34 at 80%, with a single 3648 Maybe that's what you mean? :)

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Yes, that's it! The motor on the su34 plan is already pushed back compared to the su30 and the su34 elevons would be better able to hold up to the thrust and speed

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

RCJohnnyB, RobDavis and Airflow like this.
  8. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

This may be a redundant question but...you are staying with elevons and rudder only for "best result" on both the SU v4's correct?

Reason i ask is i become a creature of my own habits after a fashion and didn't want to get too cut happy going forward.

9. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

I will only run with rudder elevons and flaps/spoilers not! spoilerons/flaperons, I have found out that this configuration works best for stability at slow speed HA, at least for my 40 oz HVY MiG v3. The same setup I run on my F-18 V3.

10. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

After a couple more flights, I am inclined to add ailerons to the mix, but on the 2x4 and only at 25 percent or so throw on the ailerons rather than 50 as is my usual. I like the spoileron "cruise control" effects especially with the efficiency built into the ailerons on the v4's. This would only add a couple grams of weight. But I definitely need to get a calm wind flight in first!

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

RCJohnnyB, gtzero22 and RobDavis like this.
  11. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Ah..then you're leaning more toward flaps then...as in not across the entire wing. Something on the order of what sgmoron was doing with aileron?

I'm with you on the mix..i label it "smooth". Mix about 50 to 80 % rudder into the aileron. It gives a very smooth launch and control and/or speed pass control. Then drop the mix when i want to thrash it around.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
    F1wanabe likes this.
  12. Eldorado4

Eldorado4 Airman

I load up the RCPOWERS page and still only comes up with the V3 Package, where is everyone getting the V4 ?

DatoAliffAlex likes this.
  13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

No, you need the whole surface across the wing. Inboard control surface don't work so well for low and slow and high alpha. If you read the description in the f18 v4 Dave explains it well. The air is fed to the wingtip and makes it stall proof. Stopping short of the wing tip negates this!

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

RCJohnnyB and TomMonton like this.
  14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Maybe I should post some pictures of my su30 V4 Build. I made a separate thread but now that this one is up....
    The cutting was very straight forward and the number of pieces isn't bad at all! Pretty efficient use of Foam especially with one piece stabilizer and nacelle assemblies.
    [​IMG]
    Wing is a typical wing. One 3mm cf rod in the stock location.
    Nose section wraps around the former...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Carefully slide nose onto the wing:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nacelles, glue nose:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Battery hatch, motor mount glued in:
    [​IMG]
    Wow! Nice looking plane!
    [​IMG]
    Rudder and elevon servos :
    [​IMG]

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Since weather was bad, I decided to break my habit of not maidening painted planes. After a base coat of aircraft Grey paint, my beautiful wife actually helped me tape off the camo pattern on the plane. Then sprayed the yellow accents:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

17. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Nice Greg :)

18. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Oh...you mean read something?! ..lol

I only asked because it always a kick to see what different directions some of these mods go. I just didn't want to miss anything

19. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Is that genuine Depron Greg? or the other thing " just look like Depron " kind of ...

20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Flybyknight22 and XDmToter like this.