HobbyKing Graphene Lipo test!

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by DutchRC, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Hi there boys & girls :)

I got me a box of different new Graphene lipo's in to test (and offcourse use for my own pleasure :p) ..
    I'll be doing bench-tests & real-life tests with these lipo's to see what all the fuzz is about :)

Let me first show you what kind a packs I got in...

DavePowers, Airflow and bogusbandit56 like this.
  2. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

looking forward to your test results...

DavePowers likes this.
  3. Same here offcourse.. I do hope they perform at least reasonable cause I've got 'a few' $$ in this :p

4. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

Some guys over at RCGroups have done extensive testing on them One guy is running like 20 cycles ion them at a time. He was over 800 charging cycles with those batteries and they were still at 90% and higher. Basically their testing proved that these batteries are in fact better, and last a long long time. He even purposely ran them under voltage and they were still in great shape. I am not an expert all the battery technology, so check out the threads over at RCGroups for some data that may or maynot help youi n your testing.

Here is the link. They are actually for the turnigy batteries, not sure if they are the same as you received. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2592234

Oh yea, I can't see your video from work, thats why I don't know if I posted link to the same batteries you received. :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  5. Howdy :) yeah.. I am aware of those tests.. What is your take on that nr. of cycles? How long would it actually take to do that?

6. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

Oh Wow, I have no idea. As you saw in that thread, that guy is somehow running like 20 cycles at a time. Another guy in that thread is doing it the more real world way, he is actually using them then charging, and keeping track of his data. If you do not have the ability to run a lot of cycles at once (and I have NO idea how that is done, lol) then it will take a longgggggg time to get through 900 cycles.

Wildthing likes this.
  7. Well.. I can set my charger to do charge-discharge cycles automatically (I don't know how manny at a time).. BUT.. how would that resemble real-life use? There won't be any stress on the packs that way.

malukk likes this.
  8. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

very true..it will not discharge them at an accelerated rate unless the charger is a very expensive one with big heat sinks....at most i think chargers could discharge at like 5 amps..putting very little load on a battery that can do 100 amps or more...so the real world tests are better (but slower)

Airflow and malukk like this.
  9. That 2200mah 3S I have has the most chance of getting a Lot of cycles here.. But still.. 800 cycles? See you back for that test-result in a few years ;)

10. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

The reason why 800 to 900 charges was mentioned is because one of the bragging features of this type of lipo is that it holds up well after the usual 200 or more cycles that normal lipos get, and that after 900 or so cycles the battery is still within 85 to 90% of its capacity.

11. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Hi Dutch Rc I think you need a P.( in the title):)

12. Thanks bro :)

13. Here we go! My first not-so-scientific test with them Graphene lipo's :)
    Black gold, or no better then charcoal? :p

Let's do some real-life testing...

DavePowers, malukk and e3_Scott like this.
  14. Howdy peoples.. I did me another test with them Graphene lipo's.. This time I asked the Traxxas Aton what he made of them new HK lipo's :)

TomMonton and DavePowers like this.
  15. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

I just watched your video Dutch, very interesting results. I'm watching these things to see how they work. Cool stuff.

Wildthing likes this.
  16. Thanks Dave! :) It would be Really interesting to do a chemical analysis of these lipo's to see if there Really is graphene in them :p

Wildthing likes this.
  17. Last edited: May 11, 2016
    TomMonton likes this.
  18. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

3 things interest me.

I would like a weight comparison for the same rating between different brands. Remember, lighter is better.

Dimensions, will it fit in your existing plane.(like a racer)

Life expectancy, it may go many quick cycles for now, but what really happens if those cycles happen over a period of years. WSJ had an article stating that oxides building up on electrodes(over time) of lipos and that limits the number of cycles and amount. And we all know that heat will increase the rate of oxidation.
    I am willing to wait until the flyers(pylon and heli) in our local area clubs let us know how they pan out. A lot of unknowns.

Wildthing likes this.
  19. For the price I will stick to the normal lipo

e3_Scott likes this.
  20. Halloa guys :)

breathing some new life into an Old topic ;) This one isn't so much a test.. more a product-tip for y'all :)