Flying Pancake.

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bogusbandit56, Feb 23, 2018.

1. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Ta.:D

2. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Panny Jack. Nice!

Peter

3. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Panny Jack rhymes with fanny pack. Was that the intention:D?
    It would also look good with a large red Maple leaf emblazoned on it:)

4. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Simple but effective job bb. Looks like a British lady bug. :) Looks great.

5. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Thanks FT, it does make it look far better than depron with bits of of orange tape randomly stuck on it to hold the seems together.
    Definitly worth the time in my opinion.
    I did want to do a lady bug theme on top but I didn`t want to add too much weight with solid red and black tape:)

6. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

I concur! :)

7. mastermalpass086

mastermalpass086 Ace Pilot

That's certainly gonna stand out in the sky - nice work on the tape-job... Y'know, that curvy vehicle with a Union Flag on it seems familiar, doesn't it?

[​IMG]

8. SukhoiLover

SukhoiLover Ace Pilot

Yeah, Baby, Yeah!

9. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

The Pancake didn`t like the new livery and crashed on take off. I`m not sure what happened , may be to windy and a bad launch angle.
    Having looked at the crash footage I think the larger props I had fitted magnified the imbalance I had between the two esc`s.

I set this project aside as it was getting a bit to complicated for my simple brain.
    I may build a new Pancake to my own specifications using the knowledge I gleaned from the first two prototypes.
    The idea of this project was to have an aircraft that could take off vertically and then go to fixed wing mode using a KK2 flight controller.

I simply hate messing with flight control boards and doing things that require programming via the computer.
    If any one in the UK would like to assist me by re flashing and programming a KK2 board for a Bi- copter mode that can transition to fixed wing mode please let me know.
    I have several KK2 boards that I could post to the willing victim:)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Flybyknight22 and Wildthing like this.
  10. trying2fly

trying2fly Top Gun

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  11. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I had to dig the message out of my post there TTF:)
    Unfortunately the first plane was too damaged to repair once I had taken the packing tape off it fell into lots of pieces. The second one was also badly damaged.
    I will be looking at building a new one during the winter months as it was fun to fly and if I can achieve what I initially set out to do this plane will be an absolute winner.

12. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

I have designed and played with blended wing bodies as well as pancake designs where the best was the turtle(my own plans). Hence, I am aware of what can happen and how they fly. Have tried an oblique wing, I have? If you go and review the wind tunnel data on this type plane , you will see all the kinds of problems it really had. It really doesn't matter if the motors are in the front, mid or rear, you can adjust for that in the equation.

Data from the wind tunnel can tell you exactly how it will fly and even give you the results as the wing angle changes in respect to the airflow.

13. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I`m afraid you are wrong on the account of prop position.
    If you read up on the Vought 173 you will find the importance of having the props in front of the wing tips and the direction of the props. They spin outwards which reduces the wing tip vortices which effectively increase the wing span. You can`t get this effect if the props are in the center or mounted on the rear of the plane.
    When the power is turned off in flight there is a very noticeable dropping of the nose as the wing span is effectively reduced and full up elevator is need to glide the plane. Even a small amount of throttle will lift the nose back up.
    This model has a symmetrical aerofoil which tapers to the wing tips which is also important to how the plane flies.
    A flat plate or flat bottomed aerofoil will act differently.

Wildthing likes this.
  14. trying2fly

trying2fly Top Gun

Bogus...you were correct....the X-31 is a nightmare in the wind!!! X-31 lands 002.JPG X-31 lands 003.JPG

15. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Wildthing and trying2fly like this.
  16. trying2fly

trying2fly Top Gun

hahahaha.....It was messed up more than it looks!!! It was a 60 sec nitemare!!!!!!!

17. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

That flys great Ian!
    Has a nice turbine like sound also.
    Very nice!

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  18. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Thanks FBK, it was an interesting build as I had no specs to go on and not too sure what to expect.
    I am not keen on the high pitched whine of the little quad motors but they certainly did their job.

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  19. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I`m not at all surprised :)

20. hwilton

hwilton Airman

Looks like my normal 'landings' years ago on Grand Turk...the bare limestone bedrock LZ were even less forgiving than a friendly bush!

Flybyknight22 and trying2fly like this.