Replace ink jet cartridge`s or buy a new cheap printer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by bogusbandit56, Jun 6, 2018.

1. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Hi, You all know how expensive it is to buy new ink jet cartridges. They cost from £10.00 upwards.
    I have tried the remanufactured cheap ones from ebay but they don`t work because of the chip.
    So my question is do I replace the cartridges which will cost around £40.00 or buy a cheap printer for £24.99.
    This latter option is an earth killer, packaging and getting rid of the old printer.
    Printer manufacturers are producing cartridges for around.38 cents so the profit they make on replacements is daylight robbery.
    I recently bought a new Epson printer and I have already replaced the black cartridge.
    I have gone to print some more plans and the printer won`t allow me use the device because it is claiming to be out of cyan ink.
    I don`t need the blue to print a black and white plan.
    This really pisses me off as the new cartridge cost around £14.99.
    What are your thoughts?
    Oh yeah before you say Staples, I have costed the print shop option and it is £25.00 per aeroplane plan.

F1wanabe and Wildthing like this.
  2. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

On our HP Printer I've started using some cheap ones from Amazon that are guaranteed compatible. So far so good and had no problems as yet.
    For plan printing though I use my old laser printer - fast and cheap and seems to be holding up well to the abuse it's had over the past ten years or more. Can't beat the old tech for just keeping working!

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  3. If it is $15.00 cheaper to buy a whole new printer I would be on it in a heart beat.

Sterling101 and bogusbandit56 like this.
  4. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I could take the cartridges out and sell the printers on ebay cheap, then I wouldn`t have the hassle of getting rid of all the packaging:)

Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  5. Nobody will pay you anything for them when they can go out and buy a complete one for a couple dollars more.

Sterling101 likes this.
  6. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Somebody would buy a new printer for £10.00:)

Sterling101, Wildthing and F1wanabe like this.
  7. Not after they do their homework and find out what the cartridges are worth to buy separately . ;) That is if they do their homework. :D

Sterling101 likes this.
  8. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

A cheap laser printer would be my recommendation if you don't need colour very often.
    As you I was pissed of by jet ink printer costs, forgot them, never missed them.
    If I need a colour print, I go to a print shop.
    After finishing toner cartridge use refurbished ones, nothing is cheaper.

Cheers.

9. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Thanks Luis, I will look into this option.

trying2fly, Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  10. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

new printer,bought a cannon printer a few months back £22 much cheaper than cartridges.although there must come a time to re think when your cuboards over flowing with printers

11. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I agree and my house seems to be shrinking with all these models, no cupboard space left:D
    £ 22.00 is a good price:) Definitely cheaper than buying new OEM cartridges.
    I went on line and bought 4 pirate cartridges for around £12.99, I just hope these will work. The last ones didnt`.

andy_downs, Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  12. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Well bugger me, I have just been looking at laser printers and I could have saved myself a fortune over the years for printing plans. Around £40.00 for the printer and replacement toner £24.00 for 1,800 pages.

andy_downs, Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  13. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

I think I'm on to my third toner cartridge in 12 years of having my printer. And it started life as my office printer doing invoices etc when I had my own business.
    No idea how many pages in total it's done but it's worked hard for a good old time and still keeps coming back for more :)
    I think when I bought it the printer was about £90 and the toner cartridges are just over £20 a time but it works out so much cheaper than inkjet. Also means I don't wince if I get a load of scrap paper :D

Wildthing and bogusbandit56 like this.
  14. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I`ve got through about 4 printers in the last 5 years. I wish I had known the difference between the two types as I would have bought the Laser printer to start with.

Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  15. XDmToter

XDmToter Ace Pilot

What most Inkjet manufacturers don't tell you is that those ink cartridges that come in the box with your new printer are only "Sample" cartridges. They are often not full. This is especially true of the super-cheap, what I call "Disposable" inkjet printers on the market these days.

So, while it may seem like a better deal to just go out and buy a new printer instead of buying replacement cartridges, you have to consider the cost per page, when you only get 25% of the capacity out of the cartridges that come with the printer.

16. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I have also heard of the sample cartridge, but I think it is more than 25%, I suppose it differs from each maker.
    Anyhoo it seems the laser is the best option. If I were building like I used to 4 years ago I would buy a Laser but I have slowed down a lot as my flying skills have got better.
    It costs around 40 quid to replace all the cartridges so 25 quid on a short ink printer might still be a cheap option:D

Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  17. Well probably 8 to 10 years ago I bought a color laser printer, fairly large one. The prints are so much nicer then the inkjet ones but initial cost is usually more but price per page is less. My xxl black cartridge does somewhere around 3400 pages and the standard around 1800, price per cartridge from Staples though are $100.00 ea. , pirated or rebuilt ones about $20.00 ea. I think in 8 years I have only bought 2 of the colored cartridges and maybe 4 of the black. 1st time for 1 of each was the Staples or brandname ones, last time was the rebuilt ones and I just installed the colored ones 2 months ago and 2 weeks ago a black one. The rebuilt ones have worked fine but they do seem to dust a little more inside the printer but for me $100.0 for five rebuilt cartridges versus $500.00 is way cheaper then inkjet. Inkjet you seemed to be replacing every month, you always had spares to boot.

Out of the 4 black cartridges I still have a spare to boot.

18. trying2fly

trying2fly Top Gun

I ran into this also and fell for purchasing a Kodax printer because they said the ink was so inexpensive. This ink ran out just as fast as the Epson, Canon, and HP printers. To add insult to injury the Kodak print heads die rapidly. I replaced two of them for 40 bucks/per and they both went out in under 100 copies. Go to the printer for plans or stick with an old laser-jet is my advice. chas

19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I bit the bullet years ago and bought an hp1320 laser printer ($120 or so) which uses toner instead of ink. I was sick of buying ink every month. The toner cartridges are $30- $100 depending on the source and I buy the "X" cartridges for higher capacity and only need to replace them every 2 years or so.

20. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Laser seems to be the way to go:)

F1wanabe, Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.