Foam Tac Source

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by F1wanabe, Jul 9, 2013.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Jay and I have been allowed to distribute Foam tac both here in America and in Europe!
    [​IMG]
    Eric from beacon with our Foam tac Alpha Jet

We are shipping now in America but will need a couple weeks for European delivery. I've gone to using foam tac almost exclusively since it holds in all temperatures, has a better surface bond than hot glue, tacks up much quicker than epoxy, and actually becomes lighter as it cures. It cures at 30 % of its wet weight and I have found I van easily lose over 10% weight over hot glue per plane. I've gotten 2 Alpha Jets and 1 of our mk2 size planes out of a bottle.
    We have been asked to maintain a certain price for Foam Tac, and have priced it according to their request. There are a couple other sources that are lower, but we were told by Beacon Adhesives that these vendors are using out of date formulation that is 2 years old. Please see our website if you are interested :
    http://frcfoamies.com/Foam-Tac_Glue.php

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

2. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Greg -

When you say America, does that also include Canada? I know it sounds funny of me to ask, but there are sometimes hiccups with certain products being shipped across the border. I am not even sure that Foam-Tac is sold by any distributors in Canada.

Cheers,

Scott

3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I will look into that Scott. Good question!

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

4. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks, Greg. I know that other distributors (HeadsUp RC and RC Foam) have shipped it to me here, but something about FAA regulations or something it might only be able to be shipped by ground, not air, not sure. Just basing it on this statement on the RC Foam website

Cheers,

Scott

5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Yes , ground is Ok, so we would have to use one of those methods. Ups costs quite a but, unfortunately. I've quoted usps on the website so let me see what that cost would be.

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

6. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

"Jay and I have been allowed to distribute Foam tac both here in America and in Europe"
    Greg, To Europe!!:) I heard that it was not possible to ship the product by air, because of something ....

7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

We have our ways, Airflow! ;-)

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

Airflow likes this.
  8. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

RC Foam ships Foam-Tac it to me by US Postal Service, international shipping rates are pretty steep, but then for some reason Canada Post jacks up the cost of sending a simple envelope to the States for some reason. For a basic letter under 30g, Canada Post charges $.63 domestically and $1.10 to send the same letter to the US! Not sure why that is, you would think two postal services that much exchange so much mail on a daily basis might help each other and their users out a bit...:confused:

I personally have had nothing but nightmarish luck dealing with UPS, but the US Postal Service has been great with any orders I have made from GH, HeadsUp and RC Foam.

Just my $.02 (Cdn) worth...:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Scott

9. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Your explanation is enough for me Greg!;) Let's talk business, what will Customers in Europe have to pay when everyone has had their share of the pie? (Approximate price)

10. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Don't know yet. I am trying to find the best method to ship at the moment, but I will let you know when we have a price Airflow!

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

11. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks Greg! Next question ... :) Will there be any kind of six pack or larger packages available? How much glue (approximate amount) is needed for an FRC MK1 or RCP V2 size plane?

Oops! almost forgot... How long can I store the packages, perhaps in the refrigerator for the best durability? Thank you Sir! I think that's all for now...

12. squishy

squishy Top Gun

right on, my favorite glue..

13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Right now it's per bottle. I have built 2 alpha jets and 1 mk2 from one bottle. Really, less is more with this. I use a thin coat on each surface, smooth it out with my finger, and join. It's almost instant hold.

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

14. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

What is the Specific Gravity of the material?

If you want to say, store a bottle for a couple of months, do you put it in a fridge,freezer or what? and what is the shelf life?

15. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Ok Greg, sounds pretty good, let's see where the price ends up when all is done!

16. squishy

squishy Top Gun

It's not cheap, and for good reason..

Boxermad84 and F1wanabe like this.
  17. farside

farside Airman

I have seen many youtube videos saying that after you put glue on you rub parts back and forth together, wait from 5 minutes to 15+ minutes(different for each youtube, and then join pieces together. What is your method and do you wait some time before joining?

Denny

18. squishy

squishy Top Gun

I put it on both parts, let it dry for about ten minutes and then stick the parts together. Be careful when doing this, make sure you get it right the 1st time because the parts will not be coming apart again. I also use it to make awesome hinges in EPP...way better than tape..

I made a video about it three years ago...

19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I'll get the spec sheet on it for you, but the first few bottles I purchased was the old formulation about 2 years old and I got hooked on it. So it's definitely a 2 year shelf life with no special storage requirements other than removing the spout and replacing the cap. The newer formulation cures quicker and tacks sooner.

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

20. squishy

squishy Top Gun

This is something I am interested in...but it sounds like it needs to be tested, I require two bottles for testing...lol