NEW 2017 HYDRO JET Official Thread

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Screenshot 2017-01-29 at 5.31.02 PM.png

DOWNLOAD.png

P1_1.jpg

P1_2.jpg

P1_3.jpg

P1_4.jpg

RCPOWERS HYDRO JET
    I fly this everywhere! I fly it off the grass, the street, and the small pond down the street. Having the motor in the “puller position” makes the plane so stable I can fly it in my front yard (I can’t do that with any of my other parkjets). The unique front end keeps my motor and prop safe as I bump into stuff. It’s what I’ve always wanted, it’s so cool! ~ Dave Powers

START BUILDING
    - PARTS: Get your motor, battery, ESC, foam, radio, servos, hardware, etc on this PARTS page.
    - INSTRUCTIONS: Your plans have some build tips. Also see the Basics Instructions as well as Post 2, Post 3 and Post 4.
    - CONTROLS: Elevons and rudders are what we recommend. If you ever need help setting up a plane, see our PARKJET EBOOKS.
    - NOT SURE?: These planes are very rewarding. We’d like to help you get in the air if you need anything, just ask. info@RCPowers.com.

DOWNLOAD.png
    PLEASE NOTE: Our cart software has been updated January 2017.
    This particular product will not appear in your RCPowers “My Downloads” section.
    For faster service, a direct download link will be instantly emailed to you upon purchase.
    Specs: Intermediate, 26.75” span (68cm), 35.25” length (90cm), 16-19oz flying weight (454-539g)
    Electronics: 34-47g, 2200kv motor, 20-30A ESC, 11.1v (3S) 1300mAh, 30C lipo, 6x4 prop, 3-6ch radio, (3) 9g servos
    Build Materials: 6mm foam: (2) 24x48”, (2) 24” 3mm carbon tube, hot glue, epoxy, (3) 18” pushrods, (3) clevis, (3) control horns
    Controls: 15° elevon/elevator deflection, 15° aileron deflection, 15° rudder deflection

2. Build Pictures
    1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png 6.png 7.png 8.png 9.png 10.png 11.png

Airflow, Aeronut, SukhoiLover and 5 others like this.
  3. BUILD TIPS
    - We recommend using the lighter 1300mAh 3S 30C battery to make balancing easier.
    - Like all delta planes, the HydroJet prefers to fly with 4 degrees of up trim (reflex).
    - Gluing a nickel (coin) to the underside of the nose is what we do when needed.

WATER TIPS
    - We recommend water testing your sponsons in a sink or tub before mounting them to the plane.
    - Is your prop “slapping” the water? Chances are you have a leaky sponson.
    - It is absolutely critical that your two sponsons are 100% water sealed at all times.
    - If your plane is over weight (over 18oz) this can cause your prop to strike the water.
    - If you are using a prop over 6 inches long, this will cause the prop to strike the water.
    - If your motor is mounted lower than stock, this can cause the prop to strike the water.

4. Shannon

Shannon Administrator

New RCPowers Hydro Jet!

Enjoy!

5. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Top Gun

glad someone finally listened to my requests these past few years ;)

Airflow, Eldorado4, malukk and 5 others like this.
  6. Butch1953

Butch1953 Ace Pilot

Outstanding bird looks very hot nice job repowers.

7. That is kind of cool, way to go RCP

8. trill

trill Rookie

I think it looks more like the Saab Draken

9. Thebarefootflyer

Thebarefootflyer Cadet

That's cool. I've been waiting for something like this. Now I just have to make some room in my hangar area.

10. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

Hi @all,
    I'm missing one info that can be essential:
    A lot of foams are taking water itself so you will build a submarine instead of an Hydro Plane by using them, to be sure your foam will work for this project, use real "DEPRON" or even test your foam in with water before you start with.
    Cheers,
    Andreas

EDIT:
    DEPRON is not the only foam that will work for seaplanes and hydros, MPF for example should work as well, as I said if you are not sure check it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Wildthing, Eldorado4, lysle42 and 2 others like this.
  11. Jeriah

Jeriah Top Gun

Wow I love the design! I remember how much fun I had with the old model, this one should be even better!

12. IronRangeRC

IronRangeRC Rookie

The Polaris looks good and flies good. It is a little tricky to build the first one. I built four. The elevator/aileron servos are stuffed into a narrow part in the rear of the fuselage. In a crash or hard landing the weight of the motor, mounted high on the rudder, falls forward breaking the fuselage at the base of the rudder.

The RC Powers Hydro Jet should not have these problems. Hope to fly this summer in the BWCA of Minnesota.

Wildthing, Eldorado4, lysle42 and 3 others like this.
  13. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

That is one cool plane a person could easily put on 3/4 oz fiber glass cloth on the bottom fuse and floats and never have to worry about it becoming a submarine :) i mean @ 0.157 pounds per sq foot in weight or 71 grams per Sq foot of wouldn't be much more weight added.
    Or just resin coat it

Airflow, Eldorado4 and lysle42 like this.
  14. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Now, that is really showing the "Ground Effects" that one has to deal with, especially landing. Impressed with the stability at very high angles, it's a winner!!!!!

15. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

I'm sue this comment was to my post:
    1. plans and infos have to be beginner friendly
    2. most beginners are building there planes to heavy anyway so there is no room to add more weight
    3. a m² (125cm x 80cm) of original DEPRON is round about 5 USD, so it's much cheaper than building with cheaper foam and adding a lot of money to seal it
    But hey, if a post has no info for you and you will build it your own way, just feel free to do it.
    I hope you can excuse if I see a hydro plane made from fiberglassed paperback foam and a propeller half way airscrew, half way boat prop. xD

@all
    it's now much more plane than the old one, very interesting, however I have some other running projects, so maybe I add one later to my hangar.

@IronRangeRC
    Did you build your Polaris with the wooden reinforcement on the base of the vertical?
    Maybe a little bigger piece of wood or some carbon below would help with harder landings.
    Everything can be reinforced, it's only a question of material and weight.

16. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

We don't use Depron no more except what we may have left since its now gone. But we use MPF as well and that floats.

And just as I thought I was done with jets for a while. Purchased. Will be building right away as well.

17. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

Yeah, MPF should work as well only that I didn't try it cause I have enough DEPRON in stock and it easy to get here.
    However some foams will work fine for planes but not for seaplanes or even hydros.

18. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I spy a mighty fine sailin` vessel an` I Long John Saliva will be tarrin` the bottom o` my flyin` machine *** boat:)

63 nova, Wildthing, lysle42 and 4 others like this.
  19. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

I still have 2 sheets of Depron left I think. If so, I may just use them for this.

Wildthing, lysle42 and Fz1Fazer like this.
  20. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Saw it,
    Liked it,
    Bought it,
    Downloaded it,
    Building it.