Drone Registration Is Back

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by JEB, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Flyte,
    Yes you can see where it lands.

You are constantly monitoring its location on the computer screen with its location overlapped on google maps so you know where it is pretty much all the time. You are watching it on the computer screen superimposed on the map as it flies.

MP gives you a split screen with the waypoint mission map and quad flying the mission on one side and OSD flight health parameters like speed, bearing, pitch, roll, battery health etc on the left,

Mission planner speaks to you and warns you verbally if you loose gps sat link and when it goes into RTL mode it verbally tells you in Mission Planner on the comp.

MP verbally tells you when the quads Motors are armed or disarmed, tells you whatvflying mode you are in if you change modes or if you loose onboard compass etc.

Haven’t crashed it in a tree yet. :p

A few times when it FAILSAFE landed it was probably 200 yards or so from initial take off location.

On a Good Mission on return to Home it usually lands within a five feet or so of its take off location.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    CrstnJdi and FlyteTime like this.
  2. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Good stuff Flyby, I used to have a Blade Chroma and the RTL worked great. As you have described, it does have it's caveats. One time I was showing a friend how the return function works, I was low to the ground and there were power lines above me and the program on the Chroma automatically climbs the quad to a set distance, can't remember what that was and up she went heading for the lines. I was able to quickly cancel the RTL and no harm was done. I never did that again!

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  3. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Flyte,

Thanks, yeah it is fun but I don’t come across many people doing this.

I can say that I have never had a crash with the computer flying the Cheerson CX-20 with Mission Planner but I have dumped it a time or two flying around in the yard manually.

FlyteTime likes this.
  4. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Yeah RTL probably seemed like a great idea to an engineer that designed it but in these small quads and helicopters it seems to get lots of people in trouble that fail to fully understand how it works.

FlyteTime likes this.
  5. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

I actually knew it did that but forgot about it. I think we may have been into our version of Swamp Juice, lol. I've enjoyed chatting with you buddy. I'm fixing to activate my RTB (return to bed) function and sign off.:) Later.

6. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

2018 FAA reauthorisation bill.

New bill requires electronic remote I.D. even on rubber band powered planes.

CrstnJdi and Wildthing like this.
  7. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

New bill would include so called “Alpha” class planes like this shown below.

Hmmm wonder how much weight remote ID and power source would add to this plane and still enable it to fly?

64C089FC-9297-47EB-AC0F-CFFDA16BFBFB.jpeg

Wildthing likes this.
  8. DualDesertEagle

DualDesertEagle Ace Pilot

What are they expecting to change with such stupid regulations?????

It's even worse than I once pictured with my post about the pilots of palm-sized quadcopters having to report to flight controllers!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2018
    CrstnJdi, Flybyknight22 and Wildthing like this.
  9. So horribly stupid

10. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

They can shovel it where the sun don't shine! I will never abide by that nonsense. Carry on modeler's.

11. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

I hear what you are saying Flyte but it’s getting to be more of a liability than it is fun to fly, assuming this bill becomes law.

They don’t want you flying at night now. Flying at night with good running lights was once a hoot but can’t do that anymore it would seem without risking huge fines.

To keep insurance I pay the AMA membership.
    New rules already in place make it harder to find legal places large enough to fly.

The defense department is driving some of this legislation because of “IED” Drones used by terrorists overseas and for other reasons.

I have almost stopped building and flying as a result.

When I do fly it’s on my own property or inside the house with small heli’s and quads.

Feds are starting to make it too much of a liability to do any medium to long range flying or flying above 400-ft.

It seems the hand writing is on the wall now.

AMA is trying to fight it and many of us continue contact with our legislators but just not enough people care to get involved until it’s too late it seems.

We will watch and see what happens, perhaps more common sense will prevail but if the FAA thinks a freakin rubber band powered plane needs electronic remote ID,.. I figure we are screwed.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  12. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Yup Wild, government seems a bit out of control wanting total control, it’s what governments do best.

Wildthing likes this.
  13. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

I hear you Flyby, I only fly at a private field where I live so I'm not sweating it. Plus I've gotten more interested in shooting and buying guns lately. ;) I go through phases of interests.

Wildthing and Flybyknight22 like this.
  14. JTiger

JTiger Airman

So I read the pertinent section of the bill that was just passed. From what I read, most changes will be several months (or years) out because a lot of it isn't solid policy (i.e. all pilots will have to use remote I.D.) but establishing committees to look into stuff like that. My main gripe with it is the repeal of 336 as is gives the FAA power to create more rules in the future. I also seem to recall something about specific drone regulation falling under the DOT instead of the FAA? I guess we'll see what happens...

15. CrstnJdi

CrstnJdi Airman

lol

JTiger likes this.
  16. JTiger

JTiger Airman

This video actually has a really good overview of what some of the main concerns are.

Flybyknight22 and CrstnJdi like this.
  17. CrstnJdi

CrstnJdi Airman

Check this out as well: and :
    This one is to a FPV coalition : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JLoIpNJ0uomhPs9eA28oQ

Flybyknight22 and JTiger like this.
  18. JTiger

JTiger Airman

19. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

These requirements turn the RC/scratch build hobby into a burden and will destroy the RC hobby in America.
    1. Install transponder for electronic ID
    2. Pay for and Pass a written exam
    3. Builders must meet FAA build requirements
    4. Present flying credentials to police on demand
    5. FAA confiscation of drone when they think appropriate etc.
    6. Issuing of stiff fines and or jail time for non-compliance.

Unless major changes are made, this will be the end of park flying as we have known it in America.

Major corporations like Amazon, Google, Dominoes and others want the airspace from
    0-400 feet for package, pizza etc delivery systems.

They can’t have guys like us in their way. They have the money, power and influence to shut us down.

Some guys who own or have access to private property out in the middle of nowhere may feel like they get a pass but these changes in the FAA 2018 reauthorization act effectively end the hobby for most.

20. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

They can take my remote from my cold dead hands. :mad: :D:D:D

JTiger, CrstnJdi and Wildthing like this.