How to charge LIPOs

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by thesull, Dec 12, 2011.

1. thesull

thesull Cadet

How do I charge my LIPO batteries properly?I have just been hooking them up and charging them at 1.0 AMP takes about 3- 40 mins...

Do I need to discharge them before I charge them??

2. biggles

biggles Cadet

As far as I know you should try and avoid discharging them totally as it shortens the life span I think you should leave about 20 percent power in them so for a 1600mah that would leave 320mah in it. Your battery charger will tell you how many mah you have put back in it when you charge it back up. For charging it I think Dave recommends you charge at 50 % of the mah so for a 1600mah that would be 0.8amp

3. Argonath

Argonath Top Gun

You do not need to discharge the LIPO before charging it unless you have unbalanced cells that won't balance when you charge it. Even then though, the only discharge method you should be using is by use.

4. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

You shouldn't let any one cell of your battery fall below 3V to avoid damaging it. That means 9V is your lower limit on a 3S, 6V on a 2S. This is where balance charging becomes important. The whole battery may be at 9V, but if one cell started higher than the others, then one cell may dip below 3V. Most ESCs won't let the battery go below the 20% threshold previously mentioned, but other applications may not be so merciful. Each cell will discharge and charge at a slightly different rate than the other two, so balancing keeps the starting point the same for every use.

Charging rates is another fun topic. Dave recommends 50% of the mah, but you can charge at 100% of the mah without damaging the battery too. 50% will get you the max lifetime from the battery, but when you have a bunch of lipos to charge, 100% makes more sense. Quick charging at the field (if your charger will do it) will push that rate up even more, but once in a while won't kill a battery. The quick charge usually isn't a balance charge, either, so if you have an older battery it may not be a good idea.

5. LukeWarm

LukeWarm Top Gun

The maximum charge rate is different depending on the capacity (mAh) of the battery. Your mAh/1000 is the number you are looking for. A 1600mah battery should be charged at 1600/1000 = 1.6 amps and your 2200mah battery should be charged at 2200/1000 = 2.2 amps. If you are using cheap batteries like Turnigy, Zippy etc, take .2 amps off. (per Gray)

For a normal fast charge, you can charge it at 50% of the maximum charge rate without a problem, but your batteries will last longer if you charge them quite a bit below the max. You should wait at least an hour after a use before you recharge them.

So to recap charging a 2200mah battery:
    1) Super Fast > 2.2 amps,
    2) Fast > 1.1 amp,
    3) You battery will Last longer > .5 amps

NO. The only reason to ever discharge a LiPo is to checking the capacity of that pack. You use to have to discharge NiCads so they would not develop a memory. You also had to charge NiCad fast and completely. With LiPos, you do not need to do any of that. The only trick with LiPos is you have to use a special charger, never discharge them below 50% of rated voltage capacity, and never ever short the positive and negative leads together.

6. puffin2012

puffin2012 Rookie

So for me to charge my zippy 5000mah battery it would be:
    1) Super Fast > 4.8 amps,
    2) Fast > 2.4 amps,
    3) You battery will Last longer > .1.2 amps
    Is this the correct way to charge my battery?

RCPowers likes this.
  7. Newt

Newt Administrator

yes