Eurofighter V5 Official Thread

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Aug 17, 2016.

1. EURO_Title.png

DOWNLOAD.png

EURO_Pics.png
    EURO_Specs.png

The Euro V5 FEATURES
    Wow, what a plane! It does everything and it does it really easy. First off, the build is very simple and it has the best hatch ever. Lots of room with extra space to spare. The control surfaces are just the right size to give you the scale aerobatics but never throw you out of control. It’s delta wing keeps you stable and is so forgiving. I found myself flying this plane at half throttle with one alot of the time! It’s that easy and relaxing to fly. It’s a fly-and-laugh kind of plane. The rudder is really nice on this one. It gives you pure yaw and keeps your wings level. This keeps you looking good in the turns, heavy winds, and landings. Start off with just 15 degree throws all around and increase throws up to 30 degrees when you are ready to crank things up. This thing is so much fun, we like this one so much!

START BUILDING

- PARTS: Get your motor, battery, ESC, foam, radio, servos, hardware, etc on this PARTS page.

- INSTRUCTIONS: Your plans have some build tips. Also see the Basics Instructions as well as post 2, and post 3.

- CONTROLS: Elevons and rudders are what we recommend. If you ever need help setting up a plane, see our PARKJET EBOOKS.

- NOT SURE?: These planes are very rewarding. We’d like to help you get in the air if you need anything, just ask. info@RCPowers.com.

DOWNLOAD.png
    PLEASE NOTE: Our cart software has been updated January 2017.
    This particular product will not appear in your RCPowers “My Downloads” section.
    For faster service, a direct download link will be instantly emailed to you upon purchase.

See Similar Products Here

2. malukk likes this.
  3. EURO V5 PART ASSEMBLY
    Euro_Instructions.png

4. Shannon

Shannon Administrator

So... I thought I'd release this early for those of you who would like to build over the weekend.

Yay!

5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Payment is completed, Thanks Shannon, Dave!
    But No EF until the winter is over. Flooded by other projects...:confused: !

6. Wow! That was quick!
    Looks really good!

7. TomMonton

TomMonton Top Gun

8. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

9. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Congrats RCP, in rapid v5 planes releases! Now this is what I called hard work! I haven't started the T-50 v5 yet because of tight schedules in the last 3 weeks, you guys have released another anticipated delta which would be loved by builders!

Again, congrats Dave and Shannon! :)

Parkflyers International Parkjets

10. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Thank you Shannon,

Bought it!
    Downloaded it!
    Building it!

11. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Waiting to be taped together...:)

2016-08-27 08.47.43.jpg

Cheers,

Scott

12. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Scott?

Dang Scott!
    I just can't hang with you man!

Babysitting all the Grandchildren this weekend. Right now they have me surrounded and I think they plan on taking me captive unless I surrender all the chocolate!

I just hope I have enough :)

13. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi FBK -

May the force be with you! I suspect that they have their Grandpa wrapped around their little fingers;) Besides, isn't a grandparent's prerogative to return the grandkids hopped up on sugar and caffeine as payback to your own kids?!

I don't normally prefer planes with canards, but these are placed a little differently than previous canard planes I have built. I've never had a Eurofighter in my hangar and given how impressed I am by the Su-27 and F-22 V5s, this seemed like the one to try. I like it's size and simplicity, should be a real fun plane to rip up the sky with.:)

There might be a tweak or two here and there based on what I learned from previous delta wings I have built, but expect it to be a very simple, straightforward build and nice and light with only three servos.

Supposed to be lots of rain the week coming after much beautiful flying weather, so I hope to have it built and ready by next weekend. Today looks like a great opportunity to go make some park jet noise, so I'm off to the field!:cool:

Stay strong, Grandpa!

Cheers,

Scott

14. Got the plans! Now, this is on top of my list to build!

Have to start working on preparing the files for CNC...

15. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

After flying today, I managed to get the tiled sheets taped together and started cutting a few pieces out of some scrap foam I had before using up any full sheets.

2016-08-27 16.00.04.jpg

So far top of the fuselage, hatch door, fuselage and canopy. I made some extra cooling holes that will be hidden by the "engines" when they go on to hopefully encourage a bit more airflow through the electronics bay. Indicated by where the pencil is pointing, they are 2" long by about 3/8" wide.

