Parkflyers International F/A-18 Super Hornet G1R: A New Experience, A New Frontier

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bimoadiprakoso, Oct 17, 2017.

1. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

First of all, we at Parkflyers International would like to extend our special thanks to RCPowers.com (Dave and Shannon) for making the F-18 v3 available for everyone for years. RCPowers upgraded the F-18 v3 and came up with F-18 v4 and offered a new level of excitements in building and flying. They both were definitely good trainer planes among all other RCP Planes and even being considered as smart planes. And we believe that all members of RCP forum here, wouldn't experience the joy, excitements, learning and even getting more friends here, without RCPowers.com. Again, thanks again Dave and Shannon.

FOREWORDS
    The Boeing F/A-18E and F/A-18F Super Hornet are twin-engine carrier-capable multirole fighter aircraft variants based on the McDonnell Douglas F/A-18 Hornet. The F/A-18E single-seat and F/A-18F tandem-seat variants are larger and more advanced derivatives of the F/A-18C and D Hornet. The Super Hornet has an internal 20 mm M61 rotary cannon and can carry air-to-air missiles and air-to-surface weapons. Additional fuel can be carried in up to five external fuel tanks and the aircraft can be configured as an airborne tanker by adding an external air refueling system.

01.jpg

DESIGN PHASE

After having a break for a while and having different projects as getaways, we continue to put our efforts in designing another parkjet which we haven't got in our parkjet series. However, since the quest for ultimate parkjet continues, we wanna put something else, something different to our upcoming design.

Having it learned from some projects like Aeronca L3, P-40 Warhawk and some others, we decided to place some challenges, for us to have more scale looking and better flying efficiency on the next parkjet. The choice of design went to the F/A-18 Super Hornet, to honor RC Powers F-18 v3 plane, which is so well known worldwide already.

However, the challenges got even more serious when we wanted the plane to have true airfoil wing instead of just KF airfoil, yet still retaining similar build complexity like our other parkjet designs. Next, since we already released Su-35 G2 and Eurofighter Typhoon G1E and both of them have exceptional scale looking, we couldn't compromise the next design to be less scale looking than those beautiful parkjets. We then tried to put everything in our mind in order to accomplish the goals. Another challenge is, to make the plane small enough in just 635mm (25") wingspan, to turn it into a sport parkjet.

The next challenge is to have different motor placement. This time, we decided to have rear mounted motor design in order to learn the differences between the mid mounted and rear mounted.

Finally, we came up with the beta design which was surprisingly rigid, very scale looking and impressive performance under simulation in OpenFOAM, even with just standard power setup using Turnigy 2826 2200kv motor and 3S battery.

03.jpg
    04.jpg

So, we present you the Parkflyers International F/A-18 Super Hornet G1R (R for Rear Mounted Motor), our next generation parkjet that sports true airfoil, exceptional flight envelope as well as incredible scale lines.

Several prototypes were constructed in different countries in order to validate the design and test them under different flight conditions. We humbly are thanking Jim Soyak (US), Peter Holmgren (Canada) and Ben Kettle (Australia), for spending their valuable time to join the beta design phase and constructing the prototypes together with us. We couldn't thank you guys enough for your kindness and contributions.

05.jpg
    06.jpg
    07.jpg
    08.jpg
    09.jpg
    10.jpg

MAIDEN FLIGHT

So, after having some flights with this new F/A-18 Super Hornet G1R, we put a summary of this awesome plane in 10 bullet points:
    1. True scale lines, bulges details and shapes
    2. True airfoil wing type instead of KF airfoil plates
    3. Incredibly stable on maiden event, even under unpleasant wind condition for a maiden flight
    4. Bank rate using 4 control surfaces extends greater agility
    5. Pitch rate using only elevators proven to be more than enough and gives pitch sensitive state
    6. Crazy roll rate even using 50-60% expo and 70-80% throws on control surfaces
    7. Loop in such stable manner
    8. Easy unlimited vertical
    9. Cruising at 40-60% throttle in 30 knots wind
    10. Surprisingly very fast with 2826 2200kv motor and 6x4 propeller only at mid to full throttle

IT'S HERE!
    We are so excited to announce and to have this latest Parkflyers International F/A-18 Super Hornet G1R public availability, so people could experience the excitements we came across since designing, building stages up to flying this remarkable rear mounted parkjet. This F/A-18 G1R would surely enrich your excitements to have and fly a dazzling parkjet platform in every way.

