New build coming soon...

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Sterling101, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Been a while coming and it won't be a small one but here's the first stages of the plan for the new build.

Lanc 72 Wing.png

So, can anyone tell what it is yet?? :D

2. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

L
    It looks very much like the wing of one of these.
    [​IMG]

3. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Where will you garage it?

andy_downs, Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  4. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Right in one sir!

Still in the early stages of planning out the build but it'll be smaller than I first intended. Only a 72" span on this one as opposed to the 96" span I had originally planned. All down to transportation though - it would have stuck out of the car by about two feet if I'd gone for the bigger one :D

JTiger, andy_downs, homey666 and 2 others like this.
  5. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Thankfully it'll be stored in three parts - two wing halves and the fuselage so storage will be a little easier than it otherwise could have been.

Still might end up with the fuselage hanging from the ceiling but we'll see....

6. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

This is the problem with living in England, the houses and cars are so small:D

JTiger, andy_downs, homey666 and 2 others like this.
  7. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

It`s nice to see you back on the forum and building. I hope you have great success with this project. I must pop up to Langar when it flies and the big Vulcan as well, though I doubt I would see the two in on day:)

hwilton, JTiger, andy_downs and 2 others like this.
  8. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

I need to get more stick time in this year for definite!

The weather wasn't too kind in 2018 so the Vulcan only got 3 flights in total but hopefully 2019 will be a better one for it.

You never know, I might even be able to get both in the car with a bit of creative loading - a definite Avro day out to the airfield where they used to service and repair both planes :)

9. Can't wait for the build to start. Can't wait to see it in your car :D :D

10. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

When you say in it will literally be "IN" - probably with very little to spare around the sides :D

Shame I couldn't do the full 96" but it should be pretty nice in the air at 72" all the same.
    Wing will probably not get all those ribs though - I had the marks set out so scaled it all along to confirm the shape of the airfoil would conform how I'd expect it to. I'm hoping to use a fairly straight forward system for attaching the motors on by making up a 3D printed frame that will attach onto the wing. The inner engine pods house the undercarriage too so that will be accommodated as part of the structure which should hold it all together fine and spread the loads out. Once that's in place a quick "skin job" cover should work pretty well I think.
    No idea on what the weight will be as yet but I'm expecting less than 4kg flight ready which should open my options a bit for the undercarriage and give me something to shoot for on the power train too.

11. I am sure it will be a master piece when you are done with it. :)

12. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

We'll see - will be another one of my "not quite scale but looks good in the air" builds I think but should be much easier than the Vulcan was by a long way!

13. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Been playing with some ideas for mounting the motors by using a 3D printed pod. Think it'll work but I'll wrap some Depron around it and make sure it will fit how I have set things up on the plan.

Could do with actually learning Rhino Jeff so I can do the plans how you've been doing!

IMG_20181231_203523.jpg

14. It's nice being able to do everything in one program so you know it should fit, well most of the time. :D I was going to ask you if you had a Rhino model of the plane. ;)

JTiger, andy_downs and Sterling101 like this.
  15. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

I need to find some time to model and learn it properly I think. All of this is done with imagination and a 3 view drawing translated into Inkscape :D

JTiger, andy_downs and Wildthing like this.
  16. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Bit more playing to see what the outer engine pod would look like. Need to tweak it around a bit more and obviously the finished version will be sanded to shape but it's a reasonable start...

IMG_20190101_195948.jpg

quorneng, Wildthing, homey666 and 2 others like this.
  17. How much does the pod weigh? Is it hollow on the inside or what percent infill?

Wildthing, andy_downs and Sterling101 like this.
  18. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Around 30g without the motor, 80g with so not massively heavy. I went for 30% infill as it should be strong enough (tested to hold 1.5kg before failure).
    I was considering 3D modelling it and printing the entire pod out but the Depron outer is a slightly easier route for me with my limited modelling skills and somewhat lighter too.

Wildthing, andy_downs and malukk like this.
  19. quorneng

quorneng Ace Pilot

I would agree entirely that printing a complete nacelle sounds nice but just printing the load carrying bits and then covering in a foam makes better use of the materials.
    It is after all the principle of how the full size was done although in that case steel beams and tubing. ;)