F-35 V3: The “Scale Trainer”

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Jun 10, 2013.

1. “The New F-35 V3: Fly Slow And Look Good.”

“I am extremely pleased with purchase”
    I'm building the F-35 V3 and I thought the design was pretty good. It wasn't until I installed the wing that I realized just how superb the design is. It's obvious that a LOT of thought, care and brain sweat went into the design of this plane. The the internal structure design gives the foam material far more strength than it has any right to have. I am extremely pleased with purchase of the V3 package and I am looking forward to the "maiden".
    By edcentanni | August 24, 2013 | Full review here

POWER SYSTEM
    Motor:
    ESC:
    Prop:
    Battery:
    Servos:
    Radio:
    2200kv, 30A max
    30A
    6x4 APC
    11.1v, 1600mAh, 20C
    2-6 metal gear
    2.4 GHz 6CH
    SPECIFICATION
    Scale:
    Length:
    Wing Span:
    Wing Area:
    Weight:
    Channels:
    1/20
    43.1” (109.5 cm)
    32” (81. cm)
    3.9 sq ft (0.36 sq m)
    16-26 oz (450 - 740 g)
    3-6

Get Started Building

2. “I am sold on this plane!”
    Built mine from Dollar Store foam-core. First flight today using just elevons. Oh my golly Miss Molly! This plane is freaking amazing!!! Stable, easy to control, goes fairly fast, slows WAY down. I am sold on this plane! Can't wait to build another model!
    By miatateer | October 20, 2013 | Full review here

“Felt like I was flying my modified Wild Hawk”
    I just got back from the maiden flight of my F-35! It was amazing how well it flew considering how sloppy I built it. It was very stable and it felt like I was flying my modified Wild Hawk. It landed more smoothly than any other plane I've ever flown! I flew it until the battery died and did not crash once. I was nervous because this was my first scratch build, and I haven't flown a plane in over a year. It does nice loop-dee-loops too.
    By CJNewton | July 28, 2013 | Full review here

“Plenty of time for me to think and get on the sticks”
    Dave, its everything you said, thank you. Only 3 clicks of up trim needed, and stable as can be. I’m running the stock setup with the Supersonic v2 2200 motor and a 6x4 APC prop. Its no speed demon but a very stable platform for anyone to fly... I like the hand toss handle and found if you let the plane just fly with 75% or more throttle and no input from me its just flies straight out with plenty of time for me to think and get on the sticks. Needless to say I’m very pleased and am looking forward to a long relationship with the RCPowers line of planes. Dave you're awesome And pass that to Mr.Lott also.
    By okiedoak20 | September 22, 2013 | Full review here

This is a great flight video from Jeriah!

Allen15, Flybyknight22 and RobDavis like this.
  3. Bhuwan

Bhuwan Airman

I have to ask the obvious, whats different vs the v2?

4. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Some of the biggest differences is the way the wing is designed and preforms.
    Its more jet looking but also super stable. This is hard to notice which is what we worked so hard on (didn't want it to jump out to the human eye).

The hidden-hand-launch spot is a big improvement. So much easier and safer to launch. Guys always get a kick out of that at the field.

Its also got more scale looks compared to the V2, flies slower and more efficient. Parts where added to the body for looks and parts take off the rear for better air flow efficiency (and quieter).

Bottom line, after flying both, the F-35 V3 does everything the V2 seems to be "trying to do" if that makes sense.

Flybyknight22, RobDavis and twan1997 like this.
  5. Bhuwan

Bhuwan Airman

Thanks Dave.

DavePowers likes this.
  6. twan1997

twan1997 Rookie

one question though, I built the f-35 v2 and to me, it seems that the "fat" nose and the larger size of the v2 should creat more drag and fly slower as compared to the v3's I guess more aerobatic nose and also the smaller size? could you explain this a bit more in details? :) thanks

7. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

The "Aerodynamic Drag" of both models is roughly equivalent. While the F-35 V2 had larger wings the V3 has a larger body.

8. squishy

squishy Top Gun

I love the beard Scott, you're lookin all growd up and stuff...

9. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Hahaha!

10. SteveD

SteveD Rookie

Thinking of doing this one as my first build, haven't had much luck with scale jet pdf's from the other rc forums. I can fly a bixler with a 2200kv upgrade reasonably well, would the F18 be too big of a jump in skill level?

11. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Oh cool, you should be just fine then.

You probably could do the F-18 alright but it is a bit fast, but that Bixler is fast too.

To be safe, I would personally go with the F-35 V3 first as its just slower and more stable. The score-fold-notch makes it very simple to put together and if you get stuck anywhere just post a pic here and we'll help out.

Flybyknight22 and Grey like this.
  12. Nel1028

Nel1028 Rookie

Hy Dave can I ask you one question,why the f35 v3s is not free?but the v2 is free

13. Jeriah

Jeriah Top Gun

Hey I decided to build the f35 v3 first. Here's a few shots of the build so far. Just need to glue a few more things, sand, and paint!

If you were inside your plane... You would never crash.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Hey good question. What we generally "charge for" is development time, production time, customer support, etc. The F-35 V3 didn't come together easy for us. It was a solid year of trying to make it the plane it is now. Something like this we definitely charge for to cover our costs.

The F-35 V2 though, was put together much quicker (it piggy backed on alot of other planes break throughs) and didn't have such a large campaign backing it. Plus the cost of the Course it was featured in help off set the development and support cost.

We do hope to come out with anther cool free PDF plane in the years to come if it works out.

15. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Hey fast building Jeriah! What power system are you planning for it? (motor, battery, ESC, prop)

16. Blosie

Blosie Cadet

Great job just giving the F-35 a first shot myself
    Rob image.jpg

17. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Wow Rob! Wow!

18. Jeriah

Jeriah Top Gun

I test flew it today! amazing! the most stable plane ive flown yet by far! i was using a motor from rc timer (i think), (2200 kv) a little more power than the micro jet. 2200 battery and a huge 50 amp esc lol. flew amazing with it though! video coming soon!

Flybyknight22 and DavePowers like this.
  19. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Hey Jeriah, so cool to hear! Great job dude.

Jeriah likes this.
  20. Jeriah

Jeriah Top Gun

thanks! cant wait to build the f22! then eventually all the rest!

Butch1953 and Wingnut32 like this.