RIAT 2018

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Sterling101, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Spent the day with the big stuff yesterday at the Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford.
    Expected this to be a pretty good year being as it's the RAF's centenary but I was blown away with the amount of displays and static stuff there this year!

Now feel like I need a week off to recover from the 30C temps and bright sun all day!

Managed a few shots with the camera (around 1400, culled down to 400!) so if you fancy a look you can find the online album here..

https://www.irista.com/gallery/phx1mdyxask3

Once very unexpected visitor was a B2-A Spirit which had come over from the US on a round trip for the one fly past!

2. Nice pictures :)

Sterling101 likes this.
  3. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Would have been even nicer if I wasn't fighting with dust getting on the lens and being a pain each time I swapped lenses over all day from it being so dry! Thankfully it didn't spoil the photos too much :)

Wildthing likes this.
  4. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Nice! I like that Mustang!

Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  5. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Super photo`s.
    It`s been far too hot recently. I reckon all that moaning we did about the rain for six months may not have landed on deaf ears.
    I`ve had no grass to mow for a month.
    I am looking forward to some rain and cooler weather, I didn`t go out until 8pm this evening to do some flying because of the heat.

Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  6. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

I've spent the day relaxing today. Was a long day and pretty much relentless heat too.
    I did contemplate flying this evening but I'm so worn out I decided to just put my feet up instead!

It's getting awfully close to being like the Summer of 1976, just without the snow in June this time...

7. paulh998

paulh998 Ace Pilot

Lovely pics from RIAT, happy birthday RAF. Looks like the Red Arrows got the smoke in the correct jets unlike our French counterparts at Bastille day, whoops
    whoops.jpeg

8. thunder

thunder Top Gun

Very nice photos Sterling101,you got to see the red arrows and today they did a practice display over my village and raf Cranwell,i dobt envy you putting up with the crazy sun lol. You mentioned the summer of 76,well I was an 18 year old brickys labourer at that time but I don't remember the snow in june of 76.

Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  9. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Actually the snow was in June 75. I just looked it up as I remembered it being the same year but it wasn't!
    Definitely not as bad as we had with the stand pipes and water bowsers like we had in 76. In fact I'm surprised there's no hosepipe ban yet!

thunder likes this.
  10. thunder

thunder Top Gun

The hosepipe has just today been announced lol back then in 76 I was working in the heat with a welsh bricklayer building a security wall around a large house,and now I cant cope with the heat long enough to go flying so at the moment I am doing it in the evenings.What did you think to the F35 display at RIAT ? And I have yet to see a [ stealth ] external fuel tank.

11. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Dave (delayed and very expensive) the F35 was ok but it's no harrier!
    New bae tempest looks much more interesting :)

thunder likes this.
  12. thunder

thunder Top Gun

LOL When the F35 is in VTOL mode and the rear nozzle is facing down it looks like the jet is about to have a [ crap ] it does appear to outperform the harrier on paper but I personally am just not impressed with the stealth look on any jet but I bet the pilots appreciate stealth when they are on a mission.The first time I saw the bae tempest it was upside down on a trailer and I thought it was bae pulling our leg lol

Sterling101 likes this.