Seaplanes ... rock

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by TomMonton, Nov 28, 2015.

1. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Taking another side step from Parkjets I've always admired what you could do with a simple seaplane. Winter is settling in and that means new things like ... rain .. wind .. snow .. ice .. cold (all the time) and I need something to entertain myself and a reason to want to even go outdoors. :D

I've played with the Polaris, I tried the Hydro and this time settled my fancy onto the Mako. A group called the West Michigan Park Flyers detailed the design and I just couldn't resist giving it a try. It just looks so cool.

Mako.jpg

It reminds me of a catamaran in some way and this is as far as I've gotten over the holiday.

20151126_092926.jpg 20151127_211623.jpg 20151127_221452.jpg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  2. Very Nice Tom! This plane has been sitting on my to-build list for a very long time now... I don't know when but I will be building this plane sometime soon... Nice work!

bimoadiprakoso and TomMonton like this.
  3. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Ha. ..and here I waiting, thinking, yeah malukk had already built this stupid thing ... I just know it"

I got the jump on you finally

Shaping the floats were a little tedious but the rest of it is quite simple.

bimoadiprakoso and malukk like this.
  4. Haha... Yes, you are ahead of me and its funny we are eyeing the same planes for projects (lil' ripper, cargo and now this)...
    I haven't built this plane yet but have flown it before - one of my friends at my club has this and it is very good!
    Just cruising this on grass itself is so much fun... Have to try this on water given these guys have some good water proofing for floats... Are you planning on doing that?

hmmm.... :rolleyes: which plane are we thinking of next? :rolleyes: :p :D

bimoadiprakoso and TomMonton like this.
  5. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Yes. .I'll do some basic water proofing. The motor and servos will remain default is all.

I did use depron rather than mpf for a little tighter structure. Depron is also far less absorbent than mpf.

bimoadiprakoso and malukk like this.
  6. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

I've be n looking at it as well. Too many builds to do and too little time. Need to get rid of my day job.

bimoadiprakoso, Newt and malukk like this.
  7. csitas

csitas Ace Pilot

Tom , I never had it on water but, it sure is fun in the snow.You can just run around or --take off.

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  8. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I have the frame done already. A little more finish sanding and I'm ready for paint.

uploadfromtaptalk1448772696851.jpg

9. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Very cool. .. did you add any down tilt to the motor mount ? Most everything I've seen is at a horizontal plane.

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  10. Shannon

Shannon Administrator

This is my favorite kind of plane... it's so efficient to get to fly in any kind of environment. Looking forward to see how you paint her.

11. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

I've been flying the "slow boat" at the lake and it's a bunch of fun. Last time out something happened and I let the magic smoke out of the motor. Haven't fixed it yet. But it is a must to have something for water, snow or wherever.

TomMonton and malukk like this.
  12. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I had built the Mermaid. Other being a very unusual looking plane it really didn't fly that well. It was about as eventful as flying a mailbox.

It did however perform great in water and snow. I played with it last winter in the snow and hadn't touched it at all since then.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  13. csitas

csitas Ace Pilot

Tom ,I ran mine straight out . Seemed to be fine.You know some of this motor stuff is influenced by how the build turns out. Things can look ta ta but be out of wack very easily.

TomMonton likes this.
  14. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Gotcha. ..thank you

15. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

The "Slow Boat" does fly very slow which I like sometimes but looks like the Mako will be a bit of a rocket which I also like sometimes. Maybe I will have one done for next summer so I can go fast and slow.

TomMonton likes this.
  16. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I hear ya. .. I'm still trying to work something out in my head. It's "too shapey".

I keep coming back to simpler is better.

17. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

ugh..i wanted to build this too! lol

18. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

...you know you've got enough foam.

19. lfrichar

lfrichar Rookie

I continue to enjoy my oversized Aqua Cat which I call the Aqua Bat. You can see the size difference and the wing size difference between the original size and oversized. Seaplanes are a blast. IMG_20140420_141722.jpg P2230009.JPG

20. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Nice and yes. . I still have this one on my short list. The xl is impressive.

I like your lines and markings...nicely done.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    malukk and lfrichar like this.