Lets Talk About Paint!

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Thelic, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Thelic

Thelic Ace Pilot

So here's where I'm at.
    IMG_1533.JPG

Obviously I want to start painting these bad boys soon.

My only previous paint jobs on planes now dead involved a can of road marking paint sprayed carelessly overtop to mark the top from bottom. This time I'd like to do it right since I've spent some time sanding and filling. I see a lot of you guys have some beautiful paint jobs! Give me your tips and tricks! I think I'll only bother painting the tops.

Do I need to prime or otherwise do something to the foam?
    What's the best type of paint that's safe for foam?
    How much weight should I expect to add?

I think ill use the following patterns.
    pakfa_large.jpg su35_large.jpg

2. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I`m rubbish at painting so I cut out coloured IMAG0006.JPG tissue paper and stuck it on my Fokker D8. Only the wing was painted with airosol paint. The markings are black and white paper and the stripes on the stablizer is felt tip pen.
    Most aerosol paints will do but you must spray VERY light mist coats at a distance of about 12 inches. If you are using DTF the chances of paint damage is less than on naked foam. Best bet is to cut out some templates for your blocks of colour.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    Lgel, Airflow, DavePowers and 5 others like this.
  3. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

I just use Acrylic hobby paint cause it's so cheap! Cheapo mini roller for base coat, then mask off patterns if need-be. Usually go for a solid bright colour for the belly with white striping. Easy peasy and $3 per plane
    20150926_235341.jpg 20150926_235359.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  4. halfpint

halfpint Cadet

I use the same cheep paint I get a Wally World. They are about .50 cents a bottle and a brush. Like was suggest on here, I build my first on just to check things out and usually use colored tape. All others I paint. I (just me) usually paint the major parts before putting them together. Its easier to brush paint on a flat surface. I know some feel time painting is lost time but I think some pride should be part of the experience. If you just want to fly buy one. We all are not broke, if we were we wouldn't be spending money this way. Every time I take time to read on here I learn something. So to me painting show respect to the hobby and to all that has helped me. I've only been flying ( tiring to learn) in the last 6 months or so. I went to the field last week and passer told me they loved the plane and how they fly. I told them to check out this site and just read some on the post and see what people are doing. Its so cool. Again thanks to all that have posted and gave me all this free information. Thumbs to all.

Attached Files:

5. Thelic

Thelic Ace Pilot

Omg, how many SU-34's do you have?

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  6. RabidPug

RabidPug Cadet

I love the brown one halfpint!
    I used to hand paint my planes, and then I started letting others fly them, so I use the cheap and easy dtfb with normal spray paint and masking tape.

bimoadiprakoso and bogusbandit56 like this.
  7. halfpint

halfpint Cadet

I have 2ea SU34 ready to fly, 5ea just frame, I have been trying different stuff to see what works best for me. On a standard frame it works out to about 11.2oz the brown camo is 10oz flat. I guess you can say that ever time I build one I learn something that makes the next one better. Im at 2ea SU30s and 2ea Mig29. That's it.. I just don't build for the plane, Im using it to clear my head. lol Thanks for the comments..

8. Thelic

Thelic Ace Pilot

Yes, learn something every time. I find myself using features from other models on the one I'm building currently. Thinking of building my 4th SU-34 but using the bottom of the SU-30 where it ties the nacelles together, that sure neatens up the build and makes it way stiffer.

11oz sounds really heavy for just an airframe, my current one is still only 7oz w/o electronics, and that's filled and sanded. Does the paint add that much weight?

9. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

What a great hangar you have and all so beautifully painted. I guess your a big SU34 fan as well:)

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  10. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

It`s great therapy and a lot of fun:)

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  11. halfpint

halfpint Cadet

All I use is Dollar Tree foam board and hot glue. Ill do a check on paint for weight. I do but I wish they were lighter but they fly GREAT.

12. halfpint

halfpint Cadet

You bet Im a big SU34 fan but Im working on the other ones as well

13. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I think you should have a go at building the SU34 in depron and keeping it as light as possible to see the difference in acrobatic performance. It can perform the most outrageous things with just elevons and the standard set up.

14. Newt

Newt Administrator

I painted these with cans of Krylon spray paint. Many very light coats and keep back from the foam. Best to experiment on scrap foam.

Attached Files:

Lgel, bogusbandit56 and homey666 like this.
  15. Newt

Newt Administrator

These were brush painted with acrylics

Attached Files:

Airflow and homey666 like this.
  16. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Looks nice Newt!
    I might "borrow" some acrylics from my girls;)
    How are these acrylics when it comes to weight?

17. Newt

Newt Administrator

Heavy

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

bogusbandit56 and Airflow like this.
  18. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

haha! Ok, thank you!.. my kids will not have to worry about their acrylics in the future:)

19. Newt

Newt Administrator

Well, perhaps I should clarify that.
    For example, the black Mig 29v3 was painted top and bottom with acrylics and gained just under 2 oz,
    which was not a problem since this jet can easily handle it.
    Acrylics are inexpensive, easy to obtain many colors, water clean up, low odor and I freehand most paint jobs so very little time masking.
    Downside - weight and 6 hours between coats.

Spray painting takes me a while to mask off everything and I have to wait until the weather/wind is ok so I can paint outside. The fumes and over spray can be a nuisance.

I prefer the "look" of the spray paint and the fact that it drys in minutes so I can re-coat quickly.
    And it adds very little weight .

Lgel, Airflow and bogusbandit56 like this.
  20. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes spraying must be much better, will try to mix the paint with water and use my old equipment for painting cars, just have to find where it is ... only the compressor is left in the garage.

Dam and bogusbandit56 like this.