Drone Registration Is Back

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by JEB, Dec 14, 2017.

1. JEB

JEB Cadet

In section 1092(d) of the National Defense Authorization Act, on page 329 of the PDF containing the full text, and reads as follows:

(d) RESTORATION OF RULES FOR REGISTRATION AND MARKING OF UNMANNED AIRCRAFT
    .—The rules adopted by the Administrator
    of the Federal Aviation Administration in the matter of registration
    and marking requirements for small unmanned aircraft (FAA-2015-
    7396; published on December 16, 2015) that were vacated by the
    United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
    in Taylor v. Huerta (No. 15-1495; decided on May 19, 2017) shall
    be restored to effect on the date of enactment of this Act.

It appears that this is trying to circumvent an earlier decision and there is no specification of whether any modification to the requirements that prevents it from being struck down using the same reason as before. In the FAA Modernization Act of 2012 Section 336(a), it specifically prevents the FAA from regulating hobby model aircraft, and was the basis of Taylor v. Huerta.

CrstnJdi and Flybyknight22 like this.
  2. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

The almighty Guvment giveth and taketh away. :( That is if it passes. I'd love to hear what the reasoning is for trying to reintroduce the statute.

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  3. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Ace Pilot

I'm not registering s**t

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

CrstnJdi and FlyteTime like this.
  4. csitas

csitas Ace Pilot

If you've been paying attention to the news lately you would notice that we are not lacking boneheaded jerks in the hobby. A lot of brainless people are doing what ever, and it seems that includes running into real planes and what ever. I won't conform either but, I stay pretty local.

5. CrstnJdi

CrstnJdi Airman

Either way, or no way how, will I ever register for someone else ir-responsiblity (and lack of any of their senses) to use any type of modeling/hobby grade vehicular by r/c means. I'm a patriot, and say let freedom ring. ^_=

FlyteTime and Flybyknight22 like this.
  6. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

I agree!

I’m all for that until they lock my dumb A$$ up for not registering and flying under the influence of “Swamp Shine”. :p

FlyteTime, Wildthing and CrstnJdi like this.
  7. CrstnJdi

CrstnJdi Airman

LOL ^_^

8. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

9. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Thanks Fly for posting that. Now I know how it went down at least. Total crap I say. Can you say "executive decision"?

10. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Yeah I’m hearing what you are saying.

I went ahead and finally registered when it 1st came out.

I paid the $5 bucks then tattooed all my flyables and unmentionables with the # they gave me.

I also have insurance through AMA for the odd pesky Spectater or two that gets in the way of my flying.

Wildthing likes this.
  11. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

I really need to join the AMA for the representation they provide for us RC addicts and the insurance is nice to have.

12. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Flyte,

I use Mission Planner some Flying a quad autonomously and if it looses sat link they have been known to fly off to who knows where.

For that reason alone their insurance isn’t a bad idea to have.

FlyteTime likes this.
  13. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

The idea of autonomous flight is interesting, does the quad fly past L.O.S.? I suppose you could put a downward facing camera on it and scope out deer feeding sites or check on your remote MJ grow. :p

14. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Flyte,

Yes it is very interesting to me at least.

I think Bimo does some autonomous mission flying also based on some of the pictures of his ground station I have seen but not completely certain of that.

To answer your question the vehicle can be made to fly beyond your visual range. When properly setup the craft follows the waypoints burnt into its flight controller that you set for it in Mission Planner.

Where it goes and what it does depends on the mission you plan for it to perform.

Missions that you are capable of flying depend on the vehicle you are using.

A number of factors on how long or how far a mission can be flown depends on the vehicles endurance and flight control capabilities.

Your vehicle needs telemetry so it and Mission Planner can communicate and so you can follow the mission visually from your PC or Android tablet that also has telemetry connected.

The telemetry I use, 3DR, is cheap at about $25 for two 900mhz radios (USA use), antenna and an usb dongle costs about $6 that I sometimes use to connect the telemetry to an Android tablet.

You download the software to your comp I.E. MP (Mission Planner) but there are others you can use that support different flight controllers.

You connect the quad via usb cable to the computer and use Mission Planner to upload the waypoints to the quad for the mission you want it to fly.

When that’s done you disconnect from the comp, connect telemetry to comp via usb, enable the quad (power up), establish a connection radio link with the TX controller and a Telemetry link between the quad and computer then press a button in the computer to “EXECUTE” the mission, then the quad takes off to fly the mission. (Hopefully) :)

You can also use MP to upload the newest firmware to your quads flight controller as well. I have done this without any issue but it’s important that you get the “right” firmware and don’t flash new firmware if you really don’t need it. Proceed with a little caution I guess is what I’m saying.

You can do this just as well with fixed wing aircraft as you can with a quad.

You setup the flight parameters of your vehicle/quad for normal safe manual flying first and program the quad on what to do if radio link is lost etc like an RTL maneuver which means (RTL) “Return to Home” or if battery power dips below an unsafe voltage an auto command to simply land can be added etc, you get the picture.