Plan is available at www.parkflyersinternational.com.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  2. It is such a pretty looking plane and Jim even makes them look better. :) Waiting on Peter to see his finished design, Bimo yours looks great also.

3. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Thanks Wildthing

Yes, jimbosflyin has his magic touch in building and painting it.

His F/A-18s surely look so much better than the original design homey666 is catching up and splashballz's is ready for maiden.

Hopefully there will be many scale looking Hornets in the sky shortly

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

4. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Thanks for the compliments guy's,they make me want to do even a better job in trying to make these planes look store bought and fly better than store bought planes from the second they leave are hands and take off into the blue. WIN_20171018_07_55_18_Pro.jpg WIN_20171018_07_56_45_Pro.jpg

5. Hello Bimo, I would make a mode on this model to make it more like the picture. Images will explain. Tell me what you think.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

6. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

7. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Hi omar. Hope everything is well with you and your family.

We had tried to design the wing as close as the real Super Hornet. However, it will require more efforts to strengthen the wing and it wouldn't be as strong as the final design with its simplicity. So, we decided to go with the final design instead of the design with dog's teeth.

Google+

8. Here is mini-me F18, built at 50% out of 3mm Depron. Waiting on a no wind day to try it out. :)

2017_1013_180418_001.JPG 2017_1013_180426_002.JPG 2017_1013_180434_003.JPG 2017_1013_180445_004.JPG

9. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

10. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Parkflyer's International and test team -

Another beautiful design, very well done :) Best of luck to you and your team with this project. I look forward to seeing more flight video of it soon.

Cheers,

Scott

11. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Really a great honor to have your kindest words, Scott Humbly, we all hope to see more flights of the existing builts, as well as newly builts out there.

Google+

12. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Wow Bimo, the wait for a new parkjet design from you and your team was well worth it. I love the true airfoil wing and the rear mounted motor. And it's performance looks to be exceptional.

I've been dealing with health issues lately and haven't built anything in a while and you have convinced me to jump back in the ring with this beautifully designed jet.

I'll be ordering the plans very soon and buying some more Model Plane Foam so I can get going on building it.

Glad to see you back in business buddy. Again, great job!

13. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

Congratulations to the PI team for another brilliant design!

I only manage to build about one plane per year, and every time I do, the amount of improvement I see in the designs - from all the different designers - is astounding.

I had no intention of building any planes this year, until I saw this thing. Intrigued by the scale appearance and Bimo’s signature fine-detail, I couldn’t resist. I’ve only built one airfoil wing on a pylon racer before, so keen to see how it goes on a parkjet.

This thing is petite, like a sports model – wingspan is 670mm. I’m expecting it to be ultra-responsive.

My set-up:
    • Turnigy i6 Tx with an ia6b Rx, with a lipo voltage sensor
    • 4ch - elevator, integrated ailerons/elevons, and rudders
    • DYS 2600kv motor, 6x4 prop
    • Skywalker 50A ESC
    • 2200mah lipo - 3S for the maiden, then 4S forever after that
    • AUW: 518gm/710gm (without lipo / with lipo). That’s 25oz all up. Clearly I build heavy, but hopefully the power system is up to the job.

And I'm getting adventurous - I've used the Dubro Micro pushrod system for the first time, which has allowed me to get the rudder servos under the wingplate and a lot further forward. This could be my new standard...

As yet, no paint, no sanding – just raw depron. Plus some temporary green tape on the wing, for the maiden only. It’s the middle of spring here, so I’m expecting to get it in the air very shortly - first calm day that comes around.

Pics below; thanks guys!
    IMG_2562.jpg IMG_2560.jpg IMG_2570.jpg IMG_2571.jpg

Nakul, EricR, jimbosflyin and 5 others like this.
  14. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Great job Bimo and crew looks great

15. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Just made my donation to PI for my plans for the Hornet. Can't wait to get started. :D

16. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

All the builds above look great guys. Love the mini Hornet Jeff. If I might ask, what's your setup on her?

Kenny

17. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

She sure is a LOOKER!
    Your build looks smooooth and Buttery!
    Like hot buttered rum on a snowy night, she is TIGHT!

homey666, Splashballz and Wildthing like this.
  18. Double SWEET. :)

Splashballz likes this.
  19. I robbed a little Cessna , 3 very tiny motors driving 1 planetary to the prop, 800mah 1S battery. The receiver, 2 servos , heck all the electronics are built onto 1 tiny board. Ahah, found the picture. :)

2017_1008_210000_001.JPG

FlyteTime and Splashballz like this.