How much time does it take to charge a Lipo Battery???

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Adrean, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Adrean

Adrean Rookie

Hello everyone!

As many, i'm just starting to build a parkflyer, and I'm about to buy the batteries.

I would like to know the average charging time for a LiPo battery, this way i will know how many batteries to buy.

Thanks in advance for your help!!! :boggled:

2. Dredogol

Dredogol M0DERATOR - (aka "Dred")

Roughly 1-hour... sometimes about 1:20

It all depends on the capacity (mA / # cells), and how fast you charge them.

3. planefreak

planefreak Rookie

General rules unless stated on the Lipo by the manufacturer is that Lipos should be charged at 1C.

This means for a pack which is 1000mAH then it should not be charged more than a rate of 1000mAH.

This will naturally equate to 1 hour.

Several minor factors which will alter the times are number of cells, temperature, manufacturer of charger and Lipo pack along with the amount of charge needed if the Lipo is not fully discharged through a complete cycle of use linked to a BEC on the ESC.

Lipo cells will possibly be ruined if the discharge cycle allows the voltage of each cell to fall below 3.0 volts. Hence the need for a BEC.

Some more recent manufacturer of Lipo cells are informing that they can indeed be charged at a higher / quicker rate than 1C.

Check the labels on the pack to confirm this. If nothing is stated then the 1C rule should apply.

Following link will be useful throughout your model building carreer

http://www.4-max.co.uk/usefulinfo.htm