Parkflyers International Sukhoi SU-35 Flanker-E G2: When Looks Could Kill

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bimoadiprakoso, Dec 27, 2016.

1. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

The Sukhoi Su-35 (Russian: Сухой Су-35; NATO reporting name: Flanker-E) is a designation for two separate, heavily upgraded derivatives of the Su-27 'Flanker' jet plane. They are single-seat, twin-engine, supermaneuverable multirole fighters, designed by Sukhoi and built by Komsomolsk-on-Amur Aircraft Production Association (KnAAPO).

The first variant was designed during the 1980s, when Sukhoi sought to upgrade its high-performance Su-27, and was initially known as the Su-27M. Later re-designated Su-35, this derivative incorporated aerodynamic refinements with increased manoeuvrability, enhanced avionics, longer range, and more powerful engines. The first Su-35 prototype, converted from a Su-27, made its maiden flight in June 1988. More than a dozen of these were built, some of which were used by the Russian Knights aerobatic demonstration team. The first Su-35 design was later modified into the Su-37, which possessed thrust vectoring engines and was used as a technology demonstrator. A sole Su-35UB two-seat trainer was built in the late 1990s that strongly resembled the Su-30MK family.

In 2003, Sukhoi embarked on a second modernization of the Su-27 to produce what the company calls a 4++ generation fighter that would bridge the gap between legacy fighters and the upcoming fifth-generation Sukhoi PAK FA. This derivative, while omitting the canards and air brake, incorporates a reinforced airframe, improved avionics and radar, thrust-vectoring engines, and a reduced frontal radar signature. In 2008 the revamped variant, erroneously named the Su-35BM in the media, began its flight test programme that would involve four prototypes, one of which was lost in 2009.

And after we, at Parkflyers International, released the Sukhoi SU-35/37 G1 Parkjet PDF plan last July 2016, we are now even more aggressive to experiment with our design to go towards the goal in our Ultimate Parkjet design journey. We decided to go with the challenge, of having major upgrades on design and scale lines. A while ago, we started to put intensive analysis and possibilities of having mid mounted motor, yet retaining the scale lines of most possible details in our next parkjet release. We then came up to an idea of making the 4th release of the Sukhoi, but now, without the canard. Instead of having some old jets as a reference, we decided to go for the Sukhoi Su-35. It should inherit the DNA of the real Sukhoi lines. And that gave us the biggest challenge of making it to happen.

The addressed goals for this SU-35 G2 are simply inheriting the G1, but now, the biggest challenge is to make it having more scale lines, including the engine thrusters and some other details so it will deserve to be called, a G2.

The most time consuming phase was when we simulated the airflow and streams, using OpenFOAM. We came up with several alternatives for the nacelles and engine shapes to get the closest look possible to the real details, yet have to be easy to construct. Another detail that enriches the look of this SU-35 G2 is the tail boom. And we finally came up with the final design. Below is the final look of the PI Sukhoi SU-35 G2 in computer rendered images.

Final01.jpg
    Final02.jpg
    Final03.jpg
    Final04.jpg
    Final05.jpg

As I wrote this post, Wildthing had started to construct the SU-35 G2, and it's the first prototype of the SU-35 G2 built to stock. I will follow to construct it once the time permits. :)

Another challenging task which usually we let the computer to arrange all panels into a 1m x 1m depron sheet, brought us to 3 sheets of depron. After looking at the results, we had the feeling that it may not be optimum cuts if we have to use 3 sheets as it will leave unused materials. Then we did it manually by placing and adjusting each panel on the same depron sheet size. We finally managed to get all panels into 2 depron sheets, just like our other previous designs. :)

The biggest feature on this SU-35 G2 curvy design, is that we will be needing less to none sandings to have the curvy fuselage surfaces. It's just there from the original design.

More updates to come. :)

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    Airflow, Fz1Fazer, borg187 and 11 others like this.
  2. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Wow. This looks fantastic! I love how scale it looks. The boom and nacelles right to exhaust look excellent.

Peter

Airflow, borg187, EricR and 3 others like this.
  3. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

borg187 and homey666 like this.
  4. TacticalFlight

TacticalFlight Ace Pilot

Yeah!Can't wait to see build pics!The rear deck looks amazing in the renderings Bimo!Is it ready now?lol.

5. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Really appreciate it TF Yes, we were focusing on the rear deck and there were ideas came from BB56 and Wildthing during discussions. Looks like distance can mever be an issue for collaboration

I printed my plan already but have no idea when I'm gonna start cutting the sheets.

The size is slightly bigger than SU-37 G1 to accomodate additional details and have lower wing loading. I also plan to populate this with slightly bigger batt and autopilot system such as APM or Pixhawk.

But no thrust vector on this, because we're confident enough that it will still be nimble after a series of experiments

BTW, the plan is on final check by Wildthing now. Once everything is confirmed, it will be availabe publicly, TF. Just as our other parkjet plans.

A teaser of rear deck of Wildthing's SU-35 G2.

[​IMG]

More will come from his end

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    borg187, malukk, homey666 and 5 others like this.
  6. Such a sweet looking plane, lots of pieces to cut out. :D

2016_1224_092936_001.JPG 2016_1224_173205_001.JPG 2016_1224_173216_002.JPG 2016_1226_091313_001.JPG 2016_1226_203524_001.JPG

7. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Gents from PI -

Very superb scale representation of the Su-35:)

Best of luck in the flight test and validation phase!

