Depron not available in Sydney Austalia

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by blackbird, Dec 2, 2018.

1. blackbird

blackbird Rookie

Hi I am asking for advice as Depon and similar products are not available in Sydney Australia anymore. Paper covered foam board and corflute are the only substitutes. I have made a lot of RCP planes and I would like to know how to construct them with corflute or foam board. Do I make the corflute planes larger to reduce the weight per sq inch. How do I treat the edges of both corflute and foam board. How do I treat the paper on foam board because the grass on the flying field is damp in the mornings. Hope you can help.

Sidewayskiwi, andy_downs and JTiger like this.
  2. JTiger

JTiger Airman

You'll want to remove the paper from the foamboard, at least where you're gluing the pieces together. If you remove the paper from the entire plane, the foam will be lighter but you'll need to do a little reinforcing with packing tape, carbon fiber, bamboo, etc. If you want to keep the paper but are worried about it getting wet, Flite Test has an article on waterproofing foamboard here: https://www.flitetest.com/articles/how-to-water-proof-foam-board.

This is a thread that has some good observations on building with dollar tree foam: https://www.rcpowers.com/community/threads/dollar-tree-foam-observations.16936/

andy_downs likes this.
  3. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Blackbird (man, your nick reminds me of the SR-71 ), try to get depron sheets from https://tradewarehouse.com.au. They have 6mm and big size sheets as well if I'm not mistaken, mate. Cheers!

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

andy_downs and jimbosflyin like this.
  4. Sidewayskiwi

Sidewayskiwi Ace Pilot

I posted a few weeks ago
    Hobbyking has decided to stop stocking/selling 5 mm xps aeromodelling foam
    Why god knows

5. blackbird

blackbird Rookie

Thanks for your info Bimoadiprakoso. Trade warehouse only stocks large amounts @ $245 per order.All the advice from everybody has been helpful.

JTiger likes this.
  6. quorneng

quorneng Ace Pilot

Hobby King global warehouse appears to still sell the HK foam board. Will they ship to Australia? It might however make it seriously expensive.

Wildthing likes this.
  7. Argonath

Argonath Top Gun

Hobby King has a Warehouse in China and I just checked and it seems that they have a country option for Australia as well.

andy_downs and Wildthing like this.