Elevon Set up using DX6i in detail

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by jcrankshaw, Aug 19, 2010.

1. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

So I have been wanting to do a flow chart of some sort to help people program their planes to fly without mixing up left/right and up/down. Nothing in this hobby is more frustrating than programming your TX to correctly work your elevons. My first flight flying the F-22 resulted in a slow downward left to the ground. In an effort to correct this, one would apply a little right and down on the stick. When I did this, I ended up more left and into the ground because my elevons were programmed backwards. Instead of a flow chart. I will detail out my set up.

For those of you who are new, Elevons are a combination of elevator and ailerons mixed into 2 flaps. This set up is essential in order to fly most of the planes purchased on this site (unless you go the Y harness route and love a mess of wires)

So first, let's be clear on what position the elevons go to in order to turn left and fly upwards.

So check these two pictures out. This first picture should happen when you move the stick to the left (Left elevon up, right elevon down, plane turns left). The second picture should happen when you move the stick down (both elevons up, plane flys up to the sky which is where you want it) I know this is so basic but I struggled because I couldn't wrap my head around the physics of it because I tend to think too deeply about simple crap.

My next post to this thread will be your servo placement on the plane and connection into the RX

Attached Files:

ComfortTexasGuy likes this.
  2. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

Servo Placement

Okay servo placement is also essential for this set up I have. First thing I do with new servos is plug them into either the aileron or elevator channel and power them up. The servo will center itself. Unplug the centered servo.

When I place my servos on the plane, I make sure the logo seen in the pic is on the nose side of the blue line. Your servo arm should rest at 90 degrees. mine is not because I added sub trim (discussed later) SO when plugged back in with the stick in neutral, your servo should be at a 90 degree angle as the blue lines depect.

Right wing servo (when looking from the tail of the plane as the first post shows) will plug into the Aileron channel and left wing servo into the Elevator channel.

Attached Files:

ComfortTexasGuy and e3_Scott like this.
  3. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

DX6i Set up

Okay so we have the servos in place and know what UP and LEFT look like on the plane... Cool! Let's do the DX6i Set up

Sorry my screen is scratched up like the 5th generation iPod before Apple created scratch free screens. HUH? Anyways, so go ahead and name your model and select plane and all that basic set up stuff.

Step 1: Go to Wing Tail Mix (pic 1) and ACTivate your Elevon setting (pic 2) then exit
    Step 2: Go to your Reverse setting (Pic 3) and reverse your ELEVator (Pic 4)

If I am not mistaken, this is all you have to do to get your Elevons activated and working correctly but lets take it a bit further for my set up.

Step 3: On the Adjust list go to Mix 1 (Pic 5) and Activate your Ailerons, dial in L=125% and R=125%, Make sure the SW is ON and the TRIM is ACTive (Pic 6)

Step 4: Repeat Step 3 for your MIX2 which does the Elevator channel.

I hope this is useless to someone out there. This set up only works with the servo set up that I posted. If your elevons do not function correctly (left on the stick moves the plane right) or up is down and down is expensive, I have calculated about 16 different possibilities where you find yourself messing with the REVERSE settings and/or how the servos are plugged into the RX.

Again, I hope this helps soneone out there. This is how I do it

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      28.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      25.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      26.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      27.7 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      23.9 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      27.5 KB
      Views:
  4. DJRubberCow

DJRubberCow Ace Pilot

I just wanted to post an alternative way of doing elevons with the DX6i. What annoys me is that you cannot adjust the travel way of each channel if you do elevon mixing. If you move your stick full up, it only moves your flaps half the possible way down (to keep room for any input for aileron). However, if you really need the throws here is an alternative: Use the two free mixes your radio comes with. Just do Mix 1 ELEV->AILE With D: 100% and U: 100%. Then do Mix 2 AILE->ELEV With L: -100% and R: -100%. That way, you have WAY more throws with each separate function, just don't expect perfect linearity when you slam your stick to any of the four corners (i.e. full elevator AND full aileron throw).

5. flycap93

flycap93 Rookie

I am trying to set up elevons now with my DX6. But all I have is delt wing mix (no elevon setup) . So I have to work with that but its working good so far!

