F-18 V3: The “Smart-Plane” (Free)

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Jun 10, 2013.

1. “The F-18 V3 Is The First To Be Called A ‘Smart-Plane’.”

“Thoughtful work went into every piece”
    Still amazed by the design of this build. The new tails are perfectly angled when they fit in the slots. I can't believe how much thoughtful work went into every piece, slot and tab. Great work guys!
    By dsoleil | July 26, 2013 | Full review here

“Steady as a trainer”
    Now I know why Dave Powers loves this flying miracle! This is an absolutely remarkable nice airplane! An amusement park with wings. All thumbs up, fantastic! A steady and extremely fun machine to fly slowly. And it has super hovering capacity! A very entertaining airplane! Steady as a trainer too!. Good job RCP guys!
    By Airflow | August 2, 2013 | Full review here

“I love how it flys”
    Today my son and I flew my new F-18 V3. I love how it flys. It does high alpha effortlessly. My son did the maiden with a Super Mega Jet motor which initially seemed too powerful for this airframe. Granted, my son thinks the throttle only has a setting for 100%.
    By CrashAndLearn August 4, 2013 | Full review here

POWER SYSTEM
    Motor:
    ESC:
    Prop:
    Battery:
    Servos:
    Radio:
    2200kv, 30A max
    30A
    6x4 APC
    11.1v, 1600mAh, 20C
    2-6 metal gear
    2.4 GHz 6CH
    SPECIFICATION
    Scale:
    Length:
    Wing Span:
    Wing Area:
    Weight:
    Channels:
    1/20
    44.35” (112.6 cm)
    30” (76.2 cm)
    3.3 sq ft (0.31 sq m)
    16-26 oz (450 - 740 g)
    3-6

Comes Free With Sign Up

2. “Flies exactly as advertised”
    Thanks for designing an awesome airplane! I've built and crashed the F-22 v2 and the F-35 v2. I am a novice. Learned to fly with the Firebird Stratos and a sim for my iPhone. The F-22 would slide out when turning and quickly became a pile of foam. The F-35 always seemed to want it's nose pointed skyward, it too became a pile of foam. I decided to build the V3 F-35 but became stuck on the step to attach the wing to the nose piece. I put it aside and decided to build the F-18 v3. Wow...very easy to build. I built it stock exactly like the plans called for, elevons only and KF2. What an amazing airplane. Like I said, I am a novice. Wind or not, this plane doesn't care, it just flies great. Want to turn left or right, it does it with ease and the nose stays exactly where its supposed to be. I fly on half throttle and it just flies. If I want to do a loop, I just bump up the throttle a bit and it loops faster than I can release the stick back to neutral. If I want to do a roll, I just point the nose about 30 degrees high and hold the stick left or right and it rolls like a champ. I have flown this plane about 10 times now and all landings have been exactly where I want them to be, at my feet AND in one piece. This plane is a HOME RUN! And it's very easy and fun to fly. If it helps anyone out, I take off with 50% throws and 30% expo on both elevator and aileron. After a lap or two, I flips the switches and use 100% throws and 20% expo on both elevator and aileron. I use 1800 mah batteries and at my half throttle cruise speed I can get around 9 minutes flying time. Using a power meter it draws just under 20 amps at full throttle. If you are a novice (like me) don't be afraid to build this airplane. You'll be surprised how it'll build your confidence in the air. Sorry to run on here... I'm just excited to finally have a plane that flies exactly as advertised!
    By jm0348 | September 13, 2013 | Full review here

You guys got to see this video by F1wannabe:

Vikas, 1897, MIG and 9 others like this.
  3. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Big :D:D Time to start working...

topgamer84 likes this.
  4. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

going out for the plans now! Build starts tonight!

troubleXome and wattail2 like this.
  5. wattail2

wattail2 Cadet

im prob gona build this one first

troubleXome likes this.
  6. JettaManDan

build has begun...

full size plans from staples..and 2 sheets of 29x39 depron from grayson hobby...

plans..
    [​IMG]

main wing cut
    [​IMG]

elevons cut..ailerons cut and taped..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

carbon spar cut..grooved..and glued...
    [​IMG]

enough for me for tonight....gotta cut out the rest of the templates...will do more tonight and post tomorrow...

the plans are dynamite! and a very small parts count....diggin it...

Dan

7. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Oh cool Dan! Thanks for posting man.

RCJohnnyB, topgamer84 and zkhan like this.
  8. JettaManDan

got a lot more done tonight....will have it complete tomorrow and hope for a flight possibly...going 2x4 servo setup... with a 2826 2200kv motor...a 40 amp esc...and a 6x4 of course....

topgamer84 likes this.
  9. wattail2

wattail2 Cadet

How much diffrent is the internal design on compared to the v2?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

10. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

The frame is completely different and much simpler. It's two small pieces in the middle of the nose, and their primary role is to hold the shape of the nose.