Those are generally called “FAILSAFE” settings and are an available parameter to be set using Mission Planner.

You get (OSD) on screen display of important flight parameters from the quad to MP on the computer via the telemetry link, battery levels, artificial horizon, pitch and roll of thecwuad etc along with verbal ques from the software.

Lots of things to consider though, just for one example you need to know how long your quad can fly,.. 5 minutes, 10 minutes etc before planning a mission.

What altitude do you want the vehicle to climb to before heading home on a “RTL”. If it returns in a straight line at 10 meters and trees in its path are at say 15 meters then its,.. “Houston we have a problem.

So topography along its flight path is an additional consideration but there are lots of maps that can help you with that in most cases.

Once you understand and get what’s required, properly configure the quad etc it is possible for the bird to take off completely on its own, fly the mission, return, then land on its own without the pilot ever touching the Transmitter.

With a gps, WiFi android watch and android tablet it is possible to put the quad in “Follow Me” mode and have it follow you around like a trained puppy. At least until the battery claps out and crashes the quad :)

You can also program in camera gimble commands along the route do the camera points where you want it to during the mission.

I use a Cheerson CX-20 quad to fly my missions but there are many other and better choices out there.

Here is a quick overview of what a mission looks like at this link. At that site s number of videos are provided along with screen shots of basic/generic mission planning using MP with different vehicles.

They use lots of acronyms so remember “RTL” means return to home, WP means way point etc etc.

http://ardupilot.org/planner/docs/common-planning-a-mission-with-waypoints-and-events.html

There are also, numerous YouTube videos showing great flights and major fails flying autonomously. :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    FlyteTime likes this.
  15. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Thanks a bunch for that very detailed description of how MP works. I'm a technical guy and this stuff fascinates me. I read the link you included and see that there is an awful lot of things you can do autonomously. I especially liked the Verify Height function where it uses Google Earth topo data to assist in not crashing into terrain. Have you ever used it with a fixed wing aircraft? Have you had any mishaps with any of your missions so far? I'm going to check out the YouTube videos your referred to. Cool stuff Flyby!

16. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

I can imagine that this technology could be used for some nefarious stuff if one put their mind to it. I don't even want to say some of the things I'm thinking that you could do. :eek: We don't want to give terrorists any ideas. Not that there are any terrorists on the forum. :D

17. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Flyte,

I have not used it with fixed wing aircraft,... yet :) just this Cheerson CX-20 so far but plenty of other people do. The OSD also gives you the vehicles speed in flight so that is nice to know if your a guy like Wildthing :)

One of the problems with the parameter settings for your quad that one needs to be careful about is programming the return to home altitude too low,.. because you can still fly into stuff that is higher than that setting. :)

Another parameter problem to be aware of is if you setup “FAILSAFE” to return to home if voltage drops below a safe setting, the first thing that the quad tries to do if too low is climb to the RTL altitude setting before heading back.

If it already has a dangerously low battery and then tries to rev up to gain altitude,... well you often have a complete motor power brown out and the quad dives into the dirt. :)

If you program parameters in the quad with these things in mind one can avoid some of those problems.

The biggest problem I have had so far is loss of sat link for the quads onboard GPS receiver. If the quad looses its location what happens????
    I program my FAILSAFE to simply land the quad immediately if it looses gps sat link.

This has happened to me a number of times because in some areas where I fly there are lots of trees that block the gps sat signals enough sometimes to cause problems.

The quads return to home location can be almost anywhere depending on its last reliable gps fix.
    If it thinks RTL location is the park 20 miles away that you and Homey666 were flying at a week ago, guess where the quad is gonna try to go! :p

Remember hearing about all those DJI Phantom Fly always awhile back? That sometimes is caused by loss of sat link and improper FAILSAFE commands setup for the quad to perform if that happens.

So you always need to be certain before take off that you have a rock solid gps link with the quad or make its return to home location it’s “take off” location instead of its “perceived” gps coordinates.

I almost always set my quads RTL to its take off location but many others do not an fly with little problem. I just don’t trust the gps link in more wooded areas.

In a wide open area I wouldn’t be so spooked about relying more on gps.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    FlyteTime likes this.
  18. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Flyte,

They already know and it’s a problem.

This is part if not the primary reason for the FAA reinstituting registration.

You can see how desirable and attractive a flying “IED” beyond visual range is to a terrorist or your plain vanilla dirt bag.

Don’t know exactly how registration would stop that from happening anyway if a creep was determined to do it but I understand why the FAA made the decision.

FlyteTime likes this.
  19. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Here you go Flyte.

This post is several years old that I found when I was looking to see if anybody else was doing this on the forum.

The APM he is referring to is his flight controller.

Here’s the threads link:

https://www.rcpowers.com/community/...nally-working-apm-2-6-arducopter-3-1-4.16971/

FlyteTime likes this.
  20. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

So to go retrieve it does it show you on the map where it landed? Has it ended up in a tree? And how far away was it from the takeoff location?