6. DJRubberCow

DJRubberCow Ace Pilot

Be careful not to mix the DX6 with the DX6i - those two are fundamentally different. The naming scheme of Spektrum is a little misleading in this case, the 6 stands for the amount of channels used (6) which is identical in both cases but the i stands for improved or something and basically means a whole re-do of the internals (and externals) of the radio. The DX6i has three different predefined mixes, ELEVON, DUALAILE and V-TAIL.
    Elevon is basically what you call delta wing mix, DUALAILE just splits the aileron signal over two channels (for added flaps support for example or for two sets of aileron, can be combined with ELEVON afaik to get the F22 with elevons and separate ailerons) and V-Tail mixes Elevator with RUDDER (in comparison to Elevator with Aileron on the Elevon Setting)

I hope this clarification served on confusing you even more :)

7. flycap93

flycap93 Rookie

Yeah I try to clarifiy that most of the time but I have the DX6 NOT DX6i

8. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Ace Pilot

Hope this thread isn't too old to bump. Just wanted to thank you for this write-up. The manual is worthless for setting up elevons - it seems to assume you know what to do already. My servos were mounted reverse of yours, so I just had to flip-flop what you did, and it worked perfectly!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

9. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Ace Pilot

I hate to bump a thread this old, but I just wanted to say thanks for posting this! The manual is worthless for complex setups like elevons. I did have to reverse the setups, because my servos are mounted differently, but your instructions got me there.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

10. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

I am glad you found it useful! I wrote this thread for you! Actually for people just like you. I struggled setting mine up. Dave had a video where he specifically stated that you will struggle setting your stuff up so I decided to illiminate that. Not everyone bothers to search for this material so I am glad you did and I am sure you are glad too... Jettamandan, argonath, fly4fun and I have a lot of "beginner" threads out there for stuff like this. The 4 of us are regulars on here too, Hell I think Argonath never logs off

11. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

think the DX7 makes this easier...Delta is elevon in case it confuses people...and the menus on the DX7 gives you individual control for end points on either elevon channel...so it is easy to setup and get your control surfaces to match each other... DX6i doesn't give you that option? From what i have read it does..but you have to delve into another menu and turn something on or off to allow end point control even in delta mode...saw that on RCgroups a while back...might need someone to find..

12. lowkeylaidback

lowkeylaidback Cadet

I did my stryker different, I wanted max movement of the control surfaces, without having to change the travel of my servos to 125%.
    One servo jack in ali and one in elev
    dx6I
    we will go right down the menus starting with the;
    SETUP menu
    model type = areo
    model name = whatever
    monitor = no changes
    reverse = no changes (as i started out with a new model)
    thro cut = INH
    wingtailmix = dualaile act
    d/r combo = alie
    timer = 8:00,,,, switch set to thr cut

Move to adjust list

D/R & expo low rates (launching and landing)
    ali 0 = 80% +25
    elev 0 = 80% +25
    rudd 0 = 100% INH

Travel adjust = no changes
    sub trim = your preference
    flaps = no changes

mix 1 = act
    elev> flap act
    rate d +100% u +100%
    sw = on trim = act

Reboot the RX to save
    this configuration allows for more movement of the surfaces versus the elevon option in the wingtail mix, try it and see. Anything over 80% in the D/R combo menu over drives the servo.
    I got this from a guy named Tim on RCGroups, it seems to be a widely used config.

13. kanekd

kanekd Cadet

If you enable Vtail also (wingtailmix) and add rudders like on the F-22 you get rudder/elevator mix ++ Aileron/elevator mix
    Thrust Vectoring !!!!!!

14. Soar Neck

Soar Neck Rookie

All these differnt ways to set up the dx6i with elevons and yet none of them seem to be the correct way. its a pitty

15. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

Welcome to the group - care to enlighten us?

16. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

All depends on how you place your servos. There are so many combinations.

17. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Ace Pilot

There is no one correct way. Jeff's method works great. If I was smart I'd write down how my mixes are set up due to my servos being mounted differently than his. If the manual wasn't so terrible, we wouldn't need threads like this!

18. dave0955

dave0955 Rookie

Hi, I have a blitzworks BZ-22 Raptor.
    Anyway, did the elevon mixing thing on the dx6i and all is good except, up is down and down is up.
    Doesnt matter what I reverse. If I reverse ailerons instead of elevator, then left is right and right is left, but elevator works correctly.
    So, it seems, Im either going to have reversed ailerons, or reversed elevator, neither of which is preferable.
    Would welcome any of your ideas.
    Thanks Dave

19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Not sure about the dx6i, but on my radio I have the ability to set travel at 100 % or -100 %. If you can do this, reverse the servos this way.

20. dave0955

dave0955 Rookie

Thanks for the thought on that. Gave it a try but no change, still in the same boat.