Cheers,

Scott

8. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

That tail boom looks so sweet, but it's going to be in the danger zone for low altitude high alpha ;) Might have to install a skid plate.

9. I think it will be a very interesting experiment plus the scale looks are just awesome

10. I was thinking a high alpha maneuver and land it in a gofer hole standing on it's tail . :D :D

11. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Huge and humble appreciation Scott. It's another excitement for us to move forward with the design experiment with this SU-35 G2.

We have been flying all our designs the parkjet ways. So, we thought why not giving it a try to design and fly the scale design way

12. A few more build pictures, no instructions so just have to wing it. ;) no pun intended. :D

2016_1226_232726_001.JPG 2016_1227_074524_001.JPG 2016_1227_074545_002.JPG 2016_1227_094545_001.JPG 2016_1227_110706_001.JPG

13. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Bimo -

EDIT: Sorry, looking for clarification:rolleyes: What do you see as the difference between "flying all our designs the parkjet ways" and "design and fly the scale design way"?

Cheers,

Scott

borg187 and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  14. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Hi Scott. So sorry for bringing any confusions to your end my friend. What I meant was, we will try to fly it like any of flyers who fly their planes like real planes with less fancy stuffs like high alpha, hover, etc. In fact, you are the best example I could find that represent amazing pilots that fly their planes, close to the real ones with such maneuvers like victory rolls, stall turn, speed passes, 8-figure circles, scale landing after chopping the throttle, etc. So that's why it has no TV elevons in this, even the real SU-35 has TV.

We like to learn to fly a plane your way too, Scott When you fly a plane, it will simply make the plane looks better! And that's true. I spoke to Dave748 about this a while ago.

borg187, Wildthing and e3_Scott like this.
  15. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

borg187 and Wildthing like this.
  16. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Bimo -

Ok, thanks, much clearer for me now, perhaps I should have had another cup of coffee before writing my post:)

As always, you are far too kind:rolleyes: There are certain things I'm just not that good at like high alpha, inverted flight, some of the more advanced aerobatics that Sus and Migs are capable of, so I try to "stay within myself" to prevent embarrassing walks of shame:oops: Occasionally I do get a bit "cocky", scare the living daylights out of myself:eek: and realize I have to take very small baby steps when trying to improve certain maneuvers or new aerobatics. The learning curve is at times steep, but still fairly steady.

Trying to fly my planes in a more scale fashion by trying to emulate the turn rates, pitch rates, etc of the real planes was quite a challenge at first, but helped me turn the corner so to speak in improving my skills and confidence. Of course, it meant sitting in front of my computer like a "supersonic nerd":confused: watching lots of flight video of the real planes to get a feel for how my model planes should look as I fly them. But I developed the habit of always trying to fly smooth, scale turns, executing good, smooth rolls and loops, it still requires me to work on my finesse, but also keeps me striving to improve and prevents me getting too lazy and complacent.

It also forced me to consider more seriously how I build with respect to weight, wing loading, thrust to weight, control surface throws, expo, etc to be able to have the right "feel" to execute the maneuvers as I get used to a plane.

You gents at PI do a great job of demonstrating the abilities of your planes, never sell yourselves short:cool: I think it always helps when you design or modify a plane yourself when you go to fly it as you have a better understanding of what you want the plane to do and a better connection with it as you dial it in at the field.:)

Good luck with this latest design, look forward to following along as you gents start putting it through it's paces:)

Cheers,

Scott

borg187, Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  17. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Hi Scott. I feel good now that I no longer bring any confusion to your end

My humble and great appreciation for the kind words too. However, I feel that I'm still miles behind in this hobby compare to you and others who jumped into this hobby much earlier. Learn, learn and learn. That's what I like about this life.

Also, we hope that this design will fly if not as good as out other parkjets, at least as near as possible. We try to place new improvements as we feel that three of us need new excitements of doing research after building dozens of planes already in the last 12 months. BB56 is taking a break on building but his feedbacks were priceless. Wildthing, as you know, he's a building machine where he couldn't leave his hands idle doing nothing me? I'm just a guy with tons of ideas but not having time to make those ideas to come true. So, we consider ourselves as the three stooges of the parkjet hobby lol.

Smooth flying and smooth building! That's it Scott! We hope that this SU-35 G2 can meet those criterias

Again, thanks for the kindest support and your motivation to us, Scott. It surely becomes our fuel to have burning spirit to be creative.

18. There's one in my brain but don't know how to get it out. I look at the pieces and make the brain work, what has to be done first (plus what corners can I skip or improve on) :D The upper fuselage I gambled building it on it's own with #2,3 & 4 supports glue into it not on the wingplate. The critical measurement was the distance between the tabs of #2 & #3 compared to the wingplate. All slid into place like a glove. Your precise plans also help a ton. :)

borg187 and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  19. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

"There are many ways to go to Rome"

Thanks Wildthing. Still, that proves your building skill is exceptional.

20. TacticalFlight

TacticalFlight Ace Pilot

''Send the blueprints to me young Skywalker! You know this is to be true!''-in Darth Vaders voice.

borg187, Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.