FRCFOAMIES DE HAVILLAND MOSQUITO "THE WOODEN WONDER"

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Sep 21, 2013.

1. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Some of us cut wedges and glue them in the score which makes a very strong structure and some like myself use lite weight DAP spackle.Then we just paint them light with craft paint or testers enamel.

andy_downs likes this.
  2. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

I may use the Nysilk and PVA .... depends how weather is !! If its **** and no chance of a maiden - then I'll close them up ...

I put the model into eCalc and it shows that 1400kv motors (I'm going to use the L2210A 1400kv bell motors) with 6x4 props should be near 1:1 power / weight. With 6x5 3 bladers more than enough.

I look at the 8" jobs people fit and I cannot help thinking of prop tips are very close to the deck.

At present - I'm 3D printing various bits to see how they match up ... once I have scaling factors etc. - I will post up.

Nigel

andy_downs likes this.
  3. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I'm useing 1400kv motors also along with 8x6x3 ccw/cw master airscrew props,plenty of room for them.I printed out exhaust tubes and spinners for it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    andy_downs likes this.
  4. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

Reckon - you must be flying on about 30% throttle ???? Must admit - the sound would be lower and more harmonic.

My TU144 with twin Floaterjet motors and 5x5's ... sounds like two cats being scalded !!

Puts teeth on edge !!

Nigel

andy_downs and jimbosflyin like this.
  5. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

The video was filmed before the final plans was released so you will notice some minor changes here and there.

andy_downs and Sterling101 like this.
  6. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

I just use acrylic spay paint directly onto the foam starting with a light mist building up the layers.

7. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

Nacelles fitted ... just thinking the fronts are huge !! I've gone back to plans design for motor mount ... to avoid cutting the nacelles to fit the X 3D jobbies.

Marked up for retracts ... looking at full size Mossie - wheel centres seem to lie just about in line with wing LE (not radiator intakes) ...

8. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I used the custimizable circular motor mount on thingivers and rescaled it.

9. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I bring my wheels foward so the plane dosn't nose plant when takeing off.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 6:53 AM
  10. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

In the end I just measured what square ... 37mm ... and then with laser machine cut the square with hole for rear shaft end and screws...

It will be gorilla glued in later ...

Just thinking whether to split ailerons or have Y lead ..

11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Well, it's up to you how far you want to go with the details, but the beauty of the score and fold plane is that it's a quick build and looks great without detailing it. You could fill in the gaps but that adds nothing to the performance. I think if I were to fly it once then put it on a shelf for display I would spend extra time, otherwise I'd take that extra time and fly it! Also, we te d to have more fun and take more chances flying when we do not have too much time invested, so I'd say sand it and paint it!

12. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

I decided to just use thin tape to cover the 'trenches' ... once painted with my usual emulsion ... should be fine.

13. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

What did you guys do about tail wheel steering ... IF you fitted wheels of course ! Or leave it free castoring ?

I'm planning on using differential on the throttles - so free castoring should be ok ... or even just fixed straight line ... the diff thrust should overcome it.

14. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

I'd just put a small popsicle stick at the rear for simplicity, or like you said a free wheeling tail wheel would be nice.

Jay, from www.frcfoamies.com

15. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

OK ... on with the foam and glue ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The retracts are fitted with 3D printed mounts set into 6 layers of 6mm depron ... then PU glued into the nacelles. (PU glue is generic Gorilla Glue at 1/3rd the price !!). Just a spray of water in there ... place retract and its mounting block in place ... close of the front part of nacells with paper towels wedged in, wedge the mount so it stays correct ... pour in the PU glue with model nose down so it flows into all the nooks and crannies ... the water makes it bubble and foam creating a solid foam block mount ....

The retracts are the 38x35 Hobby King small to medium size ... I did order the 35 x 28 small ones - but decided to go for these which I had spare from my Mig 3.

Everything is in place except I am waiting :

2x 30A ESC's
    1x 2210 1400 motor to match the one I have in stock

Once I have those - then I fit and close up the wing.

Nigel

16. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

Yes - I know ... I am not so clean in cutting foam as some !! That's a new blade as well ....

17. Don't force or use much pressure on the blade, it may take two or three passes. What type of foam are you using?

18. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

6mm Depron ... we have a supply still here in Latvia ... I buy by the box load. Contrary to storys put out 'across the pond' - Depron was not stopped ... what happened was the producers chose to stop the grading of sheets as to model grade / house grade.
    I have both and they are identical ...

You can of course buy the coarser grade that is more brittle and usually coloured green or black. It has the tell-tale corrugated side and other smooth .... designed for the corrugated side to take more adhesive.

Nigel

Wildthing likes this.
  19. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

While waiting for the last items ... tacked the wing sheets in place (will remove to fit ESC's and motors) ... got out my water based poster paints.

Downloaded a Mossie colour scheme and roughed her out. Of course - silly me - I missed that the Invasion stripes should be on rear fuselage as well !! Oh well ... that will be corrected later. That is of course only the rough first coat ... once the second coats go on ... will look much better !

The 'trenches' will get filled with lightweight filler and that being water based as well will be fine with the poster paint.

Once all completed - then a coat of matt clear varnish so I can then stick on my decals.

[​IMG]

Nigel

andy_downs likes this.
  20. solentlife

solentlife Cadet

Yes another question ....

Did anyone chamfer the aerofoil wing sheets leading and trailing edges to have them sit onto the basic wing better ?

Before final checking off - it will get the sanding block run round all those edges to clean up.

nigel

Wildthing and andy_downs like this.