My build will be primarily of MPF Grade B, I will use a scrap piece of Depron for the vertical stabilizer to hopefully forego any reinforcement there. I will have elevons, rudder and will be using KF4 to help with even more stability and wind penetration. I have to measure those out later in the build.

For a power setup, I am going to go with a standard 2826/6 2200 Kv motor, 6x4 APC prop, probably use a 40A ESC so if I decide to upgrade the motor later on I don't need to change the ESC also. Looks like a very low parts count and very straight forward build, I hope to get the rest of the parts cut out tomorrow and start main assembly:)

Cheers,

Scott

16. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

A quick burst of energy before supper, all the parts except KFs cut out, should be a fairly light plane even after all is said and done, raw pieces weigh only 96 gr/3.4 oz (again not including KFs).

2016-08-27 17.16.20.jpg

Some glue, tape, reinforcement and some gear and she'll be a Eurofighter V5:cool:

Cheers,

Scott

17. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

Hey Scott. I know you like around 40% root and 35% at the tips for the KFs. Is it the same formula for deltas? What if one wanted to go with a KF2 instead of KF4?

18. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi pileit1 -

I would assume it would be the same whether KF2 or KF4, I haven't experimented much with just KF2, I found they make my planes feel just a bit floaty, but that is just my experience for what it is worth. You could try bigger and them trim down, it is easier to experiment that way in my experience than making them small and trying to add on.

In my experimentation, if the KFs get too large, it seems to cause the CG and centre of lift to get a little out of whack. The plane will hesitate or be harder to pull out at the bottom of a loop or dive. Also, I have found when turning, sometimes the tail would drop sideways or the nose would wander around more and the plane wouldn't track as well.

When working on the original Mig-35A and the Mig-FA, we started a bit bigger, I think around 45% at the root and 40% at the tip and just trimmed small amounts off from that.

I did quite a bit of experimenting with the Parkflyer's International F-16XL and KF size which is of course another form of delta, I wrote about what I learned in this article. I found I ended up a little more than 40% at the root and the tip, but it felt good for that layout which is a cranked delta. I probably could have trimmed a bit more off, but it was definitely getting to it's sweet spot with the percentages I found.

I have found if they get too small, the "bubble" behind the step is too small and doesn't give the same stability that I like in my planes. It is interesting and fun to experiment, sometimes just shaving off a couple of mm makes a difference in how the plane feels.

I will experiment a bit with the Eurofighter, I might not go all the way to 40% at the root, there needs to be a little space between the trailing edge of the KF and the prop slot in my experience to allow the bubble to be there for a bit before it hits the prop slot.

I found this old video of Dave Powers' from 5 yrs ago where he was using about 40% at the root and the tip for a starting point. At about 1:00 in to the video, Dave discusses the 40% KF plan.

It seems to be a good place to start for any swept wing plane in my testing and experience, even one that isn't swept much like the F-18. Hope this helps:)

Cheers,

Scott

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  19. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Scott,

I plan to build with KF2 only hoping it will make the plane a bit floaty, like a kite :)

If it's not fairly calm out I generally don't fly so I don't nessecarily need the wind penetration that KF4 would provide. I may regret that build decision though.

Guys like Ian see lots of wind and probably can't do without the KF4.

I have ZERO experience flying a delta wing.

That's one of the reasons I built the 2.88 to see how a delta with canards behaves with different power setups and this is my primary reason for building the Euro V5 as well.

I want to get some delta wing flying in before I go all in on building Bimo's 150% scale B-58 Hustler, Park Jet Bomber :)

I think this Euro will be a far better plane to mirror the Hustler as I would like to build two Euro V5s.

One with canards and one without just to see what it does and how it behaves without the them.

Time may prevent building two.

Looking forward to seeing what you discover about this plane that we may not already know.

The Euro looks like a well behaved short field Flyer and I am excited about building and flying it.

I will be building with MPF grade A instead of B this time around. A is not quite as thick but smoother on both sides. If I had grade B I would prefer it instead.

I plan to tile print this one at home also.

We'll see how this one goes.

20. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

...And that config. works just fine, a little less lift, but still stable as a fully KF2.
    #21 1080pHD
    [​IMG]