Portable Runways - for those with lumpy flying fields

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by mastermalpass086, Jan 13, 2019 at 9:59 AM.

1. mastermalpass086

mastermalpass086 Ace Pilot

A couple weeks ago, I attempted to Maiden the Dh.82, due to bumps in the heavily trodden football field, it just nosed-over (and the mini plane had no hope at all), the prop caught the ground and flew off. Even without that problem, all planes that I've attempted to take off have yawed all over the place as each wheel hit a different bump at a different time. Of course, once up to speed, the plane begins to coast over the bumps and control becomes easier, but getting up to that speed can be, well, a bumpy ride!

What if there was a way of getting the plane up to speed before it had to ride those bumps? Introducing HARDBOARD!

[​IMG]

Cheap sheets of flexible wood you just pack into your car (gonna cut these in half, can't be bothered to put the back seats down every time I go flying), and lay'em down to give your labour of love the smooth start it deserves!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would only be willing to call this a 'Take-off Strip', but if you wanna put a tail-hook on your plane and bungee chords half way through it, then Godspeed you naval-nut! :D

2. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

I have a pal who can get me 'conveyor strip' ..... the bulk terminals in ports replace the belts and the old gets sold of as walkways etc. Its steel mesh reinforced so its heavy. I 'acquired' a 20m strip and it weighed nearly 1ton ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately we now cannot use that field and I tried to move the 'belt' but its well and truly 'bedded in' now ...

Nigel

3. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

I know of others that have used medium weight tarpaulins ... with pegs at corners to 'stretch it' and keep it reasonably smooth. The bumps and dips with the tarp are not so 'abrupt' an edge to the wheels then. Its also wider given you more chance to land on it !!

Nigel

4. What about a bungee catapult

5. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Rockets? :D

6. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

You could have gone for a track like the Wright bros. If it had a slot the plane couldn`t wander off.
    Oh by the way I think the Moth wants a touch of toe-in:)
    [​IMG]

7. mastermalpass086

Now these approaches will definitely avoid a lumpy ground! :D

Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  8. mastermalpass086

There is already a touch of Toe-in on it. Could maybe bend a lil' more. If you're wondering about it veering to the right, I think the wind is responsible for it. One way it veered to the right, the other way it shot off to the left, so I move the rudder way over... Then I shot the video, rudder was a bit overkill, so I lessened it... Still a bit right, prolly woulda gone straight had I left the rudder in neutral!

9. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I see:)

Sterling101 and mastermalpass086 like this.