RCJohnnyB likes this.
  11. JettaManDan

my build is done and i will be posting pics shortly...but yes..this one design feature is the best part of the new plane. A super simple former that Scott and Dave designed makes the assembly of the 3D nose a complete snap....i hate 3D noses honestly...they suck to cut out ;) and then make glue right..but this one was different (still sucked to cut out perfectly though! lol! ;) )

if you build the former right...the pieces of the nose will line up and you can glue them around the former piece by piece and it just magicially ends up perfect! SOOOOO nice! and then just glue the nose together and you are done...

this plane was a breeze to build..it has maybe what? 12? 13 pieces total? that is it....

anyway...on to the rest of my build pics...

nacels cut out and started to be glued (this is where i deviate from the build plans...) they call for the nose to be made after the wing plate. But i always like to build my planes lower halves 1st..why? casue you can add the servo's and setup the control surfaces with everything level and even....makes the control rod length easy to come up with. For me..if i built the top side early then this step would be harder. As i saw with my Mig-29V2 build i did it this way as well..and my 1st flight i needed like one click of trim...so it works for me....but i digress!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then started my servo install....i also went a different way on this...without any mixers in hand i can't run the switchable setup like these guys do...so for right now i went with a 2x4 setup (2 servo's running the 4 control surfaces) becasue the rear fuselage sections are flush with the top plate..you can't run outboard control horns (found this out the hard way after trying it) so i ran the servo's to the outboard side..but then ran the elevon pushrods back into the plane to hit the horns on the inside...needs to do a large Z bend of sorts....but it works...had to add a slit into the fuselage sides to do this..but i'm cool with that....then just some shorter z bends for the aileron rods...this gives me the option later with my placement to add 2 more servos for a mixed setup in the future...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

that was the most complex part of the build...but still not tough.....

3D nose was next....cut it out (sucks!!) hahaha! and then the 2 former pieces....glue them together as in the plans and then get them in place..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i then glues the sides of the nose together...if you do one side at a time it really makes itself...i added some small additional bracing in the nose just for my liking...so i can grab it by the nose and not feel like i'm gonna crush it...take your time..glue one side...then the other..and finally the top and you are done..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

you slide the nose in place..the tabs line up..and done! The canopy is pretty self explanatory...and the vertical stabs are simple...

finished pics!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

was done last night....this morning i go to painting it....going with simple blue and some accent stripes...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

waiting for that to dry....then will paint the canopy black and do some snazzy stuff! lol!

the goal is a Maiden this afternoon..and then melt! 96+ degrees today..sucks...but gonna brave it...stay tuned....should have the finishing touches done this morning and will post up...

any questions please ask!

Dan

RCJohnnyB, haznie, JT03 and 6 others like this.
  12. JettaManDan

well thanks to 90 degree morning heat my paint dried in a flash! almost as soon as it hit the plane! so with the paint done and dry i got to making it look pretty..added some foam missles i had laying around from another plane..and then just used some colored duct tape for the rest...cut it out in strips and lay it on..done in like 20 minutes...

here is the result!

plane with black canopy and missles on...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i then finished my electronics install....the guys didn't put a turtle deck in the plans..so i stuffed the ESC and Rx down in the bottom of the plane....secured them..and then made a bulkhead...i thin made a turtle deck with velcro for the battery to be monunted to..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and now the finished Product! Some duct tape strips and she is ready to fly!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

heading to work now with her...gonna try to get a maiden in this afternoon and a video up tonight...looks killer!

thanks guys for a sweet new plane to build!

Dan

Thaygu, haznie, JT03 and 10 others like this.
  13. wattail2

wattail2 Cadet

is it more or is ur vertical stablizers to stright compared to how dave has his f-18? it makes it look wierd they look taller too.

topgamer84 likes this.
  14. CptChaos

CptChaos Airman

Looks like Dan installed the stabilizers at a 90° angle while on Dave's plane they are slightly angled outwards. They don't look bigger for me though.

@dan: Nice looking plane, as always. I like the AA rocket dummys on the wingtips... erm... they ARE dummys, aren't they?! o_O

I knew some of the old school guys would rush it on the first build, but I didn't expect you (and F1 of course) to be THAT fast. Kudos!

topgamer84 and ship13 like this.
  15. JettaManDan

they are supposed to be leaning out a bit more...but i made mine a bit more vertical to have them clear the control rods i have running past them...

topgamer84 and DavePowers like this.
  16. JettaManDan

lol....i knew they were coming out..and with a few peeps coming down to me this weekend i wanted to have a brand new plane ready to go..so knowing the release time i had everyting ready to rock..i'm normally a slower builder...but wanted to slam this one out and get people some feedback on it...Greg beat me to the 1st flight..but then again he has that kind of job lol

topgamer84 likes this.
  17. CptChaos

CptChaos Airman

(Sorry... just edited my last post one more time, because I forgot to mention the rockets!)

topgamer84 likes this.
  18. JettaManDan

lol...i do have a bottle rocket launcher in the works..but not ready yet! ;) lol! i bought an EDF F-18 a few years ago and it comes with an extra set of missles..and they seemed to be a perfect fit for this...some hot glue and they were on there....they may be a bit small but i dig them lol

topgamer84 and Tgr1ff like this.
  19. richb2599

richb2599 Rookie

Dave,
    Did you test any of the V3's with bigger batteries? 1800 ma 3s, 2200 ma 3s? I don't have any 1600's yet.

20. JettaManDan

i'm gonna run mine with a 1800 and a 2200...i made the turtle deck depe enough to run them..it will take it for sure...

thanks to FED50H weighing it...mine came out to 18.8 ounces with no battery....mine is heavy..all hot glue and 2 cans of paint and duct tape stripes lol

topgamer84 